i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine Management (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/)
-   -   will a MBC help the turbo spool faster? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/will-mbc-help-turbo-spool-faster-122866/)

projectwrx 01-09-2006 09:28 AM

will a MBC help the turbo spool faster?

turbo spools faster with a MBC on other cars, just wondering if its the same way with a WRX

sigma pi 01-09-2006 09:59 AM

if you tune for more boost gain it will do the same thing

ride5000 01-10-2006 06:49 AM

an mbc, if it is an interrupt style, ie ball and spring, WILL allow the turbo to spool faster than any bleed-based boost control system (which includes the stock system).

in other words, it is more dependent on the [I]topology [/I]of the boost control system than it is on the [I]method [/I]of actuation (electronic or mechanical).

projectwrx 01-10-2006 10:30 AM

i was thinking about putting in a joe p or hallman mbc to help the stock turbo spool faster. i dont plan to turn up the boost until i get it tuned, so thats not even an issue. i just want faster spool and solid boost!

VIBEELEVEN 01-10-2006 12:11 PM

Just get it tuned, they can tweak your boost with a tune anyways. DO NOT USE A BOOST CONTROLLER!

ride5000 01-10-2006 01:13 PM

some people take the time to learn what they're doing, and, having learned, can and do use mbcs to great effect. i've got 40k miles on mine. :)

project: what year is your car?

projectwrx 01-10-2006 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=ride5000]some people take the time to learn what they're doing, and, having learned, can and do use mbcs to great effect. i've got 40k miles on mine. :)

project: what year is your car?[/QUOTE]

'04

i used mbcs on my previous turbo'd cars and it worked perfectly. then again... these wrxs are picky mofos.

lightning_wrx 01-10-2006 05:59 PM

i have one on my 02 for at least 10k miles it works fine for me

ride5000 01-11-2006 12:46 PM

there is a close to open loop fueling delay inherent in the post-bugeye wrxs that makes fitting ANY aftermarket boost control problematic.

projectwrx 01-11-2006 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=ride5000]there is a close to open loop fueling delay inherent in the post-bugeye wrxs that makes fitting ANY aftermarket boost control problematic.[/QUOTE]

what does this mean in english? haha

ride5000 01-12-2006 05:46 AM

in a nutshell:

in the post bugeye style wrxs, fhi changed the ecu mapping. they added a closed to open loop delay that is based on a variety of inputs (ie, rpm, tps, ect, iat, etc). closed loop = stoichiometric air fuel ratio, aka 14.7:1, and open loop = enriched afr, which is necessary for detonation prevention and cylinder cooling while under high load. some folks reported knocking on even bone stock cars because of this temporal delay.

due to the delay, bringing up boost too quickly will exacerbate the problem and make detonation even more likely. so the very essense of what you want to do--make the turbo spool faster--will result in a less safe operating condition for your car.

there is a grass-roots, open source "hack your own ecu" movement going on at the moment, and one of the first projects many post-bugeye users are attacking is this delay. you can read more at openecu.org. if that's too much to handle, check out cobb's access ports which also remove the delay, albeit at a higher price.

hth
ken

Lurk 01-13-2006 10:25 PM

I'm not a big fan of MBC's. I suggest you save up for ECUTEK instead.

projectwrx 01-13-2006 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=ride5000]in a nutshell:

in the post bugeye style wrxs, fhi changed the ecu mapping. they added a closed to open loop delay that is based on a variety of inputs (ie, rpm, tps, ect, iat, etc). closed loop = stoichiometric air fuel ratio, aka 14.7:1, and open loop = enriched afr, which is necessary for detonation prevention and cylinder cooling while under high load. some folks reported knocking on even bone stock cars because of this temporal delay.

due to the delay, bringing up boost too quickly will exacerbate the problem and make detonation even more likely. so the very essense of what you want to do--make the turbo spool faster--will result in a less safe operating condition for your car.

there is a grass-roots, open source "hack your own ecu" movement going on at the moment, and one of the first projects many post-bugeye users are attacking is this delay. you can read more at openecu.org. if that's too much to handle, check out cobb's access ports which also remove the delay, albeit at a higher price.

hth
ken[/QUOTE]

i got different info from gruppe-s. they said it would be safe to run the basics without tuning. i would assume they know what they are talkin about??? good info, though...

lurk, why save for a ecutek? isnt the cobb ap better?

Wingless Wonder 01-13-2006 11:56 PM

[quote][size=1][color=gray][i]Origami posted by [b]projectwrx[/b][/i][/color]
[font=Arial][color=royalblue]i got different info from gruppe-s. they said it would be safe to run the basics without tuning. i would assume they know what they are talkin about???
[/color][/font][/size][/quote]Rather than pit members against tuner, why don't you post the question you asked Gruppe-S and post their response [i][size=2]verbatim[/size][/i] so we can read what was said without paraphrasing?

[size=1][color=skyblue]--
0==[color=blue]WW[/color]==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush[/color][/size]

DEMENTEDWRX 01-14-2006 05:32 AM

[QUOTE=Wingless Wonder]Rather than pit members against tuner, why don't you post the question you asked Gruppe-S and post their response [i][size=2]verbatim[/size][/i] so we can read what was said without paraphrasing?

[size=1][color=skyblue]--
0==[color=blue]WW[/color]==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

i think hes lookin for responses from others who are currently or who have run the basics without tuning, cobb, etc.