i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine Management (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/)
-   -   turbo help?:/ (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/turbo-help-255331/)

cali_sti 11-05-2013 08:35 AM

turbo help?:/

Hey guys so as of yesterday my turbo has not been performing the way it used too.. it went from 16psi to about 6 max now.. could it be a leak? Or a blown turbo? Im really knew at this. Any suggestions would help! Its the vf39 stock on a 2006 sti thanks again

mistaanime 11-05-2013 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=cali_sti;3461851]Hey guys so as of yesterday my turbo has not been performing the way it used too.. it went from 16psi to about 6 max now.. could it be a leak? Or a blown turbo? Im really knew at this. Any suggestions would help! Its the vf39 stock on a 2006 sti thanks again[/QUOTE]

perhaps a cracked turbo housing. notorious on vf39

check your lines.. but its probably a bigger crack than a hairline crack on the houseing if it's loosing that much pressure. Time for an upgrade :)

cali_sti 11-05-2013 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=mistaanime;3461858]perhaps a cracked turbo housing. notorious on vf39

check your lines.. but its probably a bigger crack than a hairline crack on the houseing if it's loosing that much pressure. Time for an upgrade :)[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks for the quick reply! Im a little short on money.. but do you know how much an upgrade would cost? Or if anyone seeing this has one for sale locally?

esousa22 11-05-2013 09:53 AM

if you are short on money, an upgrade probably isn't the best thing but its something most of us do/will do when our turbos go out. As far as upgrading, if you are going to upgrade to a bigger turbo you are more than likely going to need a bigger fuel pump like a walbro 255 or larger and injectors depending on the turbo. Then you are also looking at a tune which runs between 3-$500. After said and done with an upgrade you are looking at a minimum of $1k and thats bare minimum and finding a used turbo and used injectors. Even $1k seems a little low.

cali_sti 11-05-2013 10:39 AM

Okay thanks for giving me a pretty good estimate. Now the other thing is installation? Hopefully someone has a used turbo thats an upgrade from the vf39 that I can buy locally. But what about installation? Are turbos pretty difficult to install? Same goes with the injectors and fuelpump? Sorry like I said im new at this... and will I have to upgrade my stock intercooler?

strider327 11-14-2013 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=cali_sti;3461886]Okay thanks for giving me a pretty good estimate. Now the other thing is installation? Hopefully someone has a used turbo thats an upgrade from the vf39 that I can buy locally. But what about installation? Are turbos pretty difficult to install? Same goes with the injectors and fuelpump? Sorry like I said im new at this... and will I have to upgrade my stock intercooler?[/QUOTE]

Best thing to do is look up youtube videos and go from there in terms of installation.

eTron 01-09-2014 09:42 PM

If ur turbo s h I tted very common symptoms blue smoke outta da tail pipe intermittently then clears off especially cold starts clogged filter in the main inlet oil line banjo bolt needs to be replaced same time even on a rack it takes about 4hrs book time is 4.5hrs good luck man