i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine Management (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/)
-   -   Tuning for 2.5RS (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/tuning-2-5rs-9282/)

submaniac 02-13-2003 07:55 PM

Tuning for 2.5RS

Hi,

If I'm looking for some form of engine management and tuning based on 3 different budget tiers, what would you guys recommend?

1. Low Budget
2. Mid Budget
3. No Budget

Having gone through some of the threads, it seems like a SAFC would suffice. Anybody here done much with stuff like UniChip, eManage? Or how about higher-end stuff like Autronic? Care to share the greater details?

Thanks!

teiva-boy 02-13-2003 08:03 PM

Dont forget LINK and TEC systems.

i-speed can help you with the LINK and Vishnu Performance can help you with the TEC. Those are both in the $1400+ range. The TEC though is upwards of $2k

christoph1371 02-13-2003 08:09 PM

Please elaborate on your mods and we can help.
chris
I-Speed USA

submaniac 02-13-2003 08:15 PM

The 2.5RS is about as stock as it can get, with the following:
1. CAI
2. Fuel Pressure Regulator
3. Cat-less exhaust
4. Stock muffler

I'm looking at adjusting the A/F ratio for now, and allow room for further tuning if I do eventually fix up the headers/cams/blocks/etc.

christoph1371 02-13-2003 08:22 PM

The afc would work for now. But try and think long term for you car. ASK yourself, "where do you want the car to be when you are done with the mods?"
Be serious about this too.
An n/a can make some serious clean power:)
chris

submaniac 02-13-2003 08:31 PM

Thanks for the quick reply buddy!

Yeah, I'm definitely planning to keep it NA, at least till i can't get anymore out from her. And would like to know what should I put in now if i'm looking at having more room for future enhancements. What would you recommend?

I've seen that the common 'Stage1' upgrades would be headers and exhaust system. Somehow, I can't seem to find the model of header from borla.com. Many have said that the uneven length headers will only have audio enhancements, but not much performance increase. How relative is this statement?

Many people also go into Cobb cams. But I don't see many people discussing about valve springs, forged pistons, etc to match the cams. If all these are factored it, it's gonna cost 1 big bomb! :X

i-speed 02-13-2003 09:03 PM

Hopefully this info will help:

To answer your original question on budget.
Low budget: Apex-i AFC
Mid Budget: Link Plus
High Budget: Tec, Motec, Pectel, etc...

As for setup to get more horsepower, here are my recommendations for stages, though a lot depends if you want to stay NA or go Turbo...

Stage NA: MRT headers and dual exhuast, these are great from everyone one I have seen and heard. The borla's will help but nearly as much. Cobb street cams are quite nice to go along with this setup. A high flow intaek system, thst has a little ram air is also nice. On top of that get an AFC and ITC to tune to tune it for about 5-10 more horsepower and you should be sitting pretty at about 170 at the wheels on a dynojet. How much over stock, not sure but I would guess to say about 50Hp or so. that is about as much as you will get unless you get an aftermarket ECU, then you could get maybe 10-15 more hp. If you pushed it I bet you could reach about 190 at the wheels NA, but that is about the limit.

Stage Turbo, stock engine: Turbo kit with Link Plus engine management, injectors, exhaust. This will cost more but will get you about 180 at the wheels with 5 PSI, 200 with 7PSI and 250 with 13PSI. Though the problem above 9 PSI is the flow. The heads don't flow well as don't the headers. Both of those need to be modded for even mroe power. Though you will also need to redo the head gaskets as they will start leaking above 10 PSI. So if you were to fix the head gaskets, get new headers, and better cams for a turbo, you could easily start making a lot more power. With 10 PSI and everything listed above I bet 250 a the wheels is not far out fo reach.

Though there is always the swap... :)

Hope that helps...

christoph1371 02-13-2003 09:10 PM

ask and you shall receive... thanks bill;)

submaniac 02-14-2003 12:11 AM

Hi Skywalker,

U mentioned something about 50BHP gains...that comes from just the header/dual exhaust and tuning with SAFC/ITC?

And the swap u talking about, u referring to swapping to a REX/STI?

Thanks for all your inputs, you guys have been most helpful!
When I'm done with the basic enhancements (e.g. headers/exhaust/afc/etc), I hope to get more help from you guys on the next stage.

Cheers!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by skywalker [/i]
[B]Hopefully this info will help:

Stage NA: MRT headers and dual exhuast, these are great from everyone one I have seen and heard. The borla's will help but nearly as much. Cobb street cams are quite nice to go along with this setup. A high flow intaek system, thst has a little ram air is also nice. On top of that get an AFC and ITC to tune to tune it for about 5-10 more horsepower and you should be sitting pretty at about 170 at the wheels on a dynojet. How much over stock, not sure but I would guess to say about 50Hp or so. that is about as much as you will get unless you get an aftermarket ECU, then you could get maybe 10-15 more hp. If you pushed it I bet you could reach about 190 at the wheels NA, but that is about the limit.

Though there is always the swap... :)

Hope that helps... [/B][/QUOTE]

i-speed 02-14-2003 09:25 AM

50Hp with headers, cams, afc, itc, and high flow intake. You can get around 50 horsepower. Without the afc and itc it is probably goign to be around 35 or so.

As for the swap, a WRX dropped into an RS. OR an STi if you can get the engine. Either way works well. :)