i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine Management (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/)
-   -   Newbie needs advice (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/newbie-needs-advice-247558/)

curtisjae21 01-01-2013 04:06 PM

Newbie needs advice

I have a 2005 subaru wrx with these mods:

Full exhaust. Downpipe. Perrin header. K&N short ram intake. Sti intercooler.

I just got a new/used (30000~miles) put into it because I blew the last engine up.

I'd really rather not do that again.

I'm about to get it tuned, but also I'm looking to put in a three gauge mount where the clock is, holding an oil pressure, air/fuel ratio, and boost gauge.

The only problem I have right now is that when on the highway at about 4000-5000 rpm and hittin above 80mph if I open the throttle too much it seems the engine nearly stops slows its self down and continues. Any advice?

On top of all that I'm looking at getting a Cobb tuner for it but is it worth it? Can anyone point me in a better direction?

All help would be so very appreciated,
- Curtisjae

curtisjae21 01-01-2013 04:06 PM

Roughly 30000 miles on the new/used engine

xhengmanx 01-01-2013 04:08 PM

your probably over boosting and thats when the car will probably fall flat on its face. get the cobb apv2, flash it to at least the stage 2 map, then go get a pro-tune for all the mods you have on it.

curtisjae21 01-01-2013 04:15 PM

What does it mean to flash it and do I just hook this Cobb apv2 to the obd2 port?

Volkey 01-01-2013 04:42 PM

You need some sort or engine management (accessport or an open source tune) with these kinds of mods. Im sure your car is getting a way jacked up air/fuel ratio, over/underboosting, and possibly even off a few degrees of timing.

I highly sugest you do one of the above reccomendations ASAP, and stop trying to dump the throttle in 5th gear going 80 on the freeway untill then.

Ryan.

Shayhan27 01-01-2013 06:36 PM

Yeah its your intake and mods you are hitting boost cut. You need a tune, in the mean time I recommend at least putting your stock intercooler back on.

curtisjae21 01-01-2013 08:27 PM

Which of course I don't have. FML

Trakjunky 01-01-2013 08:32 PM

Yep you need a tune ASAP. Otherwise your going to grenade your new motor shortly.

And what they said, stop trying to get on it until you do so. Your ecu is trying to compensate for things it can not compensate for unless its tuned to do so.

I know the Internet is full of wisdom on subarus, the first thing before modding should be research. These aren't Hondas where you can just throw an intake and exhaust and run it. Turbocharged vehicles are finicky *****es when it comes to adding power.

curtisjae21 01-02-2013 12:49 AM

Well thank you for all the info I'm researching places in charleston to get a tune a good tune

w0ng3r 01-02-2013 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=curtisjae21;3336796]Well thank you for all the info I'm researching places in charleston to get a tune a good tune[/QUOTE]

If you don't find anything good in your area, I'd recommend giving a look at torqued performance. They do e-tunes and the prices are pretty fair. you can even go open source instead of getting an accessport and save some cash (used accessports can go for about $400, give or take)

curtisjae21 01-02-2013 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I heard used access ports have to be unmarried but also what is open source? I'm looking at this place now the show zone and it has an awd dyno

curtisjae21 01-02-2013 01:45 AM

But it's 175 an hour and that's just ridiculous

w0ng3r 01-02-2013 01:55 AM

Most 2nd hand AP's will be unmarried (unless the seller stole it or the vehicle was so badly totalled they couldn't unmarry the AP).

opensource tuning utilizes a tactric cable and a laptop to make changes to the ECU, making the AP redundant.

Can't comment much about the price, it varies from area to area and can cost more depending on what mods you have. Just make sure it's a shop that knows what it's doing (see if you can find a local subbie club)

Trakjunky 01-02-2013 09:02 AM

If you don't know what open source is, than get an Accessport and flash a Cobb stage 2 map to your car. It will come with instructions. Please do this before we see a "my car blew up cause I was untuned" thread.

curtisjae21 01-02-2013 09:40 AM

Haha very funny it already did that. This is it's second engine.