i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Engine Management (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/)
-   -   Chip or ECU upgrade suggestion for 03 WRX? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-management-66/chip-ecu-upgrade-suggestion-03-wrx-30956/)

StiRfriedIMPREZ 09-09-2003 12:50 AM

Chip or ECU upgrade suggestion for 03 WRX?

Whats up folks, just wanna know what are the best chips or comp upgrades are the best for my 03 WRX. Anything will help! Im kinda looking for something I can unplug when it comes time for service, Thanks!:D

teiva-boy 09-09-2003 04:42 PM

Just get a reflash. 90% of the dealers cannot detect this.

StiRfriedIMPREZ 09-10-2003 09:26 AM

Can I install a reflash my self or do I have to get it done somewhere. Im just not sure I can tear out my ECU and start jacking with it. Also where can I get it? Cobb?

gallstone 09-10-2003 01:44 PM

Cobb

Removing the ECU is a piece of cake-takes 10 minutes, max.. I just got the Cobb stage 1 and the car is completely different-no turbo lag, more driveable. I highly recommend this as your first upgrade. Also add a K and N filter and a turbo gauge, all easily installed.
Instructions on removing the ECU are in the Cobb website.

StiRfriedIMPREZ 09-11-2003 01:42 PM

Can I order the reflash online from cobb? And should I drop in a k&n in the stock air box or order short ram or cold air?

gallstone 09-11-2003 02:35 PM

Until the AccessECU is available, you will need to send them the ECU. I sent mine and had it back a day later.
According to Cobb, a cold air intake does not add more hp and they said that since each brand is different, they may not have the correct maps. They recommend the standard K and N filter only. Also, if in the future, you need a reflash such as level 2 buty adding a Turboback muffler, they only charge 20 dollars.

I recommend you give Cobb a call-very helpful and I am sure you will be very pleased with your new ECU remap.

Slaytera666 09-17-2003 08:57 AM

Get a UTEC. Total adjustability (piggy backs fuel). You put on a different part, you just adjust your map. No sending yor ecu back to get reflashed for one mod. All cars are different. unless you do specific tuning for your car, you will not get the most out of it. A reflash is a basic tune for a certain setup. You will run more rich to because they have to compensate for the reflash running lean on some cars. The UTEC is bad-ass. The potential it has is amazing. It is the FIRST mod you should do.

Kevin M 09-17-2003 02:19 PM

If you get a UTEC, take it to someone who can custom dyno tune it for you. There have been a lot of people losing cylinder #4 on Turbo XS' supplied maps.

SUBARU_TECH 09-19-2003 11:27 AM

seeing that the ecu has been reflashed is very easy,whoever is telling you that it isnt is misleading you.but then they already have your money.

Silver arrow 09-19-2003 11:53 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SUBARU_TECH [/i]
[B]seeing that the ecu has been reflashed is very easy,whoever is telling you that it isnt is misleading you.but then they already have your money. [/B][/QUOTE]

Does it matter anyway? Would you really void a warranty over an ECU reflash and rest of car stock. You would have a hard time selling that in small claims. But you know most people are to lazy to actually follow through so you just screw them. I forgot.:monkey:

Silver arrow 09-19-2003 12:01 PM

Oh , I forgot to mention it. When I sold my wifes A4 and bought an Outback for her. I didn't buy from the local dealer I bought my WRX through. I went to a mod friendly dealer. I haven't had a single problem with my WRX and I'm also 34yo and much better driver than most of the guys breaking trannies weekly, however the day I bought my car and they went to show me where the parts/service department was the service manager, out of nowhere says "If you mod it I will void the entire warranty and refuse to work on the car even if you pay." I will never buy even a spark plug or oil filter from that dealership ever again. So keep being an A hole. eventually these young guys grow up and buy more cars and cars for the family and all you idiots out there will have ruined the one thing Subaru has always had "Brand loyalty".

Silver arrow 09-19-2003 12:02 PM

And when I buy my STi next year, it won't be from YOU.

Silver arrow 09-19-2003 12:03 PM

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

SUBARU_TECH 09-20-2003 07:29 AM

obviously you have no clue what your talking about, or what the reflash to the ecu will do. then to have piggybacked systems that people like you can program yourself . besides i cant see how your one sided comments have helped the orignal topic starter at all. :p

Silver arrow 09-21-2003 03:57 PM

You're right, I've been working on cars and my dads race cars since age 12. I have no idea what I'm talking about.