i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/)
-   -   sti ra gearsets (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/sti-ra-gearsets-158621/)

spoolnrex 03-11-2007 11:51 PM

sti ra gearsets

Anyone had any problem with these gears want to know before spending the money on them thanx. ps. stock gears suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ipozestu 03-12-2007 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=spoolnrex]Anyone had any problem with these gears want to know before spending the money on them thanx. ps. stock gears suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]
I just picked up a new tranny with the RA gears installed. I like it quite a bit. The only problem I have is 5th gear is a gas hog now. The best deal you are going to find on the is through IAperformance. As completely rebuilt tranny that will just pop right in. Even if you were to puchase the gear set and have it installed, you still couldn't find it cheaper than IA performance. I'll save you the leg work.

Wingless Wonder 03-12-2007 10:26 AM

I've seen one option offered by some vendors to use a special RA gearset that retains the same fifth gear ratio as the regular 5MT. This would mean the same engine rpm as stock during highway cruising. Whether this is a genuine RA gearset or just a special hybrid deal, I don't know. In any case, having the additional step of cryo treatment for any RA gearset is desirable to make them even tougher.

If buying a rebuilt tranny with the RA gearset professionally installed is cheaper than having my own tranny rebuilt, I'd go that route. I guess they'd want a rebuildable core in return, in most cases. I'd always want to have them replace the normal wear items like synchros just like a conventional rebuild.

I don't think I've ever heard of a 5MT failure after the installation of the RA gearset. It seems to be a good option between cost and a 6MT swap.

cbf246 03-12-2007 02:22 PM

^^^ ive heard of RA gears still sheering, but only in high horsepower vehicles. the input shaft can still twist/lift/whatever. those gears should be good if you dont make too much power. and cryotreating is a very good idea for added protection.

spoolnrex 03-13-2007 11:49 AM

what about 280 hp and 260 torqe? should it be ok

zavier 03-13-2007 11:54 AM

yes those RA gears are fine...i think the problem appears at like the 500whp range lol (maybe a tad lower but anything less then 300whp should be fine)

VRT MBasile 03-13-2007 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=ipozestu]I just picked up a new tranny with the RA gears installed. I like it quite a bit. The only problem I have is 5th gear is a gas hog now. The best deal you are going to find on the is through IAperformance. As completely rebuilt tranny that will just pop right in. Even if you were to puchase the gear set and have it installed, you still couldn't find it cheaper than IA performance. I'll save you the leg work.[/QUOTE]

where are the fully built tranny's on their site? All I see is plan gearsets

they are in Arizona though, so $16 shipping and no sales tax FTW :banana: (although I think even with tax gruppe-s is cheaper)

ipozestu 03-14-2007 08:00 AM

Matt, call up Steven at IA.
[url]https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153668&highlight=RA+GEARSET[/url]

VRT MBasile 03-14-2007 08:01 AM

eh, I think it'd still be cheaper for me to get a gruppe-s set. The tranny is already out anyways

ipozestu 03-14-2007 08:02 AM

[QUOTE=ipozestu]Matt, call up Steven at IA.
[url]https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153668&highlight=RA+GEARSET[/url][/QUOTE]
After all was said and done, to have it done locally was almost $600 more, if I remember right. IA was great to work with. Very professional, everythig was sent on time, quickly, safely. They are good people. Plus no CA sales tax.

ipozestu 03-14-2007 08:04 AM

With bearings, syncros, gears, the whole nine? Really?

WrxNeffects 04-16-2007 09:34 AM

i need a gear set also .......surprising huh......i want to make a mid 12 second rex ...im mid 13's now with 240 whp...think those sti r/a's are good for me?....i kind of want some straight cut cuzz they sound koooool~! maybe the straght 1/2 heli 3/4/(5 stock)

ipozestu 04-16-2007 10:29 AM

THe ra gearset will reduce your top speed, but in turn you will get to your top speed much more quickly.

VRT MBasile 04-16-2007 12:02 PM

interesting, I just realized you can get the RA gearsets from IA with a 4.4 final drive. Aren't the 4EAT's a 4.4 final drive? Meaning I could get the 4.4 final drive set and not have to change out my diff or anything

EDIT: if anyone in this thread replaced their blown tranny and still has the blown one, PM me :)

Wrxzero557 04-22-2007 02:39 PM

iv had the ra gear set for 45k and need a rebuild everything is alright except it grinds when i shift fast. i think i need another rebuild bearings and syncros. it getsto 140mph pretty quick