i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/)
-   -   New Clutch Question (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/new-clutch-question-42737/)

six1five 12-26-2003 03:07 PM

New Clutch Question

i'm considering getting a new clutch kit for my MY00 2.5RS...and i was wondering if it's neccessary to get a new flywheel as well. do/should i get a new flywheel?

i was considering the following options
(1) Newer OEM clutch/flywheel set
(2) Exedy Street Clutch Kit (possibly with a new flywheel)
(3) ACT Street Clutch Kit (possibly with a new flywheel)

let me know what you think. thanks for the input.

ish 12-26-2003 03:46 PM

i have the exedy street clutch and i really like it a lot.

as for the flywheel, i also have the exedy lightened flywheel. i would suggest replacing that as well since you will already have the transmission disconected for installing the clutch, might as well do the flywheel as well, that way you don't have to re install anything later

six1five 12-26-2003 04:24 PM

how stiff is the exedy as opposed to the stock clutch?

i'm kinda new to driving a manual tranny, and i don't intend on replacing the clutch for a few months (going to japan and might bring back the parts i need).

also, my car is mostly city driven. it rarely gets to see highway unless there's some big shindig somewhere far. so would the exedy be good for a city car?

oh yeah, also, did the lightened flywheel cause any problems with your ecu like causing a CEL? i've heard of people having CEL problems with lightened flywheels.

ish 12-26-2003 04:44 PM

the exedy is about 25% stiffer than stock, so it isn't much harder than the stock clutch imo, i don't know about the cel with the flywheel stuff, my cel is always on and i can't get it off so i wouldn't know if another code was thrown since i never bother to check it anymore.

S-Squared 12-26-2003 08:21 PM

I recommend the Exedy unit, in my opinion it feels better and isnt as much as a on/off switch as the ACT unit.
As for the flywheel, makes a great difference for around town type driving. I havent had a CEL on any of the cars I have installed them on, the key is not going TOO light. The fidanza model is a bit much IMHO , the exedy is 14.6 lbs and the Fidanza is around 12 ( dont quote me , those arent exact ).

As for clamping force, the Exedy unit should be 37% stiffer depending on what model you are going with.

-Nate
S-Squared

six1five 12-30-2003 02:44 PM

is there anybody out there who kept their stock flywheel and just upgraded the clutch? specifically the exedy street clutch kit?

i mean, my car isn't a race car, and i don't really want/need it to be. i just want the car a little more responsive, and also to get rid of that damn decel noise. so i'm looking for the best thing to do to increase the performance a little, but not too far from stock.