i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/)
-   -   how much can a stock wrx tranny handle (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/how-much-can-stock-wrx-tranny-handle-42783/)

gogoman 12-26-2003 10:18 PM

how much can a stock wrx tranny handle

i was thinking of getting a stage 3 340 hp or even a stage 4 375 hp kit for my wrx. i was wondering how much can a stock tranny take. i've heard they can take up to 400 hp, but i also heard that they suck (case flexing and crap). i'm sure i prob have to change the cluct, but i also heard that it can handle some ponies too. any sugestions.

Maniac 12-26-2003 11:07 PM

It all depends...

If you do 6000 RPM clutch dump launches at every stop light, like some people do, you'll need a new tranny/clutch very soon!:eek:

If you drive conservatively and dont drag, it should be ok for a long tome. Stiffer motor/tranny mounts may be helpful to keep the drivetrain secure, also a good quality synthetic fluid helps.:D

On the other hand I hope you are getting a built motor for your stage 3 340 hp or even a stage 4 375 hp kit (who's kit is that anyway, Vishnu?). Stock motor can safely handle up to about 280hp. Any higher than that and you will blow your stock motor! To handle 340 or 375 hp you would really need to get an STI swap or a seriously built WRX motor (I mean heads, block, forged pistons, rods, etc, etc, etc)

Mach5WRX 12-27-2003 08:03 AM

Why would you do a monster engine build up and not do anything to the trany?

ish 12-27-2003 08:54 AM

the stock wrx tranny can hold various amounts, a lot of it depends on how you drive it. people have had it go out while still stock, others with quite a few power mods have made it last a long time.

go for the 6 spd, you won't break that

simpwrx02 12-29-2003 12:00 PM

wierd i know quite a few people who have stock internals that are running close to if not more than 400 hp at the crank with no problems. the stage upgrades he is mentioning are all for crank hp. the biggest problem with even the stage 4 would be the tranny, unless you try to run like 25 pounds of boost on stock internals. i have heard of the stock tranny giving way at stock horse power so anything you do is at your own risk, the guys i know are still using stock trannies, they just granny shift all the time.

gogoman 12-29-2003 04:27 PM

thanx for the info. i may not do such powerfull up grades. well at least not yet. i may just go with a stage 2 for now. sooner or later, i will do it all out right. internal out and even the tranny. i was just curious on what the tranny can take and so far i've heard more to the not much more or around 300. again, thanks guys

:banana: :D

gogoman 12-29-2003 04:30 PM

oh, by the way, simpwrx02,where in chesapeake you live at. u live some where near me. i live in chesapeake too. i live right on bainbridge. :D

Kevin M 12-29-2003 05:50 PM

The stock 5 speed can take a lot more power than it can abuse, that's about all there is to it.