i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/)
-   -   5pd FAQ (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/5pd-faq-62054/)

El Guapo 06-07-2004 11:17 AM

5pd FAQ

My goal is to almost double the stock HP (02 wrx) for street purposes. Furthermore, it is my desires not have my transmission break after reaching my desired power. Moreover, I don’t want to have any TM problems for at least another 2 years. I drive very modestly; in fact I rarely drive fast and I always granny shift the 1-2. I want the power because occasionally I’ll take it to the track (once every full moon) and its fun once in a while. Nonetheless, it is my daily driver. I do know that even with dog gears, the flex issue still exists and the TM is still susceptible to breaking.

So, this is my question. Given my driving habits, can I reach @ 400 HP on my stock TM without it breaking? If so, what parts do you recommend beefing up the TM in any way. The 6pd TM is just too expensive when all said and done. (Axles, differentials (electronic rear diff), drive shaft, ect…)

Should I just get an STI???

DaWorstPlaya 06-07-2004 11:49 AM

I don't think the stock EJ20 engine with stock internals can safetly reach 400HP. The most you can probably get out is 240 to 250HP at the engine with stock internals. You could try the STi RA gearset, as an upgrade for your transmission, they are being advertised to hold 275 to 300 WHP. The case flex issue seems to be put to rest with the fact that there are plenty of WRXs with the upgraded RA geatset that don't have any issues. You might just want to buy the STi but that isn't cheap either and a Vishnu stage 1 STi only makes 280WHP (assuming a 25% drivetrain loss thats less than 400HP at the engine) ..... I've had the same dilemma as you. That's why I'm buying an EVO MR as my next car (puts flame suit on)

El Guapo 06-07-2004 02:54 PM

Thank you for your input. I do have internals and all that fun stuff; so I'm not worried about my engine not being able to support the power. I'm just scared that the TM is just...not good, for lack of a better term. Furthermore, "just say no to Evo." haha oh also, people say aftermarket gears i.e. gimmie gears or “doggears” are way too inconvenient for street. They are loud or something and simply not worth it.

Big_DeWeY 06-07-2004 03:07 PM

look into the sti RA gearset on gruppe-s. there is also a KAAZ set there too and there both WAY cheaper than getting a 6speed.

DaWorstPlaya 06-08-2004 08:03 AM

Then my friend you might want to look into the KAAZ close ratio gearset. Mind you these are by no means cheap, they cost more than twice as much as the STi RA gearset, but they are rated to hold up to 300+WHP easy. I would assume they are easily capable of holding 400WHP or so I have heard. Doggears are not worth it for daily driving, not only are they loud but you have to constantly rebuild them every 10K miles (ouch) and on top of that they are not cheap. I think it has to do with the fact that they have no synchros....

El Guapo 06-08-2004 08:17 AM

cool, muchos gracias.

SHADO 06-09-2004 12:22 AM

Yes a dog-box is a pain in the a** to drive on the street, gears must be changed very quick in order to get a smooth shift and to not damage the gearbox, believe it or not doing slow shifts actually damages the box, and they are also rather noisy.

El Guapo 06-09-2004 12:04 PM

Wow, that is crappie news. Traffic on the freeway would be soooo fun though. (Extreme sarcasm) I’m sure gimmie gears works the same?? Seriously I only want like 300 whp without my tranny falling out. Is that too much to ask!

DaWorstPlaya 06-10-2004 01:39 PM

Yes it is too much to ask .... :D (kidding)

El Guapo 06-14-2004 11:09 AM

"With increasing demand for high HP packages the need for a strong transmission has never been greater. TurboXS has teamed up with PPG to design a gear set for high HP WRXs utilizing optimized gear ratios to get the most from your engine! While primarily utilizing racing transmission technology we made sure this upgrade is smooth shifting and quiet, allowing you to drive it during the week and race it on the weekends."

Love Turbo XS

umm... is this true? Are they really quite and easy to drive?

dangerousatom 05-26-2005 09:17 AM

Any word on this trans's reality now??

[QUOTE=El Guapo]"With increasing demand for high HP packages the need for a strong transmission has never been greater. TurboXS has teamed up with PPG to design a gear set for high HP WRXs utilizing optimized gear ratios to get the most from your engine! While primarily utilizing racing transmission technology we made sure this upgrade is smooth shifting and quiet, allowing you to drive it during the week and race it on the weekends."

Love Turbo XS

umm... is this true? Are they really quite and easy to drive?[/QUOTE]

Im looking into, In all reality Im goin to have to replace my stock 02 RS MT when I complet my 04 STi motor swap - FMIC and larger turbo...ect much more HP than stock STi. I Dont want a 6-MT w/or w/out DCCD too much $ invested already.

What I would like is a 5-MT with LSD in frount and rear and a standard 35/65 LSD in the mid. Im unsrue on gearing yet...either 1-2 or 1-2-3 dog w/RA 4-5 ( BIG $$ ) a RA beefed up somehow or a totally new Syncroed gear set ( IE....like in the quote )

I have many months befor I swap this winter and am doin exstencive research on trans stuff. Is what I want a problem?...Is there a better option. Any help hints or opinions would be great!! I live in Allentowm PA so I am near some great shops Rallispec-NJ Gearboxtech-MD

jdepould 05-26-2005 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=DaWorstPlaya]I don't think the stock EJ20 engine with stock internals can safetly reach 400HP. The most you can probably get out is 240 to 250HP at the engine with stock internals. [/QUOTE]

where are you coming up with this?

Kay95 05-27-2005 08:26 PM

dogs and straight cut gears are two very different things

dogs are what replace the syncros and what makes the shifting difficult and also the wear as well

straight cut gears are just that straight cut not helical but what that means is that in will be loud like a supercharger whined but coming from your trany

the kaaz set is straight cut 1-3 but syncroed in all gears very streetable in my mind but thats me