i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drag-racing-48/)
-   -   Take-off's (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drag-racing-48/take-offs-17117/)

wa11opy 04-28-2003 10:18 PM

Take-off's

I was wondering, what is the best way to launch a wrx without dammaging it's tranny and not abusing it's clutch too much and then what is the best way even if it means damaging the tranny and abusing the clutch. Track time is coming up and i wanna do the best i can.

natedizzel 05-12-2003 04:50 PM

rev it to the limiter and drop the hammer. It will ruin your tranny quickly but you will be fast. Otherwise give it a high rev and slip in the clutch.

Silver WRX420 05-13-2003 10:23 PM

i tried redlining it and dropping the clutch...my car kinda hopped up and then went flying forwards...dont know why but dont wanna try it again

STi VII 05-15-2003 01:04 PM

I find 4000 - 4500 RPM works best. It's damn hard to get right. You slip the clutch too much and it overheats the clutch and starts to slip. You dump it and you break your box. You have to get used to letting go of the clutch quickly but gradually. Practice makes perfect, just be VERY CAREFUL.

You just have to keep on doing it untill you have got it right. But dont to it to many times in a row, your clutch will not like it one bit.

About 4500revs or a little bit more, i found was best. The key is to keep balance between your feet. As your left foot comes out off the clutch, you need to push the right foot in and apply more throttle in the same action. This is to ensure that the revs stay high and dont bog. If the revs start to drop apply more throttle or slow ther release. If its revving to hard, then release the clutch faster. You need to have both feet work in synch and balance the revs with not just the throttle but the clutch.

DwithBoost 05-29-2003 10:05 AM

Just messin around I rev'd to about 4K, kept it reving between 4K to 5K to keep the turbo spooled and let out on the clutch gradually. The clutch took a beating but the car launched like I never knew it was capable of.

Silver arrow 05-29-2003 07:32 PM

I have found that since my uppipe and DP my car is easier to launch. with more torque down low I can let the clutch out alittle quicker and still stay in the boost. Also the stock tires are best for stock or mildly modded WRX. Allows small amount of wheel slip to help keep from bogging rpms and boost.

Uncle_Dan 05-29-2003 10:55 PM

Launching the WRX

I would like to share the launching technique I use which helps me achieve 60ft times in the 1.8XX second range at the drag strip. Results will vary from person to person, from car to car and from a combination of both. Please keep in mind not to excessively or repetitively abuse any part of your car, especially your transmission. "Dumping" or "Popping" the clutch is never a good idea. Many aspects and components of your car are put under enormous amounts of stress when racing, so take it easy.

My technique is based on a fairly simple concept. Think of yourself trying to drive up a hill or steep incline from a dead stop. The technique I use is similar to how you would feather the clutch while playing with the throttle. The biggest difference is doing so as quickly as you can.

__1. ) Fully depress the clutch in and put the transmission into 1st gear;
__2. ) Rev up the engine between 4500~5000 RPMs and keep it there;
__3. ) Start letting the clutch out until you start feeling it engage and hold the clutch there briefly. (It will take some practice to determine the optimal speed of which you should let out the clutch.);
__4. ) As soon as you feel the clutch engage, you should notice a drop in RPM. You don't want your engine to drop below 4000 RPM; otherwise, you'll be launching with "Less-Than-Optimal" amounts of torque;
__5. ) With the clutch now partially engaged and the engine is at or above 4000 RPM, you'll now need to add more throttle while engaging more of the clutch at the same time. (Once again, it will take some practice to determine the optimal speed of which you should let out the clutch as well as how much and how fast you should press down the gas pedal.);
__6. ) You should be at full throttle and the clutch fully engaged by the time you reach the 5000~5500 RPM range.

1/4 Mile: 13.83s @ 96.85MPH (as of January 2003)

[url]http://members.cardomain.com/uncle_dan[/url]

Dan

fastrotaries 06-18-2003 09:33 PM

The first few times i tried it that way i smoked the clutch and or really bogged it. My wife actually picked it up quicker than i did, and i'm the racer.