Conversions, Transplants, & Swaps Anything from the EJ20 into an RS to port-a-potties into an STi. Anything about engine and tranny swapping.

subie engine/trans for my porsche 914

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 06 sti
Question subie engine/trans for my porsche 914

Here is my question to anyone with concrete knowlege about mounting locations
of motor mounts and bellhousing bolt patterns between earlier ej motors and current ones (specifficaly wrx & sti). Here is what i want to do.

I want to buy a cheap running motor & trans from pick & pull to install into my
1970 porsche 914. I know that nothing will line up and that I will have to have
custom axles made. These type of problems I am aware of.
I want to Fabricate all the parts needed to get this setup to where it runs and
drives. Once I have this done I want to buy a STI engine & trans & drop it into
the 914. I don't want to go through all the hassle of installing a ej22 out of a
93 legacy just to find out that I have to modify more structural parts to make
the STI eng/trans fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 09:18 AM

Car Info: 2001 rs
blasphemy!

lol jk

get in contact with this guy

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/arch.../t-378628.html
Old 06-18-2006, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRB Wagon Ltd.
Here you go
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914/914subiprices.html
Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRB Wagon Ltd.
I also have a great video of a 914 with a STI motor doing donuts if you want it!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the Renegade info. I have seen their site before, BUT I want to use the Subie transmission with the engine (no need for adapter plates). The main reasons I want to use the Subie trans are that the trans is already geared for the motor AND the Porsche trans is absolute CRAP it is very notchy and finicky. I know you can chance bushings and couplers or to rebuild them but at what cost$$$$$$ My main question revolves around the similarity between the mounting points of earlier Subie motorsand trans and say a 2006 STI motor and trans. I want to dial in the chassis with cheap setup then swap it out for STI setup.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:07 AM

Unhappy Helppppp

Does ANYONE know if the bolt location on the engine and the trans are in the same location on a 93 Legacy and a 2006 STI? Trying to do a cheap engine swap in my 914 and then replace the powerplant with a real powerplant(STI) BUT I don't want to cut my newly fabricated supports to replace the ej 22 with the ej 25 STI engine and trans.

Last edited by remflyz; 06-20-2006 at 07:13 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-20-2006, 07:43 PM

Car Info: AP1 S2k
post vid
Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 AM

My car is still stock and in poor stock form. I am just trying to ho as much homework on my project before I start hacking. I notice you are also in Sac. and your user name is 916 do you have a 914/6? I would like to see it if o/k. I want to get as many ideas as possible before putting my baby under the knife. Sorry no vids yet no real reason for them yet.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:21 AM

Car Info: 1972 porsche 914
Talking

here is a recomendation from a guy who is doing it. make sure you have the wiring diagrams for the motor prior to purchasing it. I have a twin turbo motor and transmission but no wiring diagram!!

also I am using the stock subi trans. I didnt want to spend the money on an adapter just to blow-up the stock 901 box. the wrx sti motor will fit. so I do not understand why you are going through the trouble of installing an eariler motor.

anyway good luck
Old 07-02-2006, 08:35 AM

Finally someone with some real answers. What year is your 914 and what year is your STI engine??? Is the twin turbo a factory engine or did someone make custom exhaust to accomodate twin turbo setup? I was thinking of doing a twin turbo myself but I was going to do a custom exhaust setup. If these twin turbo motors are available I would like to know the source to make it easier on me. What is the expected HP output of the twin turbo???? I'm glad to see someone else using their noggin' and doing away with the 901 trans. Why would you get adapter plates for that crappy trans which is only good for 300HP (if you use it like a grannny) instead of using the 6Spd. STI trans that is perfectly geared for the Subie motor. The original reason I wanted to use the "earlier" motor is because I had acess to a complete car with a low milage emgine/trans. I was thinking to pop them in and work out the fitment bugs and play around with the cassis for a while then I would install the real setup. I think I would be better off saving my pennies and get the real setup from the start. Good luck. Keep me updated. I would really like to know some details about your project.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 1973 Porsche 914 - EJ25
Take a look here

I started this project a while ago. Full Suby swap for the 914. I have developed the 'magic flange' that adapts the Subaru CV outputs to Porsche/VW bus CVs. I also am working on a cable shifter and engine mounts.

http://z8.invisionfree.com/ClubNARP/...showtopic=1043

The last one is a long read.
Steve