i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Car Lounge (https://www.i-club.com/forums/car-lounge-44/)
-   -   Hand Position (https://www.i-club.com/forums/car-lounge-44/hand-position-42281/)

H20Pro 12-21-2003 06:43 PM

Hand Position

I know it's not the most interresting of topics. But has everyone ever heard, from a reliable source, the best way to handle the wheel. I know the whole 9 and 3 deal, but what about during a >90 degree turn, when hand movement is necessary?

Christian 12-21-2003 08:57 PM

one on a beer the other on my ladies leg. wink.. and steering is handled by my legs... Yee Hawww~!!

<:)))><

Keisatsu 12-22-2003 12:15 AM

^^ lol

whitelegacy98 12-22-2003 02:02 AM

what I was taught (including at skid control school) is a 9/3 hand position and as for movement shuffle steer is the way to go.

Magish 12-22-2003 02:38 PM

9 and 3 is the way to go: both for safety (airbag) and control of the car

PyroManiac 12-22-2003 02:55 PM

you could always just use one hand...

The Mirror 12-22-2003 04:33 PM

I can see 9 and 3 for high speed stuff, trackwork, especially with a quick racked car. WRXing on a mountain road often requires 10 and 2, with big crossovers (right hand to 10 oclock for sharp rights, left hand to 2oclock for sharp lefts).

Very true about the airbag issue. Never thought of that.

I like the shuffle method alot. Its often of limited use on these slow steering Subarus unfortunately. Awesome on Alfa's, Hondas and the like, with quick rack and pinions. The Italian cars with the bus like steering wheel position are perfect for the shuffle method. Any sprint car driver would feel right at home.

AzN121184 12-22-2003 08:44 PM

usually for me when i am shifting and such, i have the hand at about 7-8 o'clock area

ish 12-24-2003 10:14 PM

actually with the airbag you should have a 7-8 and 4-5 position on the steering wheel, that causes the least amount of damage to yourself, even at 9 and 3 your left hand is going into the window.

and as for turning, you want to shuffle the steering wheel through your hands (on street and track) its also better to push the wheel as oposed to pulling it. you have better control while pushing since its harder to push it than it is to pull it

whitelegacy98 12-25-2003 10:12 PM

oh yeah, whatever you do dont wrap your thumb around the wheel have it run along the wheel otherwise if the airbag goes it can break both your thumbs

scoobylvr 12-26-2003 08:03 PM

This is one of the most informative threads I have read so far. I had never thought about hand position when the airbag goes off(being that I drive with one hand with thumb curled under). I guess I will have to try something else. I really do appreciate this thread :D

Nick Koan 12-27-2003 12:19 AM

Yeah, when I was taking driving school, I was told 9 and 3 for casual driving. I ended up watching a new insurance drivers saftey tape, a few months back, that recomended 7/8 and 4/5. I couldn't believe it, I felt like I was lied to when I took drivers ed :D

I dunno, 7 and 4 feels a bit akward to me. I usually use that position when I'm stuck in traffic. I guess, it just doesn't feel "active" enough. 7 and 4 feels a bit more passive to me.

ish 12-28-2003 11:13 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by nKoan[/i]
[B] Yeah, when I was taking driving school, I was told 9 and 3 for casual driving. I ended up watching a new insurance drivers saftey tape, a few months back, that recomended 7/8 and 4/5. I couldn't believe it, I felt like I was lied to when I took drivers ed :D

I dunno, 7 and 4 feels a bit akward to me. I usually use that position when I'm stuck in traffic. I guess, it just doesn't feel "active" enough. 7 and 4 feels a bit more passive to me. [/B][/QUOTE]

well the whole thing with drivers ed and beginning to drive is that they teach you how to drive, not the best way to drive. if you drive the way they first teach you years later that is scary, as you drive you learn better techniques to do things