Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

AUDT: Rant: How many of you guys get s*** for spending money on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
AUDT: Rant: How many of you guys get s*** for spending money on your car?

Hi all.

Here is my rant:

I was just wondering how many of you guys get s*** from parents or significant others for spending on money on your car. Just recently, my dad ripped me apart for spending $200 on a set of wheels and tires. That's right, two hundred dollars on a used set of Rota Subzero's and Goodyear F1 Eagle tires with 85% tread left. I can't believe that my dad would make such a big deal on something that is relatively cheap. Unbelievable!! For your information, those tires brand new from tire rack are $132 a piece.

What pisses me off the most was after he found out I got them, he started comparing me to my friends. He was like... I bet your friends at school barely have enough money to put food on the table and that they are barely making ends meet. You don't see your friend being as luxurious as you are. Of course I am not going to talk back, he's footing the tuition, but for the record, my friends at school, their parents, every week drive from Fremont to Davis to bring them food. Bring them food!!

"Kevin, compared to your friends, how come you have so much money?" The difference between them and me, I work! I have goals for the car. I take money from my paycheck and set it aside so that I can save up for the next upgrade. My friends just lock themselves up in their rooms studying. When they want something, they get Mommy and Daddy to pay $700 for their cosplay costume. Not once have I asked my parents to pay for upgrades on my car. Everything I've "upgraded" on my car has come out of my own pocket. (Shameless plug time. Thanks to all the guys that hooked me up with deals whether it was big or small.)

TIA for listening to my rant.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
yeah, its hard to take these kinda talks well, but as long as you know that your not spending what you don't have, or spending money on things that you don't need then falling back on people to cash, then you have no worries.

when people tell me that i spend too much money on my car i just tell them that i can and i'm responsible enough to handle the money that i made. besides, whats the point of saving money for the sake of saving money?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Better than dropping money into a big-time commercial bank where my interest is like 0.35%. Not even half a percent. I am losing the value of my money while it sits there in a bank.

edit: Just checked the rate. It is more like .20% now.

Last edited by darkonion; 10-03-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Kev, I know where you are coming from. My last semester at sac state I was taking hella classes in business and trying to make myself like it... when somethings not meant to be its not meant to be.. I went from straight a's from 6th grade to my sophomore year in college... then got an f, c-,c, and a b... my parents blamed my car at first.. but then listened to me say i hated it there and they didnt have any thing that interested me!

so now i am working on my emt and then becoming a firefighter!! woot! yet still modding my car and having no problems lol

people take the thing you like and blame it when ever you do something they don't like...

but i give you props, you arent spoiled at all, you work your *** off with the L. there are kids out there, 16 with sti's daddy paid for so its all relative to your lifestyle... but your dad's tripppin
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
your dad is trippin because of what type of car youre making...nobody has any reason to get mad over tires for $200, they usually cost double that...a good tire will keep you safe aka alive. Maybe hes just worried youre a street racer, and doesnt want you to be a statistic.

i give myself S for spending $ on my car...im 21 and have 3 cars at my parents/my house.

The best $300 spent was my Sparco Corsa...mmm seat rails to the knees! i lost my abs though, commuting the mtns 40 minutes a day was my only workout lol

ive probly made a total 5 year wage of $12,000 and 3/4 of that is in my cars themselves...thats why im selling them, but my RS

Originally Posted by wrxtunerd

but i give you props, you arent spoiled at all, you work your *** off with the L. there are kids out there, 16 with sti's daddy paid for so its all relative to your lifestyle... but your dad's tripppin
can i get an Amen?!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by wrxtunerd
Kev, I know where you are coming from. My last semester at sac state I was taking hella classes in business and trying to make myself like it... when somethings not meant to be its not meant to be.. I went from straight a's from 6th grade to my sophomore year in college... then got an f, c-,c, and a b... my parents blamed my car at first.. but then listened to me say i hated it there and they didnt have any thing that interested me!

so now i am working on my emt and then becoming a firefighter!! woot! yet still modding my car and having no problems lol

people take the thing you like and blame it when ever you do something they don't like...

At least we know how to check fluid levels, air pressure, and actually understand how the car works. Some of my friends need a crash course on stuff like that. Chug, chug, chug... dies... Why doesn't my car work? Do you have any gas? There's your problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM

I actually keep an Excel spreadsheet of the mods to my car. I think last I checked, I've spent $4300ish.

Coilovers, two sets of wheels, replacement wheels, Fumoto valve, rear brake conversion, SS brake lines, etc.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 4URABUS
Solution: start spending money on stealthy mods, where people won't notice the changes until they're in the passenger seat.
My dad didn't notice the coilovers.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 AM
VIP Member

I do that to... all my 07 wrx expenses/mods since feb added up to like $5000 so far lol... my paychecks pretty much = my car payment + mods + gf
Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

funny how that works huh
Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

glitch in the matrix AGAIN!!!
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
haha, I bought the iPhone and my girlfriend got mad and said it was a "waste of money" until I said she could have my old SLVR to replace her dying RAZR
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
i get **** from my girl all the time, and may folks is well... but basically i dont spend half what they do on vacation and such
Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Its probably just your parents. sorry. I dont know of anyone else who would complain about getting wheels AND tires for $200. LOL.

Quick Reply: AUDT: Rant: How many of you guys get s*** for spending money on your car?