WTF .. Taxpayers Foot Bill For Calif. Lawmakers' Free Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
WTF .. Taxpayers Foot Bill For Calif. Lawmakers' Free Gas

Taxpayers Foot Bill For Calif. Lawmakers' Free Gas

SACRAMENTO (AP) ― Californians have been feeling pain at the pump for months amid record-high gas prices, with one notable exception: state lawmakers.

Members of California's Legislature enjoy a perk not available in any other state capital—unchecked use of gasoline charge cards that stick taxpayers with the bill.

Through the first seven months of the year, California taxpayers have spent $220,000 to pay the gasoline charges of their lawmakers, according to a review of records requested by The Associated Press. That includes July, when lawmakers already were passed their deadline to approve a budget and the state faced a $15.2 billion deficit.

California is unique in giving legislators free rein on transportation spending, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In most other states, lawmakers must submit the same kind of mileage expense forms used by companies to reimburse employees for their business travel.

"You have to prove what you're using it for," said Morgan Cullin, a Denver-based researcher for the bipartisan national organization.

On top of free gas, California lawmakers also get state-issued vehicles, another perk that most states avoid.

The fuel card given to lawmakers is supposed to be used "for legislative purposes," but there is no way to check if they use it for public business or private travel.

Lawmakers pull up to the pump, swipe the gas card and never see the bill, which is sent directly to the Senate and Assembly rules committees. The taxpayers take over from there.

"I trust them," said Jon Waldie, the Assembly Rules Committee's chief administrative officer.

The charge cards also can be used for incidental purchases such as snacks, drinks, windshield wipers or even oil changes. Legislative officers said there is no way to know how much lawmakers are charging for those but said the bulk of the payments are for fuel.

Robert Stern, president of the Center for Governmental Studies in Los Angeles, said use of the charge cards should be scrutinized more closely or scrapped altogether.

"There should be a random audit done of the use of the car and other expenses by an outside auditor," said Stern, the former general counsel of the California Fair Political Practices Commission. "If everybody knows there is no oversight, they're going to slip a little bit."

He said California could save money by reimbursing legislators for each mile they drive on official business instead of handing them a taxpayer-funded car and gasoline charge card. The practice of giving legislators both began about 50 years ago, when gas was cheap and part-time lawmakers earned little.

"Now they're paid a lot, and they still get the perk," Stern said.

California lawmakers make $116,208 a year plus $170 for daily expenses. The Assembly speaker and president pro tem of the Senate make $133,639 annually.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't use a state-issued gas card. As governor, his transportation is provided by the California Highway Patrol.

Lawmakers are on pace to set an annual record for gasoline charges, billing taxpayers nearly $40,000 more through July than during the same seven-month period last year. Part of that is certainly due to this year's soaring gas prices, but there is no efficient way to check whether lawmakers are driving more or cutting back on the miles they drive, as most Americans have.

Of California's 120 lawmakers, 21 charged more than $3,000 to their gasoline cards from January through July. Of those, 13 are Republicans, who preached about fiscal austerity during this summer's record-long budget impasse.

The biggest gas guzzler was Assemblyman Guy Houston, R-Pleasanton, who charged taxpayers $5,139.84. Houston said he uses his state-issued Toyota Highlander hybrid to commute 180 miles roundtrip on most days from his home in the East Bay to Sacramento.

"I'm one of those who lives just far enough away to where it takes a lot of gas and a lot of mileage to get home, but close enough where I get to go home and see my family," Houston said. "In six years, I haven't cost the state one plane flight, but I do have to use a lot of gas."

Second was Sen. Dean Florez, D-Shafter, who charged $5,135.37.

Florez, however, reimbursed the state for the fuel he used traveling throughout his Central Valley district, meaning he repaid almost the entire amount. He was the only lawmaker to cut a reimbursement check.

"Like many other legislators who live in rural areas—my district runs 300 miles long—and given our schedules, I end up spending a lot of time on the road," Florez said in an e-mail.

He switched to a Lexus hybrid in March 2007. Even so, he said, "given the high price of gas this year, it's added up astronomically."

Florez and his fellow senators get yet another perk. He is one of 25 senators with access to a second car that is leased for him through the state Department of General Services. The second car is for their use around Sacramento.

Senators fill those cars at state gas pumps, costing taxpayers $9,535 this year in addition to what they charged on their individual fuel cards. The state Assembly owns a fleet of pool vehicles, but they can be used by any member at any time so fuel purchases can't be traced to individuals.

Most of the senators who use the second vehicles live in Southern California or the lower Central Valley, far from the state capital. There are two exceptions.

Sen. Tom McClintock's legal residence is in Thousand Oaks, northwest of Los Angeles. But McClintock, a Republican, lives in Elk Grove, just south of Sacramento. He charged nearly $200 on gasoline for the vehicle he drives in Southern California, but more than $500 on his Sacramento vehicle in the first seven months of the year.

McClintock, who is running for a Northern California congressional seat, did not immediately return a call seeking an explanation about why he charged taxpayers $500 for driving near the state capital, where he has no constituents.

Sen. Carole Migden, a Democrat from San Francisco, did not use a gasoline charge card this year but pumped $3,558.68 worth of state gasoline into the Honda Accord hybrid leased for her use in Sacramento. Migden gave up driving for a time last year after a wild ride down Interstate 80 that ended when she rear-ended another driver with the state-issued Toyota Highlander hybrid she was driving.

Of those who charged taxpayers more than $3,000 for their gasoline use in the first seven months of the year, 13 were Assembly members and eight were senators. The big spenders included legislators representing both rural and urban districts, near the state capital and far away.

Assembly Minority Leader Mike Villines, R-Clovis, charged $4,091.49. He blamed his long commute to and from the Fresno area and the expansive size of his rural district for giving him the seventh largest gasoline bill, despite driving a Highlander hybrid.

Responding to the AP's findings, Villines said lawmakers should be forced prove to the public that they are using the gas cards only for legitimate business purposes. That could include following other states' leads and reimbursing lawmakers by the mile and only for specific trips, he said.

"For me, it's key that the voters can see, OK, what are you doing, what does it look like, and it's all public record," Villines said. "You don't want anyone to feel like, Oh man, you're doing something wrong."

In Florida, for example, state lawmakers must complete forms listing each trip's mileage, purpose, date and place the travel occurred.

Florida's 160 lawmakers were reimbursed $197,748 through July at 44 cents per mile, which includes not only gasoline but vehicle maintenance. That works out to $1,236 for each member, but they were using their private vehicles and not state-issued ones as in California.

California taxpayers spent $1,874 for each of the state's 120 lawmakers for fuel alone, or $638 more per lawmaker.

Mileage reimbursements were higher for lawmakers in three other large states during roughly the same time period, but those payments were for lawmakers' use of their own vehicles and covered their costs for gasoline and wear-and-tear on tires and engines.

On average, reimbursements were $2,550 for Michigan's 148 lawmakers and $2,565 for Texas' 181 legislators. In New York, the 208 lawmakers were reimbursed an average of $3,352 through the first six months of the year.

Nine of California's legislators decline state vehicles, but just one declines both a car and a gas card. Sen. Mark Wyland, R-Solana Beach, hasn't taken either since he was elected to the Assembly in 2000.

"It's just been my policy since I got here," Wyland said. "I'm not going to expand on that."

Old 09-26-2008, 03:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I'm at work no time to read all this, cliffnotes plz.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
They roll ****ty gas milage cars and trucks, We (tax payers) foot the bill.
What ever happen to paying your own way to work?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
You'd figure with 6 figure salaries and bomb *** benefits (health and major vacations) they'd be happy...

Who cares about the gas expenses, it's not that much!
NOPE, they have to rape us with expensing ****ing $175/day!?! That's like 40k/yr JUST their daily allowance!!

WTF!?!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Some ***** *** legislators are spending upwards of $5000 SO FAR this year on unregulated gas cards driving around in cars purchased with our tax money. Some of them have access to TWO cars.

A lot of states do not issue cars, and CA is the only state that issues gas cards.

The cards can be used for anything you can buy at a gas station (food, oil change, etc.) and none of it is tracked, state business or not.

"California is unique in giving legislators free rein on transportation spending, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In most other states, lawmakers must submit the same kind of mileage expense forms used by companies to reimburse employees for their business travel."

So, $116,000 + $170 per day allowance + car + unlimited, unregulated gas card.

That doesn't include the Sacramento motor pool which refuels at a state gas station. None of that is tracked by who uses it, but it is up to over $9500 this year so far.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by ryball
Some ***** *** legislators are spending upwards of $5000 SO FAR this year on unregulated gas cards driving around in cars purchased with our tax money. Some of them have access to TWO cars.

A lot of states do not issue cars, and CA is the only state that issues gas cards.

The cards can be used for anything you can buy at a gas station (food, oil change, etc.) and none of it is tracked, state business or not.

"California is unique in giving legislators free rein on transportation spending, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In most other states, lawmakers must submit the same kind of mileage expense forms used by companies to reimburse employees for their business travel."

So, $116,000 + $170 per day allowance + car + unlimited, unregulated gas card.

That doesn't include the Sacramento motor pool which refuels at a state gas station. None of that is tracked by who uses it, but it is up to over $9500 this year so far.
It's not the like 5K in gas expense, it's the ****ing $40k/yr in "daily" expenses that's pissing me off the most!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Old School

We have like hundred of these ppl right? Hundred of them expensing $175/day.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:05 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Just when you thought you've heard everything.

Is there anything else that this state hasn't failed at in the past few years?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
You'd figure with 6 figure salaries and bomb *** benefits (health and major vacations) they'd be happy...

Who cares about the gas expenses, it's not that much!
NOPE, they have to rape us with expensing ****ing $175/day!?! That's like 40k/yr JUST their daily allowance!!

WTF!?!
I thought the exact same thing. Because its a per diem, its potentialy every day of the month, AND its tax free....so even if they only get paid for 20days out of the month....175x20x12 = $42K tax free....that's like $60K salary. add that to their current $116K salary, and now you're at $178K....
Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

jeez louise people...

why are you even surprised that public workers... that supposed to work for the public... do these behaviors?!?

there is no oversight for them.

what's needed to privatized the government.

to them, there is no bottom line.

all politicians will abuse their powers/benefits.

shoot. $170 per day perdiem????? me as a lowly state worker, i get around $40 meal perdiem. i get $.31 per mile driving allowance. $4 per day of incidentals.

wanna get even madder? you know how oakland is almost going broke? the mayor takes a trip to DC. he books in a $1000+ per night hotel...

insane...

if you people knew the waste government is... you'd either throw up or run for office...
Old 09-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by ldivinag
run for office...
I've considered it, running for local office. But ****, it's not easy. The schoo board is entrenched, so is the mayor... It's awful, and I can't believe it.

I am surprised. I knew they made good money and had awesome benefits, but not an extra $40k in their pockets, each of them, that's so much money!

If I ran for office, it would be not to do the same things, I'd be out to destroy this **** system. Its like I'm tasting first blood right now, i'm so angry!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM

Car Info: wrx02
It would be really bad if these mother #$#$% are the one harrassing us with #$@!ing CARB and they drive #$@#ing hummers. I pay @#@ load of tax every $%#@ing year! You %$#ers.

^^^ sorry I had to vent. This really **** me off.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
yeah, I've been saying for YEARS that full time law makers should be the first cuts made. Its an unnecessary expense.

Mich. is a state that's pushing for part time only and if I'm not mistaken they're one of 4 states with full time lawmakers... Mich. CA. Penn. NY. There are 6 others classified as full time. California's law makers make about $40,000 a year more than any other state and that's before the overtime, bonus and $1000 a week free money on top of free cars, free gas and other crap they get for free. They make double every other state in the country. DOUBLE.

Rhode Island law makers make around $12,000 a YEAR.

this is a hot topic nation wide as more and more responsibilities are behing shrugged off at the federal level and left for states to handle.

It has been a topic of interest for Arnold since he stepped in to office.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:45 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I've considered it, running for local office. But ****, it's not easy. The schoo board is entrenched, so is the mayor... It's awful, and I can't believe it.

I am surprised. I knew they made good money and had awesome benefits, but not an extra $40k in their pockets, each of them, that's so much money!

If I ran for office, it would be not to do the same things, I'd be out to destroy this **** system. Its like I'm tasting first blood right now, i'm so angry!
A friend of mine from high school was major of watsonville. He got booted for a bar fight and for hitting his girlfriend. So it's not as hard as it would seem.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:49 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!

You'ld never have the lobbyists or "special interest groups" to fund your campaign. They would flock to the other candidate and try to destroy your entire platform.

Quick Reply: WTF .. Taxpayers Foot Bill For Calif. Lawmakers' Free Gas