i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Whats the Over/Under (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/whats-over-under-209299/)

STiForFun 08-31-2009 10:46 PM

Whats the Over/Under

That Caltrans will screw up on the bay bridge operation this weekend?

[B][url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/31/BA1419FNG4.DTL[/url][/B]

The Bay Bridge will close entirely from 8 p.m. Thursday to 5 a.m. Sept. 8. Almost 260,000 cars travel the span daily, and officials are advising people to take transit, stay home or, if you must drive, build in extra time for expected traffic delays.

-- BART will operate special hourly overnight service to 14 stations Friday through Monday and add extra trains.

-- AC Transit will pick up and drop off its passengers heading to and from San Francisco at four BART stations: Coliseum/Oakland Airport, MacArthur, North Berkeley and West Oakland, from Friday through Monday.

-- The Golden Gate, Vallejo Baylink and Alameda/Oakland ferries will run extra service on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The Alameda Harbor Bay ferry will add extra trips on Friday.

-- WestCAT bus service will not serve San Francisco during the bridge-closure days.

Motorists should brace for heavier traffic on the other bridges in region.

For a complete listing of transit schedules, or to get real-time traffic information, go to [url]www.511.org[/url] or dial 511.

woocabin 08-31-2009 10:51 PM

wow suxorz

ruehl 08-31-2009 11:20 PM

Vegas won't take that beat since it is a certainty they will mess up.

ldivinag 09-01-2009 02:49 AM

think they will finish ahead of schedule...

turfshark 09-01-2009 09:21 AM

haven't they been doing this for like the past 3 years? seems like its gone fine every time.

iLoqin 09-01-2009 09:23 AM

They've announced it for a month now, so I hope people are paying attention and plan accordingly... I could imagine some outsiders taking a vacation and planning to hit the bridge... and be like WTF?!? Haha =P

gilmore25 09-01-2009 10:04 AM

Last time it was done in under 70 hours, they're are expecting to beat that time and that might be the only thing that hurts them, trying too hard and messing something up.

Irish_car_B0mb 09-01-2009 10:49 AM

i dont think it will be a big deal. they do this every year. if i read correctly the same people that fix'd the 880, C.C. Myers, are the folks working on the bridge. they always finish ahead of schedule.

thats how they make their money so i dont imagine they will screw up.

c c myer will bid a job to take 96 hours. and then he will set up the job to get done in 70 hours. so all that extra money for those 26 hours for time/labor, that he would have had to spend to get it done if it were to take 96 hrs goes right into the bank.

psoper 09-01-2009 10:52 AM

On top of that Cal Trans projects usually have bonuses attached for early completion. If Cal Trans were the party responsible for the work, then yeah I'd have my concerns, but I think the project is in the right hands and will get done well and on time or better.

JelloChex 09-01-2009 10:54 AM

So what exactly would be an "Early Completion" for CalTrans? Under 10 years?

If BART just ran the overnight schedule as a normal schedule then some of the traffic and heavy congestion we experience in the Bay Area would be alleviated as more people would be able to properly utilize public tranportation.

STiForFun 09-01-2009 09:30 PM

Timmaayyyyy!

STiForFun 09-07-2009 05:55 PM

Now its up to WEDNESDAY, looks like I'm headed to the South Bay 2nite.

ldivinag 09-07-2009 06:22 PM

bzzzt....

the original intent was done.

the emergency fix for that broken piece is the reason for the extra day.

i say cal trans did their job...

i coulda sworn i used to go to a club in san fran in the late80s erly 90s called the I-Bar... lol...

STiForFun 09-07-2009 10:37 PM

the work schedule called for it to be done Sunday, with Monday as an overflow day "just in case".

Caltrans didnt count on 2 "just in case" days, or apparently do the right inspections before the work started.

Spoolin415 09-08-2009 12:21 AM

I'm loving the extension, the city is so much nicer when the bridge is closed.

They should close it every weekend.