Toyota FT-86 concept at Geneva (Conglomerated FRS/BRZ thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:50 AM

it's been known it end up the scion and this is great for it not being a 50k car. Everything up until an article i've seen now said 2.0 mentioning turbo motor reworked (maybe higher revs is my guess). They say the car is 2700 and is 95 percent exact to what will come out. Being the scion, I assume there will be an uber cheap model w no aero kit and a n/a motor. I believe this because there was solid rumors of 16-20 thousand, and also a 27 thousand model, seems like difference between sti and wrx.

If the car comes with less than 200hp and looks like that it will be a true shame.

if they can muster 250hp and those looks im in for sure

to me that looks exactly like the previous pictures?? the only difference you are seeing is no spoiler.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 04-21-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Scion FR-S

Front engine, Rear Wheel, Sport

The rear-wheel-drive compact reflects the highly anticipated sports car currently being developed by Subaru and Toyota, which was shown earlier this year at the Geneva Motor Show as the Toyota FT-86 II. Like the Toyota version, the FR-S is powered by Subaru’s opposed four-cylinder “boxer” engine.

According to a Scion media release, the naturally-aspirated 2-liter engine is fed by Toyota's innovative D4-S injection system, which utilizes both direct and port injection for increased horsepower and torque throughout the entire powerband, without sacrificing fuel mileage.

“The FR-S is built around the core goal of achieving ‘pure balance,’ which begins with the strategic placement of a flat 2-liter boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration,” Scion said in the release. “The engine's compact size and shape allows the FR-S powertrain to be mounted lower and further back towards the rear, giving the car a lower center of gravity and a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio.”

A production version of the Toyota FT-86 II is planned for production in 2012. No word yet on plans for the Scion.
Found @: http://automotive.speedtv.com/articl...aring-concept/
Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 AM
rok

Car Info: 20 Tesla Y LR AWD
tiny car is tiny

Edit: just watched the vid.

20x8 in front 20x10 in back with 18" rotors. REALLY? how economical is that? i highly doubt scion would produce a production car with "twankies"

Last edited by rok; 04-21-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRB wagon / 2006 Red Toyota Tacoma
nice
Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
I thought I would be more excited... but I'm not.
I guess I'll have to wait and see how the final product turns out.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX & 01 NEON "SRT0"
i dont see the point, if the ft-86 is released in america as well as the scion, there gonna have 2 versions of the car on the same lot? im guessing america is still not getting the ft-86 and we will end up with just the scion.
or hopefully we hear somthing from subie and the original plan of toyota in every other country and subie here, and scion now.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 PM

Car Info: '01 GC8 & '96 OBS
Originally Posted by rok
tiny car is tiny

Edit: just watched the vid.

20x8 in front 20x10 in back with 18" rotors. REALLY? how economical is that? i highly doubt scion would produce a production car with "twankies"
quoted for truth
Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
I like it.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by pr0jectmayhem
i dont see the point, if the ft-86 is released in america as well as the scion, there gonna have 2 versions of the car on the same lot? im guessing america is still not getting the ft-86 and we will end up with just the scion.
or hopefully we hear somthing from subie and the original plan of toyota in every other country and subie here, and scion now.
this Scion is the ft-86. The only other version now is Subaru's version.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...nfo-auto_shows

Whether you call it the Subelica or the Celibaru, Toyota’s version of the new rear-drive 2+2 sports coupe being co-developed with Subaru and codenamed the FT-86 will land in the U.S. as a Scion.

Blazing red, with a gaping maw and atomic-insect headlights, the two-door Scion FR-S (which means Front-engine, Rear-wheel-drive, Sport—woo, clever!) may represent a sort of defibrillator to the chest of Toyota’s youth division, where sales remain lackluster since the 2007 redesign of the xB and 2008 introduction of the xD. The tC was re-skinned this year, but looks starkly similar to the outgoing car. Also coming to Scion showrooms in July is a three-door mini-car called the iQ.

Just a clay model with no interior right now, the FR-S is currently slated to arrive in Scion showrooms in mid-2011, although the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan have thrown Toyota's product timing into chaos. As Scion is strictly a North American brand, a Toyota-badged version will launch simultaneously in Europe and Asia. Expect that car and the production Subaru version to show up at this fall's Tokyo show.

DI for the Flat-Four

With a length of 168.2 inches and a wheelbase of 101.2 inches, the FR-S is one to two inches shorter in both measurements than the last-generation Celica. Its 2.0-liter naturally aspirated flat-four engine—sourced from Subaru—uses Toyota’s D4-S fuel-injection system, which features both port- and direct injection and switches between them to optimize efficiency.

Horsepower figures were not quoted, but with direct injection in the mix to help boost specific output, the engine should be good for at least 200 hp. Toyota says the mounting of the flat-four low and behind the front axle will keep the center of gravity down and centered for better handling. It also helps front-to-rear weight distribution.

Buyers will have a choice of a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. A limited-slip differential will be standard. It’s hard to say how much of the FR-S is real (the roof, doors, hood, and trunk are probably production-spec) and how much is auto-show glam. The staggered-width wheels by Five Axis—20 x 8.5-inchers in front and 20 x 10.5 in rear—are certainly show-stand parts that won’t make it to production. The exaggerated rear undertray with dual exhaust “exits”—read: one exhaust, two tailpipes—also may be extra makeup for the show.

The arrival of the FT-86 as a Scion surprised some (especially if they had been under a rock for the last week), but division vice president and general manager Jack Hollis says the car was slated to be a Scion early in its development. It definitely represents a commitment by Toyota to the floundering brand.

The production FR-S will have narrow fenders, but likely will be similar in overall styling to this concept. According to Hollis, the car has undergone a styling makeover since Toyota president Akio Toyoda declared last year that the company's styling is too staid, and that it should be more passionate. An FT-86 concept shown at the 2009 Tokyo auto show had more slab-like sides and a less-aggressive face. Also, the FR-S's rear end draws strongly from the Lexus LF-A supercar, a characteristic not on the original FT-86 show car.

Hunting Hyundai and Ford

The Scion tC starts at $18,995, and Hollis tells us that the FR-S will definitely launch above that car but below $30,000, depending on how Scion equips it at launch. Scion's pattern has been to load its cars up with standard features, and Hollis says the FR-S will arrive as a single trim level with lots of included goodies. A sunroof won't be one of them, though, as the car wasn't designed to have one. The pricing and drivetrain layout will put it in direct competition with the Hyundai Genesis coupe (base price: $23,100) and domestic competitors such as the V-6–powered Ford Mustang ($22,995).

Last edited by TurnWRX; 04-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by rok

The wheels/brakes are just for show. Final production will be a more dumbed down look with regards to the front and rear end, and with probably 17 inch wheels.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 2005 sti
Sweet. Needs a hood scoop. Lol.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
I like it. Econo-sport RWD. I like. I want. I will wait for Subaru's version.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Car Info: On 2 wheels
fender vents gone, check.
wing gone, check.

Looking much better
Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Car Info: Nadda
I like the wide base, looks aggressive, the wing can go. Less than 30k for their performance car is reasonably marketable... *scoffs @ Tesla*
Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
I'm going to start saving now! With that boxer rumble and Toyota's sports car heritage has got to be a great combo

Quick Reply: Toyota FT-86 concept at Geneva (Conglomerated FRS/BRZ thread)