Toyota FT-86 concept at Geneva (Conglomerated FRS/BRZ thread)

Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
a so cal i club member has a family member that is driving the test mule. there will be no STi version.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by Krinkov
more spy pics of this thing on The Ring. Now with cheesy tacked on body kit and a spoiler that would put any STI/EVOs to shame, guess we know what demographic they're aiming for at this point (ricers)

ya Ill bet you need alot of downforce for all of that 200na hp

My friend just sent me an MMS photo of a car with the same paint in LA. I looked at it and then I saw this thread. What a coincidence
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by iLoqin
My friend just sent me an MMS photo of a car with the same paint in LA. I looked at it and then I saw this thread. What a coincidence
Sean M? aka gtr blog?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
I'm referring to the fact it has never been disputed that there would be a higher horsepower model to come, this is also theoretically backed by varying reports of a sub 30k car and of a 20k car. There have been numerous reports of a likely higher hp model, but nothing concrete or confirmed. I was wondering if one was to come out which model you think would release it, toyota owns part of subaru so they probably have the upper hand in what gets decided. I was just curious if one was to arrive what you'd guess would be the outcome???

Also the only thing official said from scion is;
scion SCION
@
@iClayton92 Scion has not announced plans to release a FR-S Turbo. Stay tuned for information as it becomes available. ^SP
18 May
I guess anything is possible down the road, but if it does I'll bet it wont be from the Scion side. Nowadays Toyota is basically allergic to anything that has to do with performance, hence how they went back and forth on whether or not they were even going to go through with this project even well into its development, they clearly are only interested in making boring driving apliances for boring people at this point. Probably just came down to the fact that they were already in too far on the development to pull the plug, I'll bet alot of bean counters at Toyota are still agonizing over its existence.

Last edited by Krinkov; 05-26-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 AM

yeah but toyotas marginal performance can only get them so far, and they try to be involved with racing to some degree. I think their real issue is the fact you can only sell cars for a lot of money and above average that don't perform that great for so long, no matter how reliable.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
yeah but toyotas marginal performance can only get them so far, and they try to be involved with racing to some degree. I think their real issue is the fact you can only sell cars for a lot of money and above average that don't perform that great for so long, no matter how reliable.
yeah this would have been better if it came out 4 years ago when they first started talking about it, but they are taking a hell of a risk now bringing a 200hp car in the same low 20K market you can get 300hp Camaro or Mustang for, or even the turbo Hyundai. Even if the scionbaru is lighter its going to be a tough sell to most Americans. One of the reasons cars like the Nissan S14 are so popular now is because they hardly sold any here when they were on the market. Why? Because they were selling them with crappy 4 banger truck motors for the same price as Mustangs and Camaros with V8s! They could have just as easily brought them over with the SR20DETs and sold a **** ton.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 AM
9 to 5 mod

Nowadays Toyota is basically allergic to anything that has to do with performance
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM
9 to 5 mod

Nowadays Toyota is basically allergic to anything that has to do with performance,
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 AM
9 to 5 mod

I Nowadays Toyota is basically allergic to anything that has to do with performance,

Should I keep going?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi

Should I keep going?
Okay.

1. Yeah, they pulled out of F1 2 years ago mate. Guess it just wasnt helping them move too many Prius or Camrys, huh?

2. The LFA was in development for 10 years and it still cant compete with other exotics half its price, they needed to get them out there just to recoupe their losses, but even now no ones buying them. But they at least saw it through so I'll give you half credit on that one http://jalopnik.com/5805471/is-the-l...s-jaguar-xj220

3. You bring up the IS-F as proof of toyotas interest in making a performance car?! LOL!!
Funny because I was going to mention what a turd the IS-F is in my last post but I thought everyone knew it by now. The IS-F was toyotas cynical half-assed response to have a Lexus to compete with the M3 and RS4, well at least on paper. They couldnt even be bothered to develop a twin clutch or even install a decent 6 speed manual into it, just dropped another automatic into because they could care less about performance really. I have a good customer who had one for a couple months and tracked it and promptly traded it back in, he told me flat out theres NO way anyone at Lexus tried to tune the suspension on this thing, and hes a driving instructor so I usually respect his opinion.

But dont take my word for it...

the IS-Fs fake exhaust tips are a metaphor for the entire car

Last edited by Krinkov; 05-27-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM
9 to 5 mod

Okay.

1. Yeah, they pulled out of F1 2 years ago mate. Guess it just wasnt helping them move too many Prius or Camrys, huh?

2. The LFA was in development for 10 years and it still cant compete with other exotics half its price, they needed to get them out there just to recoupe their losses, but even now no ones buying them. But they at least saw it through so I'll give you half credit on that one http://jalopnik.com/5805471/is-the-l...s-jaguar-xj220

3. You bring up the IS-F as proof of toyotas interest in making a performance car?! LOL!!
Funny because I was going to mention what a turd the IS-F is in my last post but I thought everyone knew it by now. The IS-F was toyotas cynical half-assed response to have a Lexus to compete with the M3 and RS4, well at least on paper. They couldnt even be bothered to develop a twin clutch or even install a decent 6 speed manual into it, just dropped another automatic into because they could care less about performance really. I have a good customer who had one for a couple months and tracked it and promptly traded it back in, he told me flat out theres NO way anyone at Lexus tried to tune the suspension on this thing, and hes a driving instructor so I usually respect his opinion.
1. They were in the pinnacle of motor sports. Yes they got out. But how can you say that they do not focus on performance. Why even get in if you dont care about performance.

2. LFA lapped the ring at 7:24 Zonda F 7:27 http://www.worldcarfans.com/10712282...ts-ring-record
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/16/n...30th-birthday/

3. Yes. Is it better than an M3? No. It is not made for you. If you want a hardcore machine go to get a Lotus 7 replica, and beat Vettes and M3s all day on the track. It is a balance between luxury and performance. Some companies lean towards performance some lean a bit more to luxury. We know which way Lexus went with it. If they mount the tips to the bumper they would break off the first start up.

ToyoDa raced in the 24 hour nurburgring race........... In a toyota
http://www.oncars.com/news-blogs/sto...he-Nurburgring

Last edited by sigma pi; 05-27-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

Should I keep going?
1. They were in the pinnacle of motor sports. Yes they got out. But how can you say that they do not focus on performance. Why even get in if you dont care about performance.

2. LFA lapped the ring at 7:24 Zonda F 7:27 http://www.worldcarfans.com/10712282...ts-ring-record
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/16/n...30th-birthday/

3. Yes. Is it better than an M3? No. It is not made for you. If you want a hardcore machine go to get a Lotus 7 replica, and beat Vettes and M3s all day on the track. It is a balance between luxury and performance. Some companies lean towards performance some lean a bit more to luxury. We know which way Lexus went with it. If they mount the tips to the bumper they would break off the first start up.

ToyoDa raced in the 24 hour nurburgring race........... In a toyota
http://www.oncars.com/news-blogs/sto...he-Nurburgring
^^^ THIS is why we can't have nice things. This is exactly the kind of internetty argument that drives me away from discussion boards.

I know exactly what Krinkov is saying, and I cannot believe that you don't. Toyota is allergic to creating a sports car that is available. The examples you posted drive this point home. You cannot purchase something sporting from Toyota right now. We are not talking about sporting stuff you can watch on TV, we are talking about fun, affordable, engaging, sporting vehicles that you can actually purchase. Finally they are going to make a sports-oriented car that the public can buy, and it's already doomed which is clearly visible with a glance to the past.

I think it's hilarious that people whined and moaned about the Z32 300ZX and the MKIV Supra becoming expensive, bloated cars that were not available to the public. I did not know one person back in 1995 who even felt comfortable buying a $46,000 Japanese sports/GT car. They were gonna do it different this time; Nissan was going to stick to the 240Z roots and make a light, affordable sports car. Enter the 350Z and now we have the GT-R and the LFA which are pure unobtanium for most people. For myself even if someone gave me $100k to buy a car, I would not buy a GT-R and I wouldn't be able to afford an LFA.

It's funny - as a self proclaimed Toyota fan from forever who lived for my '70s Celicas, Corollas and even my MR2, I am not interested. Personally, today, I would sooner buy a Buick than anything from Toyota. At least Buick is trying, and has brought us the Opel Insignia but with a 260hp turbo engine, a 6spd manual and Brembos.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:10 PM

Lol okay Mike, I can see its important for you to feel that toyota is somehow still commited to making performance cars so ill just stop here before we derail the thread any further. Suffice to say, the last thing to come out with a toyota badge that could somewhat be called sports car was the last celica that hasn't been made for what, 7 or 8 years? That's really a shame, especially for a company that was in F1 pretty much the whole time since then.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Lol once again me and jacob were typing and responding at the same time anyhow, what were we talking abou...SQUIRREL!!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
^^^ THIS is why we can't have nice things. This is exactly the kind of internetty argument that drives me away from discussion boards.

I know exactly what Krinkov is saying, and I cannot believe that you don't. Toyota is allergic to creating a sports car that is available. The examples you posted drive this point home. You cannot purchase something sporting from Toyota right now. We are not talking about sporting stuff you can watch on TV, we are talking about fun, affordable, engaging, sporting vehicles that you can actually purchase. Finally they are going to make a sports-oriented car that the public can buy, and it's already doomed which is clearly visible with a glance to the past.
Sounds like you are talking about a Miata. cheap and fun to drive.

Why is this one doomed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota FT-86 concept at Geneva (Conglomerated FRS/BRZ thread)