Smog Time - Replacing Stock Parts and Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Car Info: '06 Subaru Forester STI
Smog Time - Replacing Stock Parts and Tune?

Hey guys,

Just bought a Forester that has some after market components on it - particularly the exhaust. I have to smog it before registration - and looking to go back to stock on the down pipe and exhaust. How hard are these to change out? I don't really have a garage but could lift the car in my complex garage late at night...debating if I should just go to a shop and have the these swapped out.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 PM

Car Info: 2000 Subaru Forester
They are easy.. Just a few bolts and hangers..
Old 08-02-2016, 10:18 AM

Car Info: '05 Saab 92x Aero
I'd recommend just swapping out the downpipe, just to make things easier for ya. I've passed just fine running my 3" catback w/ a stock downpipe.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks guys - I'm debating removing my DP myself. Doesn't seem too hard, but you gotta lift the car - which I could do late at night (I park in a communal garage).

Intake seems easy enough...how about the BOV? How hard is that to swap out?

I guess my big question is - would I have to retune after putting these stock parts back (intake, bov, DP)? The smog place is < 1 mile away.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:50 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
If it was tuned for those parts, yes it may run poorly with stock parts back on without putting a stock map back on. Also, depending on the year, they will go by ECU data first vs sniffer, so what year will make a difference and you may need data logged as well (20-30 miles).
Old 08-02-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 04GG
If it was tuned for those parts, yes it may run poorly with stock parts back on without putting a stock map back on. Also, depending on the year, they will go by ECU data first vs sniffer, so what year will make a difference and you may need data logged as well (20-30 miles).

Godammitasdlkfjalsdkjfalskdjf;lkajsdfl;j.

Is this why everyone has those cobb AP systems? I never thought they were necessary as I lived in states that didn't care about this, and I never had to change my tune....

This whole process is so annoying...
Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Does a cobb AP allow you to store a protune, or whatever tune is currently active?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:07 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

AP would allow you to have multiple yes. Though their "stock" is not really your original map, it is a COBB stock map. ECUTEK can do the same if you get an STI ECU for the FXT. Mine is tuned and I just smogged it without issue, but I run stock DP. It will pass with a catback, just not DP or BOV.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 AM

AP would allow you to have multiple yes. Though their "stock" is not really your original map, it is a COBB stock map. ECUTEK can do the same if you get an STI ECU for the FXT. Mine is tuned and I just smogged it without issue, but I run stock DP. It will pass with a catback, just not DP or BOV.
Yes, I know they would allow multiple. I guess I'm asking - does COBB allow for customized tunes to be stored, like the one I have currently active on my car (it was tuned by a shop in LA)? Or does it only allow loading of cobb maps ("stock", stage 1, etc).
Old 08-02-2016, 11:15 AM

All the more reason NOT to flash a stock map I guess! We have to go through this, what - every two years? Cali is a strange state.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:21 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by Wangta
Yes, I know they would allow multiple. I guess I'm asking - does COBB allow for customized tunes to be stored, like the one I have currently active on my car (it was tuned by a shop in LA)? Or does it only allow loading of cobb maps ("stock", stage 1, etc).
Not sure, but probably only if it was done with an AP would be my guess.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:25 PM

Not sure, but probably only if it was done with an AP would be my guess.
Thanks man - appreciate your guidance on this. And sorry for all the questions - I promise I'll only ask once every two years!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:22 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I passed with a downpipe, as long as you have the stock heat shield most the techs have no clue what they are looking for.

Also as I have said before, the only thing you have to pass is visual, so long as you are not throwing any codes. The ECU check only looks for codes, not at any kind of "map" or any sensors turned off in the map.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:17 PM

I have a Fujitsubo Super Legalis R Catback (which connects directly to a JDM SYMS 3" Catted high flow DP). Will the stock DP connect with this, or do I have to swap in the entire exhaust system?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Do not flash your ecu unless you want to drive around enough for all the monitors to check. Just swap the DP, is you have a vent to atmostphere BOV put on a stock (if you have an aftermarket full recirc BPV it should be fine (i pass every time with my Turbosmart Kompact), if your intake isnt carb legal put on a stock to avoid being told its not legal. Be chill when you drive the car to smog shop staying out of boost. Let them do their thing, go home and put the DP,and intake back on. I just had to do this last weekend. I have plenty of mods (turbo/injectors/intake/header) and a pro tune. All dude cared about was is my intake carb legal, any codes tripped and do i have two cats on the DP.

Quick Reply: Smog Time - Replacing Stock Parts and Tune?