i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   SFPD to start cracking down on loud bikes (finally) (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/sfpd-start-cracking-down-loud-bikes-finally-204842/)

slugrx 05-30-2009 06:02 PM

SFPD to start cracking down on loud bikes (finally)

[url]http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=6840340&rss=rss-kgo-article-6840340[/url]

[QUOTE] Police will start cracking down on riders whose bikes do not sound like average motorcycles without muffler modifications. First, the motorcyclist will be issued a fix-it ticket, to change their bike back to the way it used to sound. If the owner does not comply another fine could be added.

When asked how officers will be able to gauge which bikes are modified they simply said they will know when they feel it.

"When it starts to rattle the fillings out of your teeth, you know the bike is too loud," said Sgt. Swendsen.

The enforcement will last through the summer. Based on residents and business owner responses, the ban could spread to other parts of the city. [/QUOTE]

no wonder they never get pulled over, cops are just starting to ticket them now (and only in two districts in the city)

brucelee 05-30-2009 06:09 PM

w00t! Thank you SFPD! It's about time!

ruehl 05-30-2009 06:36 PM

Would be interesting if this means Harleys or street bikes. Something tells me it will be street bikes. I think it will end up the same as what CHP does to imports and not to mustangs and etc.

Lurk 05-30-2009 06:39 PM

Loud pipes save lives.

This is just another convenient excuse for the city to generate more revenue.

Spoolin415 05-30-2009 06:42 PM

This has nothing to do with "loud pipes...".

This is b&t weekend warrior trash coming into the city to make noise and draw attention to themselves. I'm glad they got some attention.

tamko 05-30-2009 06:56 PM

they should do that on the american muscle car too...

those mustang, carmero, corvette(don't mind how I spell, I will never spell rite on those car)...

alan'09

VRT MBasile 05-30-2009 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=Lurk;2626364]Loud pipes save lives.

This is just another convenient excuse for the city to generate more revenue.[/QUOTE]

My loud exhaust lets motorists that don't pay attention know I'm in the lane next to them, yet I don't get to use this "excuse"

Not lane splitting when traffic is moving at or above the speed limit, saves lives.
Not traveling double the speed limit, saves lives.
Not drafting the car that is in front of you, saves lives.
Not doing wheelies to show off to your buddy in the car next to you, saves lives.
Not traveling down the wrong side of the road to get ahead of some cars in a game of chicken with the cars coming towards you, saves lives.

I think the loud pipes can go. :)

Why should my hearing be put in jeopardy because these people have chosen a dangerous method of transportation?

Spoolin415 05-30-2009 07:16 PM

As a motorcycle rider, I will say loud pipes are a commuters friend.

BUT, these aren't commuters we're talking about. Lets not allow these clowns to get lumped in with real riders.

sammae01 05-30-2009 07:22 PM

I don't understand that "loud pipes saves lives" catch phrase. Truth is, if your coming up on someone that not paying attention, and they happen to hit you, or cause you to crash, the pipe isnt going to save you.

But honestly, other than physically looking at the bike, how can you tell the bike has a modified exhaust (especially on a Harley type moto) my brother's stock R1 is pretty loud. So what now, they're gonna use this to pull people over, It seems like this law is opening up a green light on all bikes to be pulled over.

Spoolin415 05-30-2009 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=sammae01;2626397]I don't understand that "loud pipes saves lives" catch phrase. Truth is, if your coming up on someone that not paying attention, and they happen to hit you, or cause you to crash, the pipe isnt going to save you.

But honestly, other than physically looking at the bike, how can you tell the bike has a modified exhaust (especially on a Harley type moto) my brother's stock R1 is pretty loud. So what now, they're gonna use this to pull people over, It seems like this law is opening up a green light on all bikes to be pulled over.[/QUOTE]

If they hear you, then they'll probably see you.

You mean to tell me you can't tell the difference between a stock R1 exhaust and a titanium Graves?

tony1w 05-30-2009 07:33 PM

loud pipes do help. But you need to ride cautiously. Dangerous method only because cars don't pay attention when they drive. It's like telling people that get hit crossing the street that they shouldn't have walked across the street. Or telling the girl she got raped because she shouldn't have been wearing a sexy dress or tight jeans.

Blame the victim, not the criminal is a no no:nono:

They should crack down on those annoying Harley's with the annoying ass radios and excessively loud pipes.. You know the ones that purposely rev up for no damn reason at 2am in the morning. Those ****ers should get popped. I agree with that.

Spoolin415 05-30-2009 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=tony1w;2626401]
They should crack down on those annoying Harley's with the annoying ass radios and excessively loud pipes.. You know the ones that purposely rev up for no damn reason at 2am in the morning. Those ****ers should get popped. I agree with that.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is their target given then enforcement area.

tony1w 05-30-2009 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=Spoolin415;2626402]I'm pretty sure this is their target given then enforcement area.[/QUOTE]

If so +1 for that. I am happy if they crack down on these a-holes. I ride sport bikes, and not much of us have crazy loud/deep pipes like the cruisers.

Plus, most of us sport bike guys are like the suby guys... V's up to the fellow sport bike guy. The cruiser guys are like the....EVO owners... mean mugs all around.

Spoolin415 05-30-2009 07:45 PM

They're generally almost middle aged douches with pot bellies that try to act hard.

F em', hope they get bent over like we do with CARB crap.

tony1w 05-30-2009 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Spoolin415;2626416]They're generally almost middle aged douches with pot bellies that try to act hard.

F em', hope they get bent over like we do with CARB crap.[/QUOTE]

agreed!

(__|__)
..:thumb: