rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:02 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Kicking around riding sunday.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:27 PM
General Pimpin'

Made it up Sunday. Was well worth it. Base is deeper than I expected. Had a lot of good snow to push around. No wind. Sun was out. Stayed cold. Killer first day on the hill.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Made it up Sunday. Was well worth it. Base is deeper than I expected. Had a lot of good snow to push around. No wind. Sun was out. Stayed cold. Killer first day on the hill.
Nice! Was The Moke running? Or just my beloved () Kuma to get to the top. Can't recall when I looked @ their ops report but it showed Kuma was cranking.

I'm targeting next Fri the 14th to stretch my legs out at Boreal w/ my homegirl. Jeff's popping his 18/19 season cherry at Heavenly the same day.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by boardoholic
Nice! Was The Moke running? Or just my beloved () Kuma to get to the top. Can't recall when I looked @ their ops report but it showed Kuma was cranking.

I'm targeting next Fri the 14th to stretch my legs out at Boreal w/ my homegirl. Jeff's popping his 18/19 season cherry at Heavenly the same day.

Nope. But had full access to the front. It's running now and the back is open. I don't think I'll get up again until maybe the first weekend of January. If it dumps I might try and figure out Tuesday with Jordan though. LOL!

Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Nope. But had full access to the front. It's running now and the back is open. I don't think I'll get up again until maybe the first weekend of January. If it dumps I might try and figure out Tuesday with Jordan though. LOL!
I ended up postponing my season kickoff due to forecasted high winds today. Luckily yesterday afternoon, my friend pinged me that her buddy told her there's a wind advisory today. I went to all my weather resources and saw up to 100mph gusts along the ridges of the western slopes of the Sierras. And lookie what The Wood just posted to their conditions twitter...
Open @ 9:00 am Forecast @ 9000': Partly Cloudy L38° H44°F S Winds 30-45 mph Gusts 90 mph - Midday Gusts 115 mph - High winds - Lifts subject to wind hold

Hell to the Nah!

So I've now got Tues in my crosshairs! Just trying to convince my homegirl & her bf to ride Bear that day. Tue should be decent, but Mon will offer the freshest of freshies. Dunno if they'll get over a foot when the precip falls from late Sun thru noon-ish on Mon. I'm really hoping to ride Bear on Tue, so it'd be rad to shred w/ you & Jordo for a couple hours!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Here's the pinpoint forecast for near the top of Tamarack at Heavenly. On the lil map on the right, I simply zoomed in after selecting "Satellite" on the dropdown menu, then clicked right at the top of the Tamarack chair (above the Gondola), which the map indicates an elev of 9193 ft.
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-119.90462207741801&lat=38.92866111553812#.XBPO8dtK hEY
TODAY
Mostly sunny, with a high near 44. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 40 to 50 mph increasing to 55 to 65 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 100 mph.
Looks like lift windhold or full-on closures to me, eh?

Yesterday, I also tried to convince Jeff to postpone. Even if he & his buddies don't get to shred today, they'll still have a blast kickin' it up w/ his homies in South Lake!

Last edited by boardoholic; 12-14-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Got kicked off Heavenly before even taking a run because of the winds (on 12/14). With the holidays and current schedule in consideration, I think I wanna try n hit Bear or Kwood on the 30th.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Damn, bruddah! From your text the other day, I thought y'all were at least able to hit the lower sections of the resort. That sucks, man.

On Tue, I ended up carpooling up from The Bay with my friend & her bf. But I rode the mountain with Jordan. So stoked he's back in Nor Cal! The coverage is stellar!!! Only spots that gave me some concern about thinnish cover were the off-piste areas by cliffs and boulder hucks. Although my phone died at 3:00, click this Trace Snow link for the full deets of the day's stats:

Hit me up after Xmas. I'm looking to ride again a few days before AND after the 30th, but I'm down to adjust, esp. pending weather conditions.

Is your pass blacked out during the holidays? Imma look more at which decent resort has the best deal on tix during the typical holiday blackout period. The winn4r hands-down thus far is Homewood with a $64 Unrestricted Adult lift ticket: https://shop.sportsbasement.com/prod...nt=43455203792
This is massive savings (compared to their $109 window price)! Plus, it's a rad resort. I call it the Bear Valley of Tahoe... with its acreage and terrain, Ma & Pop feel and locals vibe.

Last edited by boardoholic; 12-20-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added walkup price of tix
Old 01-21-2019, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Worst day ever at Sierra yesterday 20Jan2019. Spent the night in Tahoe at Holiday rates ($$$$). Got to Sierra at 7:45am. Got geared up and was at the lift at 8:30am. All of a sudden Sierra staff stars waving people off. Lightning was seen at the top and all lifts stopped working. So pissed.

Went inside to get away from the wet snow. Beer me at 9am. Finally they opened the lifts around 9:30am. Got in line with 500 people now. Even more pissed.

Rode down to West Bowl. It was RAINING at the bottom. Ducked in for another beer to get dry. After 15 minutes, staff says they are closing West Bowl because of winds and snow at the top. Fuming.

Get to the top of West Bowl. Minor conditions. SMMFH.

Get down to the main lodge. Only lift now that's running was the bunny slope. Red in the face furious.

Went to the car for lunch. Many more beers and food. Called it and left. And they closed the entire place down.

I've seen hurricane force winds at Kirkwood and they still stayed open. Sierra = Kitty Kat Bad Word. Not likely to go back there again. This is the second time they did this isht when a little storm rolled through.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Damn! That's rough, bruddah. You're mos def gonna hate my account of Mon at Bear Valley then.

Luckily, the snow level lowered to at least 4000ft by Sun evening. So all that mixed precip that was falling during the day at the resorts on Sun was covered by more than a foot of fresh pow that dropped Sun nite thru VERY early Mon morning.

Jordan (OneManAmy's li'l bro) got us got us to Koala Korner a bit after 8:30. Geared up, got tix, and took our 1st run by 9:15. Nothing but "Smiles across the miles!" for the next 2 hours hunting for fresh tracks on a couple frontside runs followed by backside runs.

The only hiccup was when we got stuck on Polar Express (backside chair) for about 35min due to mechanical issues. But once it got running again, the staff was waiting at the top with vouchers for a FREE lift ticket and non-alcoholic beverage!

Immediately, smashed a frontside run to head back to the 'burban to mow down some food & bev.

Refueled, we hunt for more fresh tracks and hit up some of our favorite spots on the front side. I dunno the official name for this one li'l chute I found last season (after all these years riding there), but what I've dubbed "The Hallway" was dialed in! Jordan even got up and off the outcropping btwn Monte Wolfe & Yellow Sub.

We closed out the day with backside (Pooh chair only) & frontside runs in between our village runs to catch the 3:00, then 4:00 buses.

Honestly, I'm shocked that Sierra didn't hook up COMPS for y'all, too.

Two or three years ago when they had power issues in West Bowl after lunch (maybe 1:30ish), they had to run it in turtle mode to get everyone outta West Bowl. So it took some time. But at the top, we were told to get our lift tickets initialed by a Mountain/Guest Services Host so that we'd be able to return another day to get a FREE lift ticket by bringing in our ticket for that day, which coincidentally was a Friday the 13th in January. I did as instructed and eventually came back later that season for another stellar shred sesh for FREE. Plus, we still had more than 1.5 hrs to ride the rest of the mountain after West Bowl closed.

Seriously, I feel for ya, Karl. My guess is the lightning was the dealbreaker for them cuz Sierra is among the 3 spots to go on windy days. Fyi: Bear Valley reported a delayed opening on Sun due to threat of lightning strikes.

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Anyone heading up this weekend? I hear there will be a little fresh snow.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:12 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by queeg9k
Anyone heading up this weekend? I hear there will be a little fresh snow.
I'm in South Lake now, bruddah. And cuz I plan to head home in an hr, I just checked on my car and she's got a couple inches of fresh on her. And it's still snowing lightly.

I rode yesterday afternoon at Squaw. The snow down at the base area was wet & heavy. But the upper mountain was stellar!

Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Anybody headed up to Squaw or Heavenly this Saturday? I want some of this May pow....
Old 05-19-2019, 10:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I wanted to go up but I been sick all weekend :/
Old 02-27-2020, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Anybody headed up to Tahoe this Sunday March 1? I have Ikon but don't mind going to a diff resort for a change of scenery.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.