rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 AM

p.s. sick rome

i love alpine, i just wish more of my friends did, i'd get a pass there.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:26 AM

and just to help squash the great p0w debate, here's some nice pictures. (i hope they come up)

and i know you are some weird azn lovers (ew)

Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 AM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
^^^

DAMN that is is nice AS*!!!!!!!!!!

going to tahoe on monday. just one day trip, not going to drive the suby, since i dont have it anymore, its accord or murano
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Originally Posted by Daredevil
and just to help squash the great p0w debate, here's some nice pictures. (i hope they come up)

*edit* I replaced Max's last pic w/ this piece of advice:
go to IHOP or SRiC's "Teh NWS Wimmenz" thread for similar eye candy
*edit*
Max, you certainly know how to close, bro! Mad props! And much mahalos!

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-17-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Sorry, Ray!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
wtf.... this is suppose to be a work safe thread. go to hawaii to post this stuff.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JRsWRX
Heres a few pics of my alpine trip last weekend.
That's the Agent, right? What model year? Btw, thanks for throwing up the pix to get us locked back in on the "love"... seems like we had a b!tch & moan party for a while there. Shamefully, I participated a bit but tried to stay constructive. *tee hee*
Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
General Pimpin'

Hey Cliff. Lets get that date rolling....

so fellow wagon trainers... you know who you are... Late Feb Early March. Lets pick a a weekend.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 07 STI
Originally Posted by boardoholic
That's the Agent, right? What model year? Btw, thanks for throwing up the pix to get us locked back in on the "love"... seems like we had a b!tch & moan party for a while there. Shamefully, I participated a bit but tried to stay constructive. *tee hee*
Yeah, it's an 07 Agent. I mostly use it in the park but it took pow pretty well compared to my 05 devun walsh.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
wtf.... this is suppose to be a work safe thread. go to hawaii to post this stuff.
Sorry 'bout that, Ray. I changed up my post above.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Hey Cliff. Lets get that date rolling....

so fellow wagon trainers... you know who you are... Late Feb Early March. Lets pick a a weekend.
Outta the PM's I sent our "regular" crew, only You, El Jefe & Justin have responded. I was gonna give li'l Jeff & Steve a holler again this wknd. So far it seems that any of those 3 wknds before Easter is gravy. So see which one is best w/ your folks.

And I see we're opening up the invite a bit. Cool, bruddah! I'll ping scarface(Eli), one of the other i-clubbers I shredded w/ a couple times. I dunno if he got his cast off his arm yet.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
VIP Member

New X-course at the Wood!

Originally Posted by kirkwood.com
Skier/Boarder Cross Course
New this season! Kirkwood will be offering a dedicated Skier/Boarder Cross Course for athlete training and general public use this season. Known as the "snow version of motocross", Skier/Boarder Cross is slated to become an Olympic Medal Event in 2010. Kirkwood joins only a handful of ski areas in the West to offer such a course. The course will be located on Chair 7, on Free n' Easy and will be open daily, conditions permitting.
The Free N' Easy trail is kinda short but if they run the "start gate" near the top of the lift, it may be pretty decent. Their small terrain park is typically built on the lower portion of this trail. So if this new course uses ONLY the same amount of terrain as their past parks, it will be an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny boarder/skier X-course.

Here's my vision for those familiar w/ this trail:
"starting gate" near top of lift
gentle roller or two
step down -or- step up jump
few berms
whoop-dee-doo's (thru flat area that they usually had the start of terrain park)
table top
step up -or- step down jump (opposite of 1st hit)
BIG victory lane booter!!! to finish

Like I said this is a short run, but I'm sure they'll have enuff for us to get a kick outta doing a few laps

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-17-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by boardoholic
Sorry 'bout that, Ray. I changed up my post above.

Outta the PM's I sent our "regular" crew, only You, El Jefe & Justin have responded. I was gonna give li'l Jeff & Steve a holler again this wknd. So far it seems that any of those 3 wknds before Easter is gravy. So see which one is best w/ your folks.

And I see we're opening up the invite a bit. Cool, bruddah! I'll ping scarface(Eli), one of the other i-clubbers I shredded w/ a couple times. I dunno if he got his cast off his arm yet.
I originally openned it up to everyone. The guys we originally got have kinda been the repeat guys.

But I would love to get lowball and a couple other folks up with us sometime. Maybe even krinkov...sheesh..haa.

It's still got to be people that I know or you trust. It is my house and what not... haaa. But hell the first go around we all pretty much just met each other and now we've been doing this what... 4 years now.

Besides... only so many beds...haa.

El Jefe' has some back issues but they're improving so I'm sure he'll be in when e make the day. (jeff we'll plan a couple's weekend and get the wife up there)

Little Jeff is always welcome.
Justin, I'm sure we can get him up there.
I talked to Steve about it over the weekend.
Me of course. My brother will do at least one day but probably 2...I'm actually thinking about doing a 3 dayer.
My buddy Jed will probably be up for it.

So we'd be looking at at least 6 as many as 9 there. Figure you've got your spot. I've got mine. Jordon's got his. 2 more beds. One more couch. Plus some floor.

I'd be comfortable with 9 or 10 so you're homies are welcome.

I talked to the family and all the weekends sounded pretty open. I'll talk to them some more. I know we're planning a family trip up. The wife and the pops are gonna go snowmobiling while jordan and I kill the pow.

so.... if anyone else is interested PM me. If I don't get back to you PM cliff.

We have a tight nit group. We all ride pretty well together. We go into some of my lesser known favorite spots so there's a hush hush promise from anyone that rides with me. I've taken less than 10 people there in my entire life.

Cliff. Anytime you're looking to ride and aren't doing tahoe give me a ring. I need a riding partner this season at bear. Jordan has and odd work schedule.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
I plan to be going up to Tahoe a couple more times this season. I went this last weekend and had a blast. I am thinking about possibly going for a day trip this weekend, but I know there are going to be crowds.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Heavenly Conditions Update(Fri, Jan 18)

Hey fellow shredheads!

Just wanted to give y'all a li'l 411 on the state of our precious slopes. I went to Heavenly for the day yesterday & came away quite surprised at the conditions. I'm sure many of y'all will bag on HV, but I had a Warren Miller voucher that was valid til yesterday. So my ticket only cost me $18 -and- eventually a bit of traversing.

Cliff notes (no pun intended):
Groomers - packed powder w/ a few icy spots or areas of thin cover
Off Piste - variable; icy & crusty; look for areas drenched in the sun
Other Tips - have fun traversing (experience there helps); bag lunch it & hope for functioning lockers; do NOT ski/ride back down along the Gondy

On w/ the show...
One of the my riding partners had a fancy-shmacy temp/altimeter thing-a-ma-bob, so lake level temps to start the morning were a comfy 42 degrees. After a quick ride up the Gondola, we found that it was a balmy 38. The sun was out all day, not a single cloud in the sky.

As we walked to the Tamarack sixer for first run, I hear the familiar squish/crunch of a dusting of fresh snow. Though I knew this stuff was man-made, my expectations perked up a bit. On our first run down to the upper Nevada lifts(Comet & Dipper), we found that the groomers were in awesome shape. I was expecting icy concrete, but it was definitely what I'd call packed powder... a notch or two on the firmer side. We did a few more runs along these lifts & checked conditions off-piste before moving on to lower Nevada. Really firm & crusty in the trees and whatnot.

The traverse along lower Dipper... what can I say... it is what it is. We found the upper part of the Galaxy Glades to have a teeny bit of crust on top of 'wet & slushy.' The Stagecoach run was way more firm & even icy concrete in some spots (watch for thin coverage, too), so onto Olympic & North Bowl. Easy here... fun & fast! Then a couple more runs in upper Nevada before lunch.

Here's my only big gripe o' the day. Our stuff (grub, extra layers, etc) was stowed in lockers @ the top of the Gondy. When seeing that the electronic-lock system is borked, I am told that the contents of all the lockers were emptied & brought down to the bottom... literally some 3000 feet below. WTF ?!? Li'l more on this later. When I walked back down to the group, one of the fellers in our snow foursome didn't realize that me & the others brought food to share so he bought himself a yummy lookin' polish dog & a Gatorade. He annihilated his $16 lunch in 8 seconds flat. I asked how his cornhole was after the **** rapeage at the register. The rest o' us hunkered down on more on-person Clif bars/granola bars & high quality H2O fr: our Camelbaks. We took a few quick pix & headed off for more turns in Cali.

Just as I got tired of the traverse to upper Cali, a li'l open bowl bathed in sun caught my eye. Lots of fun, quick turns on almost spring-like corn. The line for Sky was way more packed than Canyon's, so we decided to catch Ridge run & the eventual Powderbowl run. On the ride on Canyon Express, we noticed that the High Roller park was closed for rebuild & that they were making snow. A temp. check gave a reading of 28. The jumps in the Powderbowl park were closed (super icy... all in the shade by the time we got there), but the jibs were open game. I wanted to check out the li'l park on Groove. The lower portion was also in the shade at this time, but it was still fun to hit up for a few laps (for my age & for early season).

Time to check on the line for Sky. Fr: the chair we could see that upper Elie's had really thin cover, so we used Elie's Swing to hit up its lower part. More 'fast & fun' sliding, but again some thin spots so, be careful. Wow! 3:45 already?!? Little did we know just how long it would take to get back to the top of the Gondy. Obviously, we are NOT Heavenly regulars. In case you're a Heavenly n00b, like us, Skyline traverse (yes, another one & the worst, imho) does not take you directly toward the top of the Gondy. You can only return there via the Comet or Dipper lifts.

Now, what about our locker contents? In a minute. We made the Gondy return trip w/ an East Peak cook & he shared a couple great tip n' tidbits w/ us. The most important one being: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SKI/RIDE BACK DOWN TO THE BOTTOM ALONG THE GONDOLA, ESP. AS YOUR "LAST RUN." We saw a few boarders attempting this at around 4:45. The sun was about to set & they had a LONG way to go. And our last temp. check on our last ride up Comet for the top of the Gondy return was 22 degrees. Brrrrr. Let's also hope that all the bears are hibernating this winter.

Our locker stuff was in an office and, luckily, I wasn't as heated as earlier. Lots of fun in the sun can do that to you. We didn't get reimbursed on the spot, so I had to fill out a refund form. We'll see how that turns out. I'll probably email Heavenly a li'l something.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be thorough and share valuable info to help y'all decide "if the juice is worth the squeeze" this holiday weekend.

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-19-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
sick, once you know all the flat spots at heavenly, like going from each state, you can fly past walkers and never have to unmount.

i'm going to Squaw or Kirkwood tomorrow. My GF hates Kirkwood because of 88 so i have to check the road conditions so she cant say i told you so.

But both have 120" while others are 1/2 that
Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
So what's the deal with "Subabrew Snowshoe duex x duex"? Date set yet? I might try to make it to WRC Mexico. Krinkov is planning 2/28-3/3.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.