i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   redlining (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/redlining-6243/)

KnightRider 01-15-2003 07:43 PM

redlining

how bad is it for the car to redline. in the 8 months that ive had my car ive done it twice, how bad is it actually?

Steppin Razor 01-15-2003 07:50 PM

not all that bad as long as your car is tuned correctly. there is a rev limiter to help prevent revs from getting too high and floating valves and whatnot. of course, try to stay away from redline because there is no useable power there (and because it's not great for your motor). bottom line is that you're probably not going to kill anything, but there is no reason to be doing it in the first place.

KnightRider 01-15-2003 07:53 PM

very true, ill save my stupidity for on the track from here on out. thanks for the info

suby_dude 01-15-2003 08:47 PM

i don't know if you heard of the acura integra who sat on redline for like 5 sec (maybe less)...

he left parts of his engine on the tarmac.

i hit the redzone almost everyday...

Zoeb2s 01-15-2003 09:04 PM

redlining is cool..EVERYONE DOES IT! ;)

KnightRider 01-15-2003 09:15 PM

its cool huh, must be the new trend, well im in if thats that, im now saving my stupidity for the driveway.

Wingless Wonder 01-16-2003 04:17 AM

Re: redlining

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KnightRider [/i]
[B]how bad is it for the car to redline. in the 8 months that ive had my car ive done it twice, how bad is it actually? [/B][/QUOTE]Unless you held it up there for a few seconds, probably no harm done. Just try not to make a habit of it. The EJ20 is a short-stroke motor, but these things are built to factory tolerances and not blueprinted. Engine stress goes up exponentially with RPM.

NeVzWRX 01-16-2003 10:48 AM

you see the trick is you get REALLY REALLY high and you watch the needle bounce off the redline.

HAHAHA

oh yeah make sure you hot box the car. its better with the smoke effects. :D

Hollandaze 01-16-2003 03:11 PM

I drive like a grandma, so I've never redlined because I'm afraid to. :D

ldivinag 01-16-2003 04:58 PM

what about the thing i heard to redline it once a day to clear out the deposits and stuff inside the engine...

Buddha 01-16-2003 05:01 PM

hmm, thats interesting. Makes me feel better ;)

Steppin Razor 01-16-2003 05:03 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ldivinag [/i]
[B]what about the thing i heard to redline it once a day to clear out the deposits and stuff inside the engine... [/B][/QUOTE]

dude why don't you just use chevron with techron? and then buy the bottle of techron that the guy tries to sell you? ;)

wackie 01-16-2003 06:08 PM

Short stints at the redline happen and aren't really a big deal. When your car sits at redline for 5-10 seconds as mine did you end up posting threads like "Need a source for an EJ20." ;)

JD

Steppin Razor 01-16-2003 07:03 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wackie [/i]
[B]Short stints at the redline happen and aren't really a big deal. When your car sits at redline for 5-10 seconds as mine did you end up posting threads like "Need a source for an EJ20." ;)

JD [/B][/QUOTE]

Whoa, how the hell did you manage to do that? Seriously.

wackie 01-16-2003 07:35 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Steppin Razor [/i]
[B]Whoa, how the hell did you manage to do that? Seriously. [/B][/QUOTE]

Cruise control throttle cable stuck under acceleration while it was pouring down rain. I didn't really want to turn off the car so i just clutched in and slowed down 'till I thought it was safe to lose my power steering and brakes. :(