i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   PS Pump SNAFU (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/ps-pump-snafu-255205/)

Lowend 10-30-2013 04:23 PM

PS Pump SNAFU

The Power steering pump on my STi is DONE... frankly it's been done for awhile.
the good folks at Garage One have now ordered three different rebuilt pumps and all three of them have had spilt cases. To Garage One's credit, they have been checking before putting the pumps on, so this hasn't been a huge issue.

Apparently there is only one shop in the whole country that actually rebuilds Subaru PS pumps, and they [I]suck [/I]. That shop has no more production on the factory floor (probably because they screw up the rebuilds and split the cases).
I called Straight Line Steering in San Jose about rebuilding mine and they won't touch Subaru PS units.

Had to bite the bullet and spent $499 on a dealership pump :(

WTF makes these things so hard to deal with

SilverBlitzkrieg 10-30-2013 04:44 PM

Dayum, that blows.

Overbear 10-30-2013 04:53 PM

You are saying that NAPA/kragens/etc couldn't find you one?

NAPA auto parts, reman STI PS pump without tank, 141.90

Lowend 10-30-2013 06:29 PM

I've been through all of the ones in stock in the San Jose area. All cracked

Overbear 10-30-2013 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=Lowend;3460466]I've been through all of the ones in stock in the San Jose area. All cracked[/QUOTE]

I did a quick check, looks like the 4 napa up here in san leandro have one, perhaps they can ship them store to store?

stupidchicken03 10-30-2013 07:36 PM

within the first 6 months of getting my wrx, my PSP went out. Called the local Subaru Specific Pick-n-pull and they had used ones for $160ish (at the time).

Threw it on and its been fine ever since. Its a bit of a gamble, but I didnt have $400+ to spend new at the time.

04GG 10-31-2013 08:36 AM

Stick with the OEM one. Went through the same thing when mine went on my WRX because the dealer said they don't rebuild them and don't give you a core credit because they don't.

Mine was one step better, so I'll advise you to check them for leaks at the same time, I installed that pump and about 6 months later my PS lines started to leak...those aren't cheap either and I got to pay for almost the same labor twice. Bonus.

subysteez 10-31-2013 08:40 AM

[QUOTE="Overbear;3460450"]You are saying that NAPA/kragens/etc couldn't find you one?

NAPA auto parts, reman STI PS pump without tank, 141.90[/QUOTE]

I've almost never gotten the right parts from those guys. They don't know ****. Might get lucky though, who knows.

04GG 10-31-2013 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=subysteez;3460589]I've almost never gotten the right parts from those guys. They don't know ****. Might get lucky though, who knows.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, me too. I only buy stuff that is on the shelf from them, because they can't really get that wrong.

Lowend 10-31-2013 08:57 AM

I'm just doing the OEM one.. looking around, I see a lot of bad stuff about the rebuilt Subaru PS pumps in general.
It's worth $200 for me not to drive to San Leandro this morning, and to not have to worry about getting another bad part

Overbear 10-31-2013 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=Lowend;3460598]I'm just doing the OEM one.. looking around, I see a lot of bad stuff about the rebuilt Subaru PS pumps in general.
It's worth $200 for me not to drive to San Leandro this morning, and to not have to worry about getting another bad part[/QUOTE]

Totally understand dude, just wanted to give you some options.

sigma pi 10-31-2013 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=subysteez;3460589]I've almost never gotten the right parts from those guys. They don't know ****. Might get lucky though, who knows.[/QUOTE]
Me too, and when its the right part (finally) it is complete crap.

Harry Maneuvers 10-31-2013 10:21 AM

There are two subaru specific dismantlers here in Sac and both offer used PS pumps with warranties.

Parts n Wrecks I believe offers a 3 year parts and labor warranty for a few bucks extra... If the unit fails, they give you another used one and pay the shop of your choice $65/ hour to install.

subysteez 10-31-2013 10:32 AM

[QUOTE="Harry Maneuvers;3460620"]There are two subaru specific dismantlers here in Sac and both offer used PS pumps with warranties.

Parts n Wrecks I believe offers a 3 year parts and labor warranty for a few bucks extra... If the unit fails, they give you another used one and pay the shop of your choice $65/ hour to install.[/QUOTE]

I think It's funny they credit you 65/hour.... otherwise known as what labor costed ten years ago.

strider327 10-31-2013 11:21 AM

What were the part numbers for the Power Steering Pump and related things?