Sad but true, people don't pay attention anymore

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Sad but true, people don't pay attention anymore

Just yesterday the woman and I were having a discussion about how wrapped up in all their tech people are that they are literally oblivious to things going on around them and then this story hit:

The man drew the gun several times on the crowded San Francisco commuter train, with surveillance video showing him pointing it across the aisle without anyone noticing and then putting it back against his side, according to authorities.

The other passengers were so absorbed in their phones and tablets they didn't notice the gunman until he randomly shot and killed a university student, authorities said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/09...illing-police/
Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
That is why I want to be able to carry concealed.

See someone doing that and you can bet Im gonna draw down and pull the trigger if he doesnt comply.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Wow.

You'll like this one too, Louie CK ranting about cell phones on Conan, I couldn't agree more.

I too, want to carry concealed legally....remember the Oregon mall shooter? He was stopped by a citizen carrying concealed... He shot 3 people then a guy pulled on him telling him to put his weapon down (he didn't shoot because of background), then the gunman turned the weapon on himself. Just imagine how many more would have been shot. Funny how the liberal media didn't even mention how he was stopped. The 3 he shot were completely random. It's 'gun' violence... nothing else, right? Has nothing to do with simply 'violence' in general. What about knife violence? More people are killed every year with bare hands than guns... stop 'fist' violence? Let's just blame the tool and not take any responsibility/accountability. Chicago? They have some of the most lax gun crime punishments (progressive liberal city)...go figure. There's now more guards, preventing people from visiting our national monuments than were at the damn benghazi embassy, go figure.

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 10-09-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:53 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

The media rarely talks about things that go against the current "directed" views of things. If someone had shot and killed this nutbag on the train, that story would not have been in the news I have no doubt.

Our discussion came about because we were at a restaurant and a guy pulled up with his headphones in and I mentioned to her that I saw some fool on the freeway in a Jeep with no doors and BEATS by Dre on his head. Seriously stupid people out there.

Last edited by 04GG; 10-09-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
The other day someone jaywalked right in front of me staring at their phone. I SLAMMED on the brakes coming to a screeching halt. Dude looked up at me like I am some kind of *******. He steeped out from behind a tall SUV right into the street. Took some self control not to get out of my car and show him the err of his ways.

I am guilty of spending too much time on my phone in public but I trying to get better about it.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by 04GG
Just yesterday the woman and I were having a discussion about how wrapped up in all their tech people are that they are literally oblivious to things going on around them and then this story hit:

San Francisco rail commuters on phones didn't notice gun before killing, police say | Fox News
What do you normally do on a crowded commuter train? There is only so much people watching you can do. I always go for my phone on a train.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
The media rarely talks about things that go against the current "directed" views of things. If someone had shot and killed this nutbag on the train, that story would not have been in the news I have no doubt.

Our discussion came about because we were at a restaurant and a guy pulled up with his headphones in and I mentioned to her that I saw some fool on the freeway in a Jeep with no doors and BEATS by Dre on his head. Seriously stupid people out there.
The media talked about it... but forgot to mention how the gunman was stopped so quickly after only shooting 3 people at random.

Ohh, I saw a family out to dinner last weekend, both kids sitting there on their cell phones the ENTIRE time. No way that'd fly in my family that's for sure.

I personally think it's more than the people, it's our society, culture, our accepted ways of life/behavior that eventually becomes norm. Sad indeed. When people die, they want to be buried in a gucci store now.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by flat489
What do you normally do on a crowded commuter train? There is only so much people watching you can do. I always go for my phone on a train.
I don't ride the train. Buddy of mine rode ACE every day from the South Bay to SF every weekday though. Sorry, but no matter what I am doing, I still take the time to look around every once in a while when I am in a public place. I like to know what is going on around me and I've always been that way, not just since society became the way it is.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 2012 PBP STI
Sorry, but no matter what I am doing, I still take the time to look around every once in a while when I am in a public place. I like to know what is going on around me and I've always been that way, not just since society became the way it is.
+1 to this
Old 10-09-2013, 05:10 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Who else here's old enough to remember most of us being taught the following two words growing up...

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS.

It's definitely becoming a lost art. It's not like things have changed that dramatically in the last 30+ years as far as the threat of things like this. People have though, whether it's us being blind to it all or just chosen ignorance I don't know anymore. It's like me having had to explain recently why I knew something was going on. I saw red flags, yet so many others ignore it like it'll fix itself or there's nothing wrong with complacency.

People forget to pass things along to the younger generation. Me, I grew up having to duck and cover for more than one reason. Heck, I remember watching missiles come out of the hills in Pacifica and locally.

Last edited by TheFozz; 10-09-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
*Fer crying out loud, I sound like a middle-aged republican now.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I go to sleep.

I road BART for 7 years. I've seen just about everything happen on a bart train or in the station. I generally mind my own business because I don't like drunks and morons talking to me. So I read or I sleep. But I tell you this... when awake.... I've never been so out of it that I wouldn't notice someone waving anything around let alone a gun.

I noticed people selling drugs on the sly, hooking up, picked up on fights before they were fights, etc. If you're that unaware of your surroundings you're a danger to yourself and everyone else around you.

But we live in a society that is only aware of themselves. If you don't care about people around you, you don't notice this stuff. Why... because you don't care what's being waved around. You don't care that someone else could be in danger, that someone could be having a seizure or need help, etc. You don't care. You don't notice.

It's the same reason people change lanes with no blinkers and without looking in their mirrors. They don't care.

They walk in front of you because they don't care. It's your job to look out for them. If you don't, its your fault.

I was in a room the other day. Lady comes in in a wheel chair. Tells the people... I'm going to have a seizure can you get me to a bed to lie down until I can be seen. Lady says essentially yeah whatever and goes about her business. Few minutes later the lady gets up and asks again then has to move away from the TV. Few minutes later she has a damned seizure right next to me. The medical staff did NOTHING. The lady's mom is asking for help and they did NOTHING. Why? Because someone else will do it. You want to know who got up out of a room full of people. Me and ONE other dude. That's it. ONE other guy. And I'll admit... he got up first. I had turned around to see what was going on and he was already up.

This crap happens all the time. You want to see how much people care... go sit in a coffee shop... fall out of your chair and pretend to be passed out. See how many people in that coffee shop give a ****. My guess... one.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by frost0fractal
+1 to this
Word. I don't want to be the guy shot in the back of the head. I've been jumped before. It sucks. Always be aware of what's going on around you. You should be able to do that while your'e talking, driving or texting. it's not that hard.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by queeg9k
The other day someone jaywalked right in front of me staring at their phone. I SLAMMED on the brakes coming to a screeching halt. Dude looked up at me like I am some kind of *******. He steeped out from behind a tall SUV right into the street. Took some self control not to get out of my car and show him the err of his ways.

I am guilty of spending too much time on my phone in public but I trying to get better about it.
Same exact happened to me yesterday, and actually happens a lot around my work. Dude strolling across the street in a corner no less, engrossed in the phone. Finally notices the car that didn't run him down, glares as he slowly walks the rest of the way across the street. Really strange.

I have traveled a lot for work, and have ridden public transportation in Chicago, England and NYC (and of course SF) this year. I flat out cannot imagine holding my phone in my hand let alone staring at it during a trip on a metro. Usually when I fly into Chicago, I ride the blue line into town from O'Hare and it's always around midnight, and walk a few blocks to a hotel. Not the most fun. In Manhattan, I am usually in nicer areas around 5th and 23rd, Flatiron area, but occasionally I end up in shadier areas on the way back from somewhere. Couldn't imagine standing there holding my phone!

I have been taking taxis into Manhattan recently, but still - damn. I know I am "old" and all that, but it blows me away how many times I see people completely zoned out engrossed in their phones. Sometimes I stop to use my phone, or look something up, and in those cases, my back is up against a building, and I am only glancing at my phone.

I've seen groups of kids walking down the road, all staring at their hands. It's really weird, who knows, maybe they are texting each-other. I saw some pic someone posted a while back of "slumber parties over the years" and it was like pillowfights and such through the 80's and 90's into today, with a room full of teens sitting there staring at their phones. Zombies.

Quick Reply: Sad but true, people don't pay attention anymore