i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   The Official: All Things Phone Thread (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/official-all-things-phone-thread-238848/)

iLoqin 02-12-2012 12:18 PM

Went to Valley Fair. The big time apple store, with workers in blue, and a windows store that opened up in red, across from apple.

Apple's products still shine when comparing computers devices. Although the asus @999 is supposedly comparable to a macbook air. Not quite.

As for phones... I kept speaking to my friend about picking up a droid or windows, and he keeps talking me out of it, just all the wrong things in a phone. But droids are widely popular and growing fast. I'm going to sit and wait to see, and hope that at&t comes out with more 4GLTE phones... or else maybe by summer I'll be ready to switch to Verizon, since it has such a wide band of 4GLTE phones, and you aren't going to be capped on data as bad.

As for the unlimited plans, I'm being more enticed to think about tethering my computer with the speeds that I see to mobile phones compared to just paying for home internet. Pretty amazing to see those speeds much faster, but of course depends on location. And also depends on getting capped if you somehow hit the top 5%.

But chicken sure demonstrated that he can do a lot of data without getting capped. =0

stupidchicken03 02-12-2012 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;3203759]Went to Valley Fair. The big time apple store, with workers in blue, and a windows store that opened up in red, across from apple.

Apple's products still shine when comparing computers devices. Although the asus @999 is supposedly comparable to a macbook air. Not quite.

As for phones... I kept speaking to my friend about picking up a droid or windows, and he keeps talking me out of it, just all the wrong things in a phone. But droids are widely popular and growing fast. I'm going to sit and wait to see, and hope that at&t comes out with more 4GLTE phones... or else maybe by summer I'll be ready to switch to Verizon, since it has such a wide band of 4GLTE phones, and you aren't going to be capped on data as bad.

As for the unlimited plans, I'm being more enticed to think about tethering my computer with the speeds that I see to mobile phones compared to just paying for home internet. Pretty amazing to see those speeds much faster, but of course depends on location. And also depends on getting capped if you somehow hit the top 5%.

But chicken sure demonstrated that he can do a lot of data without getting capped. =0[/QUOTE]
If you switch the Vz, you wont get unlimited data (at least not right off the bat).

If you're going to tether for home internet you're supposed to pay an additional $29.99 (which is prolly cheaper than what most are currently paying for home internet). After you add the hotspot to you're plan, you can tell/ask them to bump it to unlimited data. Im not 100% sure thats still working, but as of last month or so, people were still doing that.

$hane 02-13-2012 08:16 AM

Article on ATT throttling data

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/t-customers-surprised-unlimited-data-limit-080906861.html]AT&T customers surprised by 'unlimited data' limit - Yahoo! News[/url]

rupees88 02-13-2012 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=stupidchicken03;3202533]this is the list of bloatware that i froze to save some battery/memory

Amazon Kindle 2.0.5.103970165
Books 1.5.2
CarDock 1.0
Device Setup 1.0
Email 2.3.5
Email Accounts 0.9
Email Authenticator 2.3.5
FixedEmail Authenticator 2.3.5
Flickr Authenticator 2.3.5
Guided Tours 2.3.5
Help Center 2.3.5
Home screen tips 1.0
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.5
InPocket 2.3.5
LastFM Authenticator 2.3.5
Linkedin Authenticator 2.3.5
Messaging 2.3.5
MOTOPRINT 2.0.0.93
MotoSignatureApp 1.0
My Music 2.3.5
News 2.3.5
Orkut Authenticator 2.3.5
Photobucket Authenticator 2.3.5
Picasa Authenticator 2.3.5
Skyrock Authenticator 2.3.5
Slacker 3.0.546
Social Location 6.01
Social Messaging 2.3.5
Social Messaging Service 2.3.5
Social Networking 2.3.5
Social Sharing 2.3.5
Social Status 2.3.5
Twitter Authenticator 2.3.5
Universal Inbox 2.3.5
Universal Inbox 2.3.5
V CAST Tones 4.5.13
Verizon Location Agent 2.0.0.82
Verizon Video 6.1.34
Video Editor Lite 3.2.0.5
VideoSurf 2.0.0
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.421
Work Contacts 2.3.5

Had some others frozen (yahoo stuff) but it was force closing my contacts. So i unfroze them all and will have to narrow down what one causes the issue.

EDIT:
removed an app from the list due to causing SMS issues. :)

EDIT2: Unfroze a few more. Got home last night and my HDMI mirroring to my tv wasnt working. After some reading and process of elimination, got it working again :)
(list updated)[/QUOTE]

Is this all on a stock ROM?

stupidchicken03 02-13-2012 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=$hane;3204083]Article on ATT throttling data

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/t-customers-surprised-unlimited-data-limit-080906861.html]AT&T customers surprised by 'unlimited data' limit - Yahoo! News[/url][/QUOTE]
thats so much bull****. I would seriously ****ing flip out if i was with ATT
[QUOTE=rupees88;3204111]Is this all on a stock ROM?[/QUOTE]

Yup stock ROM. I got an update to 2.3.6 on Sat.

To install the update you have to unfreez everything. So ive got a bootstrap recovery of stock 2.3.5 and another for frozen 2.3.5.

Now ive got a recovery for stock 2.3.6 and ill be freezing again and creating another recovery.

Jodice112 02-13-2012 03:04 PM

What's the best Android forum to find tutorials to do these kind of things?

dSpec 02-13-2012 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=Jodice112;3204349]What's the best Android forum to find tutorials to do these kind of things?[/QUOTE]

[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/]Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers[/url]

stupidchicken03 02-13-2012 07:48 PM

Yea XDA is the #1 to go to.. then also depending on the specific phone your looking for.. some have more dedicated sites, generally you will get linked to them thru threads on XDA tho

stupidchicken03 02-13-2012 07:53 PM

oh and I kinda F'd my phone today :ohwell:

So late last week i installed bootstrap and created a backup.
Sat an OTA was released and i upgraded from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and created another backup.

I wanted to test them out so i flashed my first backup back down to 2.3.5 with no problem. Then flashed back to 2.3.6 without a problem either.

Today while at work, i decided to freeze all the bloatware on the new upgrade. I froze THE EXACT SAME LIST of items as I did before. Reboot the phone for things to finalize, and I get stuck in boot loop :(

Finally make it into recovery mode and do a factory reset.
Reroot the phone, install bootstrap and boot into CWR.
Flash failed :(
Try my other backup and again, flash failed :(

So looks like im going to have to set up everything all over again... twice within the last week in a half :ohwell:

rupees88 02-14-2012 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=stupidchicken03;3204496]oh and I kinda F'd my phone today :ohwell:

So late last week i installed bootstrap and created a backup.
Sat an OTA was released and i upgraded from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and created another backup.

I wanted to test them out so i flashed my first backup back down to 2.3.5 with no problem. Then flashed back to 2.3.6 without a problem either.

Today while at work, i decided to freeze all the bloatware on the new upgrade. I froze THE EXACT SAME LIST of items as I did before. Reboot the phone for things to finalize, and I get stuck in boot loop :(

Finally make it into recovery mode and do a factory reset.
Reroot the phone, install bootstrap and boot into CWR.
Flash failed :(
Try my other backup and again, flash failed :(

So looks like im going to have to set up everything all over again... twice within the last week in a half :ohwell:[/QUOTE]

That blows. Aren't there any custom debloated roms out there? I would think that the RAZR has a pretty decent following by now.

stupidchicken03 02-14-2012 12:08 PM

Ive been reading up on it. Seems like it might have been user error on my part :o

Im sure there are bloatfree ROMs, but I dont care enough haha. If I ever wanted to update from another OTA, Id have to install the stock ROM anyways. Never been too excited about playing with ROMs, just seems like more could go wrong.

Phone is back up and running and starting fresh with a new backup. Took a couple extra steps of clearing all the app data from BS this time around.

Jodice112 02-19-2012 10:35 PM

I was so close to getting a Galaxy Note today until at the last minute when the lady told me I still have another 10 days to upgrade. She wouldn't budge on it either.

Might just drive to San Jose to pick it up then.

rau 02-19-2012 11:17 PM

[QUOTE=Jodice112;3207037]I was so close to getting a Galaxy Note today until at the last minute when the lady told me I still have another 10 days to upgrade. She wouldn't budge on it either.

Might just drive to San Jose to pick it up then.[/QUOTE]

10 whole days?! I did an upgrade today that was 30 days out!

Jodice112 02-19-2012 11:37 PM

Yeah and then she was like, "Well if you get U-Verse maybe we could get you the upgrade today."

I just said no thanks and walked away.

Phone looked amazing in person though, I can't wait to mess around with it.

rau 02-19-2012 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=Jodice112;3207060]Yeah and then she was like, [B]"Well if you get U-Verse maybe we could get you the upgrade today."[/B]

I just said no thanks and walked away.

Phone looked amazing in person though, I can't wait to mess around with it.[/QUOTE]

And that's what is ****ing wrong with salespeople. "What am I getting out of it" mentality needs to ****ing go. She had all the power in the world to do it now regardless if you bought something or not.