Official: 49ers 2015/2016 Season

Old 10-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Gabbert's more of an Alex Smith type of QB. He'll make the safe dink and dunk pass 85% of the time. He won't win you any games with the defense the way it is.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Too early and too much over reaction. We play 3 of the top 5 teams in the NFL in our first 4 games. Alex was getting his **** pushed in by Rodgers as well but they had a nice little comeback.

Kap regressed last game for sure but I'm convinced he was still drunk from the night before. He went full potato on 2 of those ints. Playcalling was terrible and needs to abandon the run up the middle. Also if we're going to call 2 runs followed by the pass 90% of the game, we're going to get stopped every single drive. Too predictable.

Defensively we need to employ a blitz heavy package. There is zero pass rush and throwing the safeties and LBs in coverage hasn't done jack ****. We still get beat over the top and in the middle of the field. Need to stop with this zone stuff and let corners play man with the safeties blitzing. Any vet QB with tear this defense apart if he's allowed to sit back there unmolested.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 10-01-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Any vet QB with tear this defense apart if he's allowed to sit back there unmolested.
Hello Aaron Rogers!

-Brian
Old 10-01-2015, 05:07 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Over reaction? Kaepernick has been Kaepernick the same ol the whole time. He's late on gettin the ball out. He is terrible at timing routes.

When was the last time he let go of the ball before a receiver broke his route?

Terrible play call? The receivers were open on the first 3 ints. Ball out on time, it's 10+ yard completions. He was late on the first 2, the 3rd int was this "touch" that was so fugly and underthrown by 10-15 yards to Torrey Smith, who was sitting wide open. I never want to see him put touch on the ball again if that's the example of "adding touch" to the ball.

This receiving core can be high school football players for all I care. He never lets the receivers battle, only throws when they're sitting wide WIDE open. Throws late at times, which is why its' easy for DBs to jump routes. When he's late he needs to throw bullets. Hence why that's all we usually see.

O-line does suck, but that make sit more important to be on time with the ball. Does it collapse a lot sooner? But that doesn't make much of an excuse. Guys like Carr from the Raiders get the ball out on time, early too. So a crappy o-line doesn't matter.

And blitzes? Kaeps numbers go down, other QBs go up. That's called reading the defense and hitting the quick pass before the defense can compensate.

Jimmy Tomsuuula! I believe in my QB? I want to see how he responds?
In a blown out game why would you leave your starting QB in?
1) If you believe in him, sit him so he doesn't get hurt.
2) Respond to what? He threw 4 picks, he had 62 yards throwing. The rest of the game. Dude's rattled. I want to see Kaepernick respond to a benching.

Let the receivers be receivers and give them a chance to make a play on the ball. I love how there hasn't been a pass interference on DBs of the opposite team, because the receivers don't have a ball to battle for. It's either they're open or he doesn't throw it, or he misses the throw.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
Hello Aaron Rogers!

-Brian
Aaron Rodgers rips teams apart even better when blitzed.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:22 PM

The one time Kap has all day to throw, he throws an interception. Dude has lost all confidence in himself. He says he doesn't get rattled by all the negative press, but it's clearly getting to him. He's throwing so poorly that the small 5 yard passes are botched by himself.

Boldin was shown on tv clearly frustrated and throwing fits on the sidelines. I feel his pain. Dude went from 49ers' #1 receiver to barely getting passes thrown his way anymore.

Rodgers looked like he was in cruise control for most of the game. Didn't really take much risk knowing that the 49ers can't score.

Geep Chryst sucks. Calling a read option on a 3rd and 11? lol

Tomsula, Chryst, Mangini, Baalke, and Kap all need to go. Jed York needs to go too, but he ain't gonna fire himself.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:16 PM

1) No touch, underthrown, double team. Means don't throw the ball, terrible choice.
2) Can throw 1v1 and let the players make a play, alah Torrey Smith even though it was under thrown. But Kaepernick sucks and doesn't trust himself to put the ball there on time.
3) I dont think there has been a Pass Interference yet on our receivers, which means not letting receivers make plays.
4) Defense did outstanding against one of the top 3 QBs in the league.
5) I'm on the Gabbert train.
6) Where are all the underneath jerk/crossing routes?! Good check down routes.
7) Celek is better than Vance.

Next week Colin is in, I think the week after we see Gabbert.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:41 PM

^ Packers had a short week and long travel time. They also have a lousy OL. Rodgers looked to be in cruise control much of the game. That considered, still not convinced the 49er defense improved. Packers still got 100+ rushing yards. Not much pressure on Rodgers to put up points since the Packers know 49ers can't score.

Joe Montana said it best:

Montana on Kap: 'Have to anticipate ... can't hold the ball' | CSN Bay Area
Hall of Famer Joe Montana wants to see 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick do a better job of simply getting rid of the football.

The 49ers’ pass protection has come under fire through three games this season. And Kaepernick said just a few days before his four-interception performance against the Arizona Cardinals that he is being asked to be himself, which has placed him in a comfort zone.

On Saturday, the 49ers quarterback who was known for his impeccable timing told Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News that Kaepernick is guilty of holding the ball too long as a passer.

"It doesn't matter about the comfort. It's about the timing," Montana said. "It's about the ball coming out of your hand.

"(Kaepernick) has an extra-strong arm. You have a tendency to want to wait. But you have to anticipate. You can't hold the ball. Those are the things that take time to learn for people who didn't grow up on the pocket."

Montana said Kaepernick is not alone. He referenced the struggles of other dual-threat quarterbacks in the transition to the NFL.

"You try to keep players from those (college) systems in the pocket, but that's not what they do best," Montana said.
Kap doesn't anticipate and he also doesn't check down. Bush was open on a lot of passing plays and Kap barely ever looked at him to throw to.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
That was basically what I was expecting. Honestly surprised that it wasnt a bigger blow out.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 AM

Jed York's biggest mistakes (Kaepernick Edition): Under-valuing the QB expertise of Harbaugh and Roman, over-valuing Dilfer, Chryst, and... Steve Logan? WTH? - Talking Points

Hey, what a surprise: The 49ers are 1-3, have scored the fewest points in the NFL (48, the same amount Atlanta scored yesterday)… and Jed York is AWOL. Underground. Silent. Disappeared.

Actually, York ducking under the nearest desk (metaphorically) and sending his minions out to explain why it’s not his fault whenever things get rocky in 49ersland… is the most predictable thing on earth.

But York is the guy running the 49ers, he’s the one who made the call to undermine and then fire Jim Harbaugh, he hand-picked Jim Tomsula to replace the most successful 49ers coach since the Bill Walsh/George Seifert era and Jed York has his fingerprints over everything about this recent swoon.

Last I checked, York also asked the world to hold him accountable. Except that’s hard to do when York won’t face cameras or columnists, when Levi’s Stadium is earning his family in excess of $100M in profits a year, and when he can’t and won’t fire himself as team CEO/president/superman.

Advertisement
–One note to start off today’s conversation: York and GM Trent Baalke could’ve hired Adam Gase as their coach last January, and Gase was in talks to keep Vic Fangio as his defensive coordinator if that happened.

But…

Instead, at the 11th hour of their long day of negotiations, Baalke told Gase he had to accept Tomsula as his DC.

Gase’s response (paraphrased): What the hell???

So Gase wisely ran away from that at full sprint–he was never officially offered the HC job but had been led to believe the job was his–and then Gase swiftly and repeatedly declined Tomsula’s entreaties to come aboard as the 49ers OC.

Eventually, Gase signed on as the Bears’ OC… and Fangio signed on as the Bears DC.

Oh, by the way, the Bears defense looked pretty good against the Raiders on Sunday, I might point out.

The clarifying point is that York decided his guy was Tomsula, period., so Tomsula got the 49ers HC job and promoted Geep Chryst in the OC job and Eric Mangini as DC.

The 49ers had Harbaugh. Replaced him with Tomsula. When you think about the ruined QB play, just think about that.

You want a direct line of accountability for the unraveling of Colin Kaepernick? Let’s look at what and who York and Baalke have churned through in the last few months:

Advertisement
-They had Harbaugh, Greg Roman and Fangio, the braintrust that got them to three consecutive NFC championship games and that picked and developed Kaepernick (and yes, had some bumpy games with Kaepernick in 2014)… and essentially fired all three;

-They could’ve had Gase (who probably would’ve served as his own OC) and Fangio;

-They ended up with Tomsula, Chryst, Mangini and QBs coach Steve Logan (who was a radio host most recently). And then York said Tomsula could be the next Steve Kerr.

Whew.
There are so many mistakes to list, some intentional, some not, some that York and Baalke don’t even fathom yet, but maybe they’re starting to…

Let’s just list a few that directly involve the on-going de-evolution of Kaepernick, who just looks lost out there these days, in his fourth season as a starter…

1. York didn’t value what Harbaugh and Roman did generally, but specifically didn’t understand what they meant to the QB spot and Kaepernick most especially.

In fact, probably with the whispered assistance of 49er-buddy Trent Dilfer, York and Baalke decided that Harbaugh and Roman were THE problem.

And that was wrong. About as wrong as an owner and GM can be, and York and Baalke have been doing a lot of that lately.

You can explain it any way you want, but York and Baalke put Kaepernick’s future (and the 49ers’ short-term future) in the hands of Tomsula, Chryst, QBs coach Steve Logan, Dilfer and whoever else kissed up to York.
This is what York said to the NFL Network soon after putting the new staff together…

“But with Kap you got a guy in Geep Chryst who knows him better than anybody else. You have a great guy in Steve Logan that’s coming in that’s going to work with him on fundamentals and to put a system that’s going to put Kap in the best position to make plays.

“How many quarterbacks in this league can run 90 yards for a touchdown? I can’t think of many, but you have to put Kap in position where he can make those plays and put Kap in position where we can run the ball.

“We can throw the ball in ways that allows him to be successful and let him be the absolute stud that he can be on the field, and that’s what you’re going to see from us next year. Defenses are not going to want to play against us because you’re not going to know where we’re going to hit you.”

That’s babble. I never understood what the 49ers’ plans were for Kaepernick this season–and I said so repeatedly–and this was the start of the nonsense.

Oh, they want him to run it 90 yards at a time. Good to know!

The scheme? Who cares, Jed says they’re going to let Kap be Kap.

That’s an owner thinking he can be an OC and a QB coach and only wants to believe flattering things about himself and his team and who doesn’t want a strong-minded coach to intrude on the ownership musing.

It’s the thinking that led the team to the Mike Singletary era, which, coincidentally, was the last time they coached the QB this poorly.

2. The “let Kap be Kap” blather wasn’t harmless–it tangibly screwed up Kaepernick.

You don’t want a QB second-guessing every throw he makes in an NFL game. But that’s exactly what the 49ers have done. Much of this is Kaepernick’s fault, but the 49ers brass is fully responsible for this, too.

Again, this was an intentional de-valuing of the work Harbaugh and Roman did to try to keep Kaepernick settled, to use his legs only when they had to use them, and to try to nudge him towards more efficiency.

York and Baalke and Dilfer thought that was wrong. But listening to Dilfer has only made it worse and made Kaepernick worse.

Yes, working with Kurt Warner last offseason–right out of the Dilfer playbook–made it worse.

Again, I never followed the logic of this but it made sense to 49ers management: They believed working on his pocket skills with Warner and also designing an offense suited to his runs would let Kaepernick cut loose.

But it never made sense, when you put it together. They were pulling Kaepernick both ways and he didn’t know enough or wasn’t strong enough to stop and say, THIS DOESN’T MAKE SENSE.

Actual result: He looks like he’s hesitating in the middle of every throw, trying to think through the release, then re-think it, neither fully committed to just throwing it naturally or to a clinical approach…

And that’s the worst kind of in-between for an NFL QB.

Harbaugh and Roman were trying to get Kaepernick to feel natural in the pocket–it didn’t quite take last season and who knows how well it would’ve worked into the future if they hadn’t gotten dismissed.

But now the York-Baalke Dilfer-Warner-Chryst-Tomsula version of Kaepernick doesn’t look natural doing anything.

That’s not regression, that’s obliteration.

3. While the non-guaranteed $126M contract was a shrewd deal for the 49ers–because they can cut Kaepernick without much financial stress–it set him up to be their fall guy and knowing the 49ers, we knew they’d eagerly take that route at the first possible opportunity.

I don’t know why his agent or Kaepernick himself didn’t see this. I argued this point as soon as we learned about the true details of this very, very team-friendly deal.

It didn’t help the 49ers’ salary cap (unless they cut him); it helped their bank account, though, if they were planning to cut him.

–Two summers ago, I thought the 49ers would give Kaepernick something like three years and $45M, with much of it guaranteed, which would’ve paid him through 2016 and also given him huge incentive to understand that he’s still competing for his job.

–The 49ers chose not to do that, largely because they knew Kaepernick didn’t realize that their non-guaranteed offer was worse.

–That made it all about the 49ers’ bottom-line.

And once you get Jed York staring at his bottom-line, that’s all he can think about… and once Kaepernick got off to a slow start, no shock, the usual 49ers management cronies started saying Kaepernick was a problem.

He’s the fall guy. And he’s wilting under the pressure. Just falling apart under that scrutiny.

This is unhealthy. This is how you blow up your team.

I’m not saying the 49ers shouldn’t exercise every negotiating right. Kaepernick signed the deal, he has to live with it, and if they cut him this spring, that’s the way it goes.

But the very structure of this deal set Kaepernick up to be a fall guy before he deserved it and that’s not a confident way to run a franchise.

4. OK, they set up the chance to get rid of Kaepernick whenever they wanted. BUT: They didn’t acquire anybody to compete with him or to replace him.

Kaepernick was at his best in 2012… when he was coached by Harbaugh and Roman and… competing with Alex Smith for the starting job. Smith was never better than back then, either.

It’s not bad to have a competition. I figured the 49ers would do that at some point by drafting a QB–the same way Bill Belichick does it every three or four years by bringing in somebody younger than Tom Brady–but Baalke kept taking injured linemen or safeties.

Now they have Blaine Gabbert as their back-up QB and, though they might end up having to play Gabbert, if he’s their starting QB by definition they’re not a very good team.

Even if Kaepernick turns this around a bit this season, the 49ers will have to draft or acquire a QB in the spring just to make sure they have somebody in waiting.

It’s ridiculous that they didn’t do this already.

5. One more time: They put Jim Tomsula in charge of the team.

Nice guy. Popular guy. Really nice to the Yorks.

Is he the guy the team–or Colin Kaepernick–knows can lead them out of trouble? You know the answer to that one, the 49ers players know it, and I would’ve thought Jed York could know that, but he didn’t.

I would ask him about that. Except he’s hiding under his desk, and might be hiding for a long time.
York/Baalke have gone into hiding, just like Chris Cohan/Robert Rowell of the Warriors past.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM

In other news, 49ers are trying out Terrelle Pryor for WR position. As if that will help fix the offense lol
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
the last thing we need are more wide outs.

I feel bad for Boldin and torrey smith. Those guys are studs and with Boldin getting older feel like we are wasting their talents. Need a QB who can throw

I really really wanted Kaep to work out. But he's not showing any indication of moving forward which is a damn shame.

Game yesterday could have been worse honestly. 17 points isn't bad considering it was Green Bay. Offense looked ****ty at best which was to be expected but I'm happy we didn't get obliterated
Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
oh man
Old 10-05-2015, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
Kawakami coming on strong. That's the best take I've read thus far. I had almost forgotten what the aughts looked/felt like. Here we go again. At least I'll now have time to wash the car on Sundays .

-Brian
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Definitely the coaching staff. You get more weapons, yes you lose the right side of the line (and they weren't prepared) and and the offense wasn't great under Harbaugh, NOW look at it. LoL

20-18(game was over already)-7-3, maybe they lay a donut in New York against the Giants, who are surging and probably the NFC East winner, and should be 4-0 if it wasn't for weird calls in the first 2 games.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official: 49ers 2015/2016 Season