i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Obama to tap consumers for emission, mpg standards (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/obama-tap-consumers-emission-mpg-standards-204254/)

woocabin 05-18-2009 11:08 PM

Obama to tap consumers for emission, mpg standards

[url]http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Obama-to-tap-consumers-for-apf-15285710.html?sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=[/url]

04caliwrx 05-18-2009 11:23 PM

thats bullcrap, i hope that retard will think about the loss of jobs and money the tuners put back into the us economy every year. cars are one of the biggest American past times! how the F will this help people out lol

Gibz 05-19-2009 12:01 AM

yeah i just saw this on the news and hmm dont think its going to fly over so well.

Irish_car_B0mb 05-19-2009 12:07 AM

if they make all cars have a 35.5 mpg rating cars liek ours will be lacking so much power. there will be no nice cars coming out...

hwow do you get a Ferrari to get 20 mpg let alone 35.5

what a bunch of horse****

Gibz 05-19-2009 12:15 AM

ha 35? the news said 40 something mpg rofl and they said trucks/suv's have to have a min of 27mpg

ruehl 05-19-2009 12:20 AM

the environment is obviously more important than reasonable happiness. Eventually we will all be driving white cars that get 50mpg since white will be the only color allowed and 50mpg will be the minimum. I SURE CANT WAIT!

JelloChex 05-19-2009 12:25 AM

At this point it just looks like a target set of goals, but no real plan for action. It doesn't say exactly how the cars would need to get to these goals (at least not based on what I saw in the article, but maybe I missed something).

Gibz 05-19-2009 12:41 AM

when i saw the news they hope to have this applied by 2018.

Pactin 05-19-2009 12:42 AM

Won't pass. If it does, then 2010 cars and below will be t3h fastest.

[QUOTE=Irish_car_B0mb;2615174]if they make all cars have a 35.5 mpg rating cars liek ours will be lacking so much power. there will be no nice cars coming out...

hwow do you get a Ferrari to get 20 mpg let alone 35.5

what a bunch of horse****[/QUOTE]

I don't think they'll require our cars (cars made before this law's enactment) to reach this limit. But forsure they'll try to enforce stricter emissions standards, which doesnt help either.

ruehl 05-19-2009 01:01 AM

[QUOTE=Pactin]
I don't think they'll require our cars (cars made before this law's enactment) to reach this limit. But forsure they'll try to enforce stricter emissions standards, which doesnt help either.[/QUOTE]

Nevada, Montana, and Wyoming here I come as long as its not nation wide like it says since i doubt the states will give up complete control of this.

willow 05-19-2009 01:04 AM

I don't mind if the cars become more like lotus elise or exige. And then add additional electric motor for more power and gas milage.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDf9YEnIUFQ[/url]

resident smurf 05-19-2009 04:03 AM

I'm more for economic adjustment (naturally big inefficient polluting cars will disappear when it is no longer economical to drive them), but I think these higher mileage standards have the potential to be good ideas.

We'll either a) adapt with new technologies such as lightweight materials and higher efficiency motors, or b) have slower new cars.

I'm no greenie, I do a month on track every year, but I'm all for improving efficiency and stopping environmental destruction (if we can do so without really compromising anything, and really who cares if average daily drivers lose some power). Subsidizing dinosaur technologies like big honkin 7.0L trucks doens't help in the big picture.

Yea the cars that come out in the short term have the potential to suck but eventually people will adapt, and just look on the flipside, cars from this era might be classic someday if they're kept in good shape i.e. STI, M3, GTR, etc. when everyone else is driving around electric cars. ;)

If you want proof that people have adapted and that we can adapt again... cars are faster and handle better than they ever have before. (I mean, wtf, a GTR will probably smoke any production car from the muscle car era in a straight line or on anything twisty. And it gets way better mileage. I can only imagine hybrids/electrics from the future will make a joke out of the GTR in 25 years from an objective performance perspective).

wombatsauce 05-19-2009 07:26 AM

There are quite a few posts in here that explain why this is very needed, sadly. It would be much better if car manufacturers and car buyers could work together to realize a wide spectrum of different vehicles from economical to performance oriented. Sure the 4' tall old lady with the bukkake shield on in the lane next to you might be putting down 728lb/ft of torque in her SL65 AMG but today's "economy" cars do not get much better mileage than those of the late 70's. The MobilGas Economy Challenge used to have large family sedans from the 50's averaging between 21 and 27mpg on a cross country race. So why then would it be too much to ask to proceed to the year 2016 with cars getting as much as 35.5mpg? Basically, because most people are lazy and do not know how to drive - it's getting worse and worse.

Our cars have made huge leaps and bounds in mostly insignificant convenience areas that all work together to make it easier to be a careless and skill-less driver in exchange for cash. Hell, some cars even blip the gas for you on shifts or revmatch on downshifts - there are so many systems designed to do things for you that really are a part of the driving experience. Every time I drive a car from the 60's, 70's or even some 80's cars I feel like this.

A monkey could get into a GTR and successfully drive it off a cliff, gently coddled by the amazing airbag system. Cars like the 911 of the 60's and 70's used to help keep this population in check naturally. ;)

Anyway, sad as it is, it looks like we need the government to tell us that we need to start working on producing economical vehicles since there appears to be a future of some sort heading right for us. At least someone is thinking about how to prepare for it. Most of me wants to shout and be mad and say "we don't need more laws" but in a few cases, it's pretty obvious that something needs to be done. Too bad it's the gov't instead of ALL OF US is all I have to say. :(

Yin 05-19-2009 09:05 AM

fast cars are simply toys and hobbies, people. take it easy. plus its a luxury at that. of all the problems in the world today, this is really a small blip on the radar as far as importance to building a functional society goes.

plus this isn't going to happen overnight so i'd say we have a good 2-3 weeks before the oppression and fascism that is automobile emissions laws sets in.

come on people, with all the technology and talent we have currently, is it so far-fetched to think that in the future we *may* be able to have fast cars with high mpg? *cough* tesla *cough*

sorry, just being optimistic. i don't know what got into me :noidea:.

willow 05-19-2009 10:02 AM

^^^Like I say. Mass produce lotus and cut the price.