i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Need a little help on my new car! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/need-little-help-my-new-car-4241/)

McDell 12-28-2002 09:56 AM

Need a little help on my new car!

Hi all,

I live in San Jose and just bought a '03 WRX and it now has 2500 miles on it. I just purchased the short throw shifter and the turbo gauge from the dealer and they said they would charge me 600 bucks to install them. Now here's my questions, is the subaru short throw shifter a good one or should I get a aftermarket one? If so what brand? Secondly, I plan to go a motorsports shop to have them install my factory turbo gauge but is it worth it? Since I will be doing more mods on this car so should I go with the aftermarket turbo gauge?

Thanks

Alan

suby_dude 12-28-2002 10:18 AM

Re: Need a little help on my new car!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by McDell [/i]
[B]Hi all,

I live in San Jose and just bought a '03 WRX and it now has 2500 miles on it. I just purchased the short throw shifter and the turbo gauge from the dealer and they said they would charge me 600 bucks to install them. Now here's my questions, is the subaru short throw shifter a good one or should I get a aftermarket one? If so what brand? Secondly, I plan to go a motorsports shop to have them install my factory turbo gauge but is it worth it? Since I will be doing more mods on this car so should I go with the aftermarket turbo gauge?

Thanks

Alan [/B][/QUOTE]

alan,

there are folks here who can help you install those...

i don't think u need to go to a specialty shop to install a guage... its just a gauge.

install fest anyone?

PimpWagon 12-28-2002 11:30 AM

You're in San Jose? Goto I-speedusa. Their site is [url]www.i-speedusa.com[/url] They'll install the stuff for you. $600 is reduculous for installing a friggin gauge and short shifter. But then, that's why they're the stealership.

En3D 12-28-2002 11:53 AM

The factory short shifter is is more involved to install than an aftermarket shifter since it replaces the whole linkage. I would get the factory shifter install and then get bushings like the Kartboy. IMHO, this is the best setup.

The gauge you can do yourself. here is the link to the instructions.
[url]https://ssl.autocenter.net/webparts/acatalog/page1.html[/url]

ImprezaRSDriver 12-28-2002 03:15 PM

The I-Speed guys are always great on working on peoples cars. I know that they will be doing a turbo swap for me sometime in the future when I have time. lolz. Definitely ask if they have time to do it for you.

Gauges and that short shifter are not too bad. I am sure that most of us can do the boost gauge ourselves.

I know tomorrow that I will be helping out a friend install a rear swaybar on the car and I will be doing some installs on my WRX also.

I have the STI short throw shifter on my car and I prefer it over the Kartboys. But then again everyone has their own preference on how everyone likes his or her own car. I guess if you need help on the gauge I can help you out with that sometime tomorrow maybe. I live in the Evergreen area so if you need help then PM me or email me and I will see if I can help ya out if you need it.

McDell 12-28-2002 03:44 PM

Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the great responses, however I couldn't wait til Monday to get them installed. I went to a shop recommended by a friend and they charged me 180 to install both the factory gauge and short shifter. Should've done it myself but well, I just can't live with the parts just purchased sitting on the table without being installed. Next time if I ever need to install something I will remember you guys. So next up, I am planning to install a STi exaust and turbo timer, the STi is kinda expensive, any suggestions on the aftermarket ones? And which turbo timer should I get? By the way, will the exaust fail the smog test? Also at vishnu tunning they have a stage 1 kit that basically replaces the factory ECU, is that easy to install? Worth it? Will it pass the smog test?

Thanks to all

ImprezaRSDriver 12-28-2002 05:14 PM

Just replacing the muffler will still allow you to pass because you have not modified any of the cats. Replacing just the muffler is easy to do also.

Any turbo timer will be easy to install as long as you get the harness for it. They all serve the same function, it just comes down to what features you want in the end.

scoobiesnacks 12-28-2002 06:49 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver [/i]
[B]Just replacing the muffler will still allow you to pass because you have not modified any of the cats. Replacing just the muffler is easy to do also.[/B][/QUOTE]

Well actually, you are not even supposed to change the muffler. My dad is a smog tecnitian and I ask him questions like this everyday. He said ANY modification you do to your car is against the law and will not pass the smog test. Unless it is approved by the referee. It will pass the sniffer test but if you get someone smog your car that goes by the rules you will fail.

ImprezaRSDriver 12-28-2002 08:11 PM

Well if that is the case then how come the exhaust on my mom's Z3 passes smog. She has an aftermarket exhaust and it passes smog just fine.

1WRX2NV 12-28-2002 09:00 PM

Alan,
Vishnu uses ECUTEK now so there is no unichip or replacement of the stock ECU. You can use this on all his stages. Skip stage 1 just go to 2 :D
I have some NEW JIC coilovers I need to sell...if you are interested.
I'm in SJ too.

-freddie

Kevin M 12-28-2002 10:05 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by scoobiesnacks [/i]
[B]Well actually, you are not even supposed to change the muffler. My dad is a smog tecnitian and I ask him questions like this everyday. He said ANY modification you do to your car is against the law and will not pass the smog test. Unless it is approved by the referee. It will pass the sniffer test but if you get someone smog your car that goes by the rules you will fail. [/B][/QUOTE]

Any and all aftermarket cat-back exhaust is CARB legal. It has no effect whatsoever on emissions as long as you leave the stock cats alone.

scoobiesnacks 12-29-2002 03:25 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver [/i]
[B]Well if that is the case then how come the exhaust on my mom's Z3 passes smog. She has an aftermarket exhaust and it passes smog just fine. [/B][/QUOTE]

If the guy doing the smog doesnt care or is nice then he can make it pass the visual. The sniffer test will pass for sure.