M.J. dies and it’s 24/7 news. An American hero dies and not a mention of it anywhere

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
M.J. dies and it’s 24/7 news. An American hero dies and not a mention of it anywhere

The media has no honor.

Ed Freeman

You're a 19-year-old kid. You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley , 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray, Vietnam . Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out.. Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter and you look up to see an unarmed Huey, but it doesn't seem real because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out, through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses.

And he kept coming back, 13 more times, and took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died on Wednesday, June 25th, 2009, at the age of 80, in Boise , ID. May God rest his soul.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
And there were even more than Ed Freeman, whom we commemorate on Veterans Day. Congress already said thanks but no thanks to michael jackson day.

/thread
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 PM

Car Info: .
RIP

The downfall of this country started a long time ago.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Hey, that sounds like the cover up of all the **** that's going on in the government like cap n' tax, etc. I've been pointing this out days ago. Our government is runnin' wild =P
Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Car Info: C:/ and D:/
Like it or not, running a media outlet is a business, and just like any other, they need to sell. Unfortunately, 99% of Americans don't give a crap about Ed Freeman, and wouldn't even understand the significance of what he did. So tell me, is that a problem with the media, or the retards we call our fellow countrymen?

I'm not saying the media is faultless here. But there's a lot more to the story than that.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by mjc1055
Like it or not, running a media outlet is a business, and just like any other, they need to sell. Unfortunately, 99% of Americans don't give a crap about Ed Freeman, and wouldn't even understand the significance of what he did. So tell me, is that a problem with the media, or the retards we call our fellow countrymen?

I'm not saying the media is faultless here. But there's a lot more to the story than that.
99% of Americans don't care about a fallen hero? A recipient of the medal of honor? Who in their right mind wouldn't care about him? You really think 99% of Americans don't care about our war heroes? You're crazy if you think that!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by brucelee
99% of Americans don't care about a fallen hero? A recipient of the medal of honor? Who in their right mind wouldn't care about him? You really think 99% of Americans don't care about our war heroes? You're crazy if you think that!
They treat MJ as a god. Media wants ratings, ratings is the hot stuff. Unfortunately, this isn't your man. It's Sotomayor, etc. all that stuff. Although appointing a women who IS NOT QUALiIFIED for LIFE as an extreme liberal is something to keep an eye on if not voice your opinion about.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM

All I'm saying is I think you're placing a lot more faith in the people around you than they warrant. 99% is obviously a gross exaggeration, and I'm definitely NOT making excuses for the media since I think they are the definition of excess a lot of the time.

But unfortunately, I think it's probably true that your average American would rather spend what little of their free time they devote to reading or watching TV to senseless crap like the coverage of MJ.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
this country was destined to go to hell when it was founded. /thread
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more people in the 35yrs. and younger crowd cared more about M.J. than a Vietnam war hero. Sad, but true. A lot of Americans nowadays seem to have gone soft - they take freedom for granted, and think it comes without cost. In fact, it seems like they think everything comes without cost. Better public education? Sure. Free health care for everyone? Why the hell not. Free benefits for illegal immigrants? Bring it on.

And yes, the media is just like any other business - they only care about advertising dollars, not informing the public. Anyone who thinks the news is anything other than entertainment is seriously fooling themselves. You might tell yourself that you're being informed watching the 10 o' clock news/CNN/MSNBC, but in reality, it's no different than watching a sitcom.
________
GAY MOVIE

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
i can kind of one up you with the death of Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

"Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy
Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't
know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat. Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made. Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped. At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you
know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.
I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem ." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day. I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach. He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy.." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this. Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer."
Old 07-13-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by kyoung05
And yes, the media is just like any other business - they only care about advertising dollars, not informing the public. Anyone who thinks the news is anything other than entertainment is seriously fooling themselves. You might tell yourself that you're being informed watching the 10 o' clock news/CNN/MSNBC, but in reality, it's no different than watching a sitcom.
To an extent, I agree with this. However, journalists for the most part think that they are doing a service to the public by reporting the news. Heck, it's not exactly a high paying job. The vast majority of reporters out there really are good people trying to do something good, it's the corporate nature of the business that twists everything.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Wow. My friends and I were just talking about the medal of honor earlier this evening. All I can say is thank you to Mr. Freeman. It's people like him who risk their own lives to save others while it's not their "job" but to do the right thing and help their brothers and sisters when they need it the most. I'm not going to lie but when I read/hear about stories like these it really does make me think and shed a tear knowing it and I'm not ashamed to admit that.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
that's right
Originally Posted by rau
this country was destined to go to hell when it was founded. /thread
Old 07-14-2009, 12:18 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
As sad as it may be I can understand why Freeman got overlooked whereas MJ got whored out to the max. Not that many people know who he is, and his heroic actions don't transverse generations as easily as MJ's music. I'm 23 and I think Freeman is a ****ing bad ***. If the men of the world were half the man he was. We'd have less bs in the world.

I think MJ is cool, loved his music and think he was a great artist. But for me:

Ed Freeman > Michael Jackson

And I'm not even related to anyone saved by Freeman.

Quick Reply: M.J. dies and it’s 24/7 news. An American hero dies and not a mention of it anywhere