Looking for legal advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Leaving aside the pay to play bit, I'd politely suggest there's only so far you want to get into discussing any detail of prospective legal action about anything in public forum. Asking for lawyer recommendations is one thing, playing out the whole scenario is another.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Originally Posted by CaliSuby
Im looking for a lawyer to help me resolve my pick up tube/blown motor issue. Anyone know of a good local lawyer that deals with isssues similar to mine?
Dude, come on. You will be wasting your money for zero return.

1. The pickup tube failed on a illegaly "modified car"
2. A pickup tube is bound to fail, crack, chip, or deteriorate when you run your motor hard, and or high/hot oil temps.
3. I understand this cost you your motor bro, but this is just a lose-lose battle that in the long run, will end up costing you much, much more than either a rebuild, or selling what is left of the car and buying something else.

..For Real.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
Please explain? Btw I'm trying to see if anyone knows of a lawyer that deals with similar cases..
Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
You're gonna lose....
Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Good luck with this. You were making 300 whp right? I'm sure that consisted of full exhaust, custom tune and may e some other mods. Your car is going to be exposed to oil temps that a stock STI wouldn't, therefor making your pick up tube get exposed to high temps aswell. Id you had suspension mods and wheel/ tire mods there is also more vibrations coming throughout your car. Heating and cooling your pick up tube plus added vibrations will crack it eventually. My .02
Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
You guys all understand this does happen to stock Subaru's right?

It has nothing to do with mods, oil temps, or what ever. They brazed the parts together wrong. Too much heat and caused the parts to turn brittle.

I highly recommend anyone driving a Subaru to replace their oem unit out.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by CaliSuby
Please explain? Btw I'm trying to see if anyone knows of a lawyer that deals with similar cases..
YOU decided to mod your car, take it past the specs of what Subaru made the car for, things on the car broke, those things that broke resulted in your engine failing, and now you want Subaru to pay for it...

That sounds a little crazy, eh?

Kinda like people that get a paper-cut at work, then go on disability for 10 years making more than their standard salary..
It's ridiculous and I'm telling you, if you try and "fight" this out with Subaru, you WILL lose, I promise. Chalk it up to a loss, a learning experiment, w/e you wanna call it and move on.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by old.guy
You guys all understand this does happen to stock Subaru's right?

It has nothing to do with mods, oil temps, or what ever. They brazed the parts together wrong. Too much heat and caused the parts to turn brittle.

I highly recommend anyone driving a Subaru to replace their oem unit out.
No, you are wrong.
The parts failed on an illegally modified car, as soon as this fact is noticed the case is throw out. If the situation were for this part to fail on a bone stock, low mileage, all maintenance maintained car w/ receipts to prove, that MAY be a different story.. too bad it's not this story.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
banned

Originally Posted by Volkey
No, you are wrong.
The parts failed on an illegally modified car, as soon as this fact is noticed the case is throw out. If the situation were for this part to fail on a bone stock, low mileage, all maintenance maintained car w/ receipts to prove, that MAY be a different story.. too bad it's not this story.
If it has failed on a
bone stock, low mileage, all maintenance maintained car w/ receipts to prove.
Then it can fail on any other car.

That also proves that the mods had nothing to do with the failure. A last ditch effort to derail would be if the oil pan had ever been removed before the failure.

There have been many failed parts on OEM bone stock cars. Just like the cracking pistons.

I'm just playing the devils side of things. My car only has one part left that is not stock. I roll that into a dealer for a repair, They would just laugh, then want to go for a ride.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by old.guy
There have been many failed parts on OEM bone stock cars. Just like the cracking pistons.
He doesn't have to prove that. He has to convince a judge that it was design flaw and not added stress that caused it in his particular instance.

And testimony from some schn00b hobbyist vs that of engineers and trained technicians who fix cars every day. What do you think holds more water?

Last edited by Brfatal; 06-07-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
banned

Statistics and Subarus own internal reports.
Which can be subpoenaed.

And bringing in a engineer with a background of failure analysis.

It can be done. Not said cheap.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
You could try to invoke the Magunson Moss Act, which basically says it's on the car company to show that the failure is a direct result of your modifications if they want to deny warranty. But with an engine compenent failure on a highly modified engine, that's gonna be a long shot
Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by Lowend
You could try to invoke the Magunson Moss Act, which basically says it's on the car company to show that the failure is a direct result of your modifications if they want to deny warranty. But with an engine compenent failure on a highly modified engine, that's gonna be a long shot
It's not so simple. That act was not written to protect enthusiasts. It was meant to protect people who go their oil changes at XYZ shop instead of at the dealership, self-wrenchers, and to protect consumers from shops that were denying a window motor repair because they have NAPA brake pads. It does not protect owners from abuse charges. And abuse would legally be pinned out as "operation beyond designed or intended or designed use". With an issues such as this is would be too hard to pin the cause on a single direct issue, which is bad for the OP. All the company really has to say is that because the car is modified it was operated beyond what the car was designed for.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Dude, come on. You will be wasting your money for zero return.

1. The pickup tube failed on a illegaly "modified car"
2. A pickup tube is bound to fail, crack, chip, or deteriorate when you run your motor hard, and or high/hot oil temps.
3. I understand this cost you your motor bro, but this is just a lose-lose battle that in the long run, will end up costing you much, much more than either a rebuild, or selling what is left of the car and buying something else.

..For Real.
I'm not completely sure if I'd do it yet Volkey... I'd like to talk to a lawyer. Ive watched bone stock pick up tubes go bad..
Old 06-07-2012, 03:04 PM

YOU decided to mod your car, take it past the specs of what Subaru made the car for, things on the car broke, those things that broke resulted in your engine failing, and now you want Subaru to pay for it...

That sounds a little crazy, eh?

Kinda like people that get a paper-cut at work, then go on disability for 10 years making more than their standard salary..
It's ridiculous and I'm telling you, if you try and "fight" this out with Subaru, you WILL lose, I promise. Chalk it up to a loss, a learning experiment, w/e you wanna call it and move on.
Volkey... Cars that are kept to factory specs still have this issue. It would be another thing if that never happend....

Quick Reply: Looking for legal advice