Looking for legal advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
Red face Looking for legal advice

Im looking for a lawyer to help me resolve my pick up tube/blown motor issue. Anyone know of a good local lawyer that deals with isssues similar to mine?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 PM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
Have you posted on Nazioc yet?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Im actually a bit surprised a lawyer hasnt already started assembling a class action over this, this is a well documented issue that Subaru is pretending isnt happening.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 PM

No I have not posted on nasioc. I dont ever post there only here... I've been looking on line for a lawyer that takes cases similar to mine. Just haven't had any luck. Was hoping someone on here knew of one or where to direct me to...+6k$ should come out of my pocket because of a simply bad pick up tube..
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Im actually a bit surprised a lawyer hasnt already started assembling a class action over this, this is a well documented issue that Subaru is pretending isnt happening.
Yes sir..... I'm hoping there's someone out there taking cases like mine... I'm going to try and put together as much info as I can together and present it to a lawyer..
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I thought someone posted in your last thread about winning a case like this.

Looking for link now.

Found it but it's not as descriptive as I remembered.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...6/#post3253456

Last edited by queeg9k; 06-05-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I'd be tempted to do like the woman who sued Honda in small claims court.

Fuji Heavy Industries won't be able to use a lawyer to combat you, and there's no way in hell their CFO will show up in court to fight you for $10,000

I didn't follow the whole thread, was this a rebuilt motor, or factory. If it's non-stock, you're probably SOL as Subaru will just say that you exceeded spec
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 PM

He never got back to me with details of how he went about it. He did mention to me though that he had a lawyer write a letter for him.... So either way I need a lawyer..Got my car looked at a local Subaru shop in Santa Cruz (hoping to just get it diagnosed) this is what HE found...

"Car came in, customer said it was dying, ran chirping noise after warm up and would die.... Took off timing belt and inspected pulleys and cams, intake cam was seizing and hard to turn, wich caused timing belt to jump time and possibly bent valves on passenger side head.."

He however thinks the block might be good? Is that possible?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
I'd be tempted to do like the woman who sued Honda in small claims court.

Fuji Heavy Industries won't be able to use a lawyer to combat you, and there's no way in hell their CFO will show up in court to fight you for $10,000

I didn't follow the whole thread, was this a rebuilt motor, or factory. If it's non-stock, you're probably SOL as Subaru will just say that you exceeded spec
You are right.. They might say that. Im hoping I can put enough info on past issues with the oem pick up tube with a stock engine or not. My car's issue happend because of my oil pick up tube. I'm on bolt Ons .. Stock turbo.. 300/340 whp/trq...nothing that would cause a "good" pick up tube to crack in the same spot as all the other ones...
Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Sadly most of the failed pick ups out there are likely on modified cars so any sort of law suit would be very tough to win.

-- Ed
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Yep. The burden of proof would be on you that it was a design flaw and not the result of modding. You won't ever hear about stock STI failures because the owners of these cars are likely not posting about it on enthusiast forums.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
Originally Posted by CaliSuby
You are right.. They might say that. Im hoping I can put enough info on past issues with the oem pick up tube with a stock engine or not. My car's issue happend because of my oil pick up tube. I'm on bolt Ons .. Stock turbo.. 300/340 whp/trq...nothing that would cause a "good" pick up tube to crack in the same spot as all the other ones...
Once you start to modify an vehicle, there are way too many variables to consider and outcomes possible to blame a failure of a part on SOA.
SOA designed the engine to run as is from the factory so I don't think a lawsuit will result in a win for the consumer.
IF the engine was 100% stock and this happened then one would have cause to suspect the failure was a part of SOA poor design and you would have a much better chance of winning the case against SOA.

No one can say for sure that your modifications did not 100% cause the crack in the "same" spot nor can anyone claim 100% SOA did or did not have designed it poorly and your EXACT car's engine was in fact one of the engines affected by the poor design flaw.

I am a firm believer of : "You gotta pay to play"
The moment I modified my STi I threw the warranty out the door.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
You guys are killing me.

This is a easy case. All you need to do is push the court to request all of Subaru's warranty claim repairs on stock engines from oil pick up or hell piston failures.
Once you get that info. You then hand that over to the judge and sit back and collect.

Look at the Killer Bee thread. There have been lots of OEM cars with cracked pick ups. There has also been a ton on cracked pistons on stock cars. If it can happen on a OEM car, which both have happened it can happen to anyone and the mods do not matter.

Use their own internal info against them in court. Each claim the area service manager needs to report back to Subaru HQ, The document and file that. Its a very easy thing to get with the court. It has major weight in your case.

But you already missed a important step in having a Subaru dealer inspect the car for the failure.

I also believe in pay to play. But really Subaru should have fixed the pick up and the piston issue if they are going to use rally cars on TV for ads. Yeah Yeah we all know its not the same car. But they portray it could be. They should have fixed it just because you are burning your customers.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
IF the engine was 100% stock and this happened then one would have cause to suspect the failure was a part of SOA poor design and you would have a much better chance of winning the case against SOA.

No one can say for sure that your modifications did not 100% cause the crack in the "same" spot nor can anyone claim 100% SOA did or did not have designed it poorly and your EXACT car's engine was in fact one of the engines affected by the poor design flaw.

But if you can bring to light enough cracked pick ups on stock cars. Hell 5 bone stock oem cars. Then it happen to your car. With a bone stock oil pan and pick up. If the bottom end is factory sealed. Then you could argue that the failed part was not part of the modifcations and then failed just like the parts on the OEM car. Causing the engine to fail.

We all know these fail on their own. Its the 1st thing a vendor sells on a motor rebuild. Its a smart replacement for anyone.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 AM

That's my whole point... IF I can proof that this happens to bone sti's then I think I have a decent case.... My engine was fine.. Healthy easy driven DD..

Quick Reply: Looking for legal advice