Local body shops: I need a quick favor

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:31 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Local body shops: I need a quick favor

Hi all,

Long story short I need a local body shop to quickly review these photos and write a quick letter stating your opinion on the damage and email it to me so I can forward it to my lawyer.

I sold my 2011 WRX to an 18 year old kid on Thursday, on Saturday I get a threatening call from the kids father complaining the rear bumper was held on by tape and it "flew off while driving" and he wanted to return the car or have me pay for the damage or he would sue me. This bumper was not held on by tape, and the vehicle was delivered and sold in perfect working condition. My lawyer will be sending a letter to the father stating I have no liability in the matter and would like to include a "professional" opinion and asked me to get a letter from a body shop.

Supposedly the bumper came off on a freeway over pass, and to me it is pretty obvious the kid hit something. However, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Email: bbannister93@gmail.com

The 3M tape seen in these pictures was there to hold the power cables in place for the JDM third brake light. Also, when looking at the bumper mounting points it is fairly obvious they are all snapped due to the bumper being ripped off, thus suggesting it was not "held on by duct tape" as he is claiming.

Thank you in advance, I will be sure to return the favor some way or another.
Attached Thumbnails Local body shops: I need a quick favor-img_0242.jpg   Local body shops: I need a quick favor-img_0243.jpg   Local body shops: I need a quick favor-img_0244.jpg   Local body shops: I need a quick favor-img_0245.jpg  
Old 12-21-2015, 11:42 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Bottom line. Used vehicles. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to do a proper inspection previous to purchase. Every used vehicle I've purchased has undergone a complete dealer inspection just for this very purpose.

They didn't do one. They're loss. Used vehicles purchased from an individual are purchased as is unless there's some kind of paperwork drawn up otherwise.

I'd tell them to **** off. They have no ground to stand on. You could have stuck that thing on their with bubblegum and semen and they'd have no ground to stand on.

I'd explain to them that the duct tape shown was to hold the wiring for the brake light down and that is all. The bumper was held on by the factory clips and it appears they've all been broken off due to an impact.

They honestly have no ground to stand on. Don't let it screw up your holidays.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Bottom line. Used vehicles. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to do a proper inspection previous to purchase. Every used vehicle I've purchased has undergone a complete dealer inspection just for this very purpose.

They didn't do one. They're loss. Used vehicles purchased from an individual are purchased as is unless there's some kind of paperwork drawn up otherwise.

I'd tell them to **** off. They have no ground to stand on. You could have stuck that thing on their with bubblegum and semen and they'd have no ground to stand on.

I'd explain to them that the duct tape shown was to hold the wiring for the brake light down and that is all. The bumper was held on by the factory clips and it appears they've all been broken off due to an impact.

They honestly have no ground to stand on. Don't let it screw up your holidays.
Just want to cover my bases if he tries to go to small claims court. My family pays for a lawyer service, might as well use it and send the ***** a letter.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:54 AM
General Pimpin'

Gonna be hard to find a body shop willing to drop something in writing on this. They won't want to get caught up in any legal proceedings. But you might get lucky. Good luck man.

honestly though... you probably won't need it. They're trying to scare you in to taking the car back. They see a young kid and think they can freak out and you'll just take it back.

Beyond that... they've now damaged it... why would you want it back?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
bubblegum and semen.
Quoting for posterity.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
Sucks, like Ray said they really cant do much other than harassing you.

Dont waste much time just tell the lawyer to send them an email stating something similar to what Ray said.

Kid damaged it and doesnt want to admit it so puts the blame on you. Kid will most likely total the car soon enough.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 91vtec
Sucks, like Ray said they really cant do much other than harassing you.

Dont waste much time just tell the lawyer to send them an email stating something similar to what Ray said.

Kid damaged it and doesnt want to admit it so puts the blame on you. Kid will most likely total the car soon enough.
Ok ill just have the lawyer send it, this was his idea anyway.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 01:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
did you complete the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability right after the sale?
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ne/nrl/welcome

you have 5 days from sale to do it

or the physical copy on the "pink" slip

"When properly completed, and the information is recorded by DMV, liability for parking and/or traffic violations and civil litigation, resulting from operation after the date of sale, becomes the responsibility of the subsequent purchaser (Vehicle Code §5602"

Last edited by Rescuer; 12-21-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:41 PM
General Pimpin'

werd
Old 12-22-2015, 12:53 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by BrendanTheGreat
to an 18 year old kid
Not surprised at all that the rear bumper 'magically' flew off after reading this lol.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:52 AM

was the bumper cracked and scraped like that?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:11 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by En3D
After it flew in the air and slid down the freeway...

But no... not when he sold it to the kid. Brendan is **** as hell. That isht was clean.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:41 AM

Wouldn't even waste my time getting the lawyer to write a letter or getting a body shop involved. Pix of the car from the ad would show the dad that the kid f'd it up. And with the laws of buying a used car from a private party, he can go pound sand.

And the car was sold to an 18 year old adult, not daddy.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by En3D
Ha the rear bumper was immaculate...the front bumper however is destroyed LOL and is being held on by a few clips and some bumper clips, but I stated that in the ad and sold the car with a discount so he could get the bumper fixed...

The letter by the lawyer is free (comes part of a monthly or yearly fee my parents pay for Legal Shield) so no harm done getting it sent anyway.

But yeah I was a little worried at first, as most people are when some guy calls threatening a $100,000 law suit, then after awhile I realized how idiotic this guy is lol.

Thanks fam
Old 12-22-2015, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
100k for what...mamadas tell him to go f. Goat

Quick Reply: Local body shops: I need a quick favor