i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Just got a ticket =/ Please share some inputs (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/just-got-ticket-%3D-please-share-some-inputs-224008/)

sticruisin06 10-03-2010 11:52 PM

Just got a ticket =/ Please share some inputs

Hey guys, I was driving on 680 earlier and there was a van pulled over on the shoulder with a CHP behind it. I was driving on the slow lane and passed them going 65, next thing I know there was that same CHP was behind me and boom he pulled me over. He gave me a ticket for the move over violation. Here is the ticket code " 21809A VC". This is my first ticket in my entire driving career lol so can you guys share some inputs on what to expect and what to do to clear this? Will this be moving violation and do I need to go to traffic school? How much is this ticket?

PS: i don't know if this is the right place to post this but yea forgive me.

Teagleye 10-04-2010 12:05 AM

He gave you a what ticket?
wtf.
Sounds like an ******* cop.

DarkJuic3b0x 10-04-2010 12:09 AM

I never anything about that law, but I guess if you think about it, it does make sense. Don't worry too much, the ticket should arrive in the mail soon and tell you the fine. I think it might be considered a moving violation, i'm not sure.

Check this out: [url]http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/47086/[/url]

KrAzYkld 10-04-2010 12:09 AM

From the information I have gathered, it seems to be a pretty big ticket. I've read of two people getting $700+ tickets and it is 3 points on your record. Hopefully the fines aren't that bad. Best of luck to you!

*EDIT* I took a look at DarkJuic3b0x's link and the fines don't seem to be as severe.
[QUOTE=Teagleye;2949831]He gave you a what ticket?
wtf.
Sounds like an ******* cop.[/QUOTE]

It's actually a law. Been effective since January 1, 2010.

sticruisin06 10-04-2010 12:12 AM

He said it was the move over law. Basically he said that your suppose to move over one lane to the left when there is a emergency vehicle, police car, or tow truck, that is pulled over to the side of the freeway. The funny part was when he was writing me the ticket, there was hella cars driving on.the slow lane going over 70.

sticruisin06 10-04-2010 12:14 AM

Damn yeah I saw that link where people paid 700 bucks thats why I'm tripping.

KrAzYkld 10-04-2010 12:20 AM

[QUOTE]21809. (a) A person driving a vehicle on a freeway approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying emergency lights, ( )1 a stationary tow truck that is displaying flashing amber warning lights, or a stationary marked Department of Transportation vehicle that is displaying flashing amber warning lights, shall approach with due caution and, before passing in a lane immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle ( )1 , tow truck, or Department of Transportation vehicle, absent ( )2 other direction by a peace officer, proceed to do one of the following:

(1) Make a lane change into an available lane not immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle, tow truck, or ( )3 Department of Transportation vehicle, with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, if practicable and not prohibited by law.

(2) If the maneuver described in paragraph (1) would be unsafe or impracticable, slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe for existing weather, road, and vehicular or pedestrian traffic conditions.

[B](b) A violation of subdivision (a) is an infraction, punishable by a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50).[/B]

(c) ( )4 The requirements of subdivision (a) do not apply if the stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying emergency lights, the stationary tow truck that is displaying flashing amber warning lights, or the stationary marked Department of Transportation vehicle that is displaying flashing amber warning lights is not adjacent to the freeway or is separated from the freeway by a protective physical barrier.
Added Sec. 2, Ch. 375, Stats. 2006. Effective January 1, 2007.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 175, Stats. 2009. Effective January 1, 2010. [/QUOTE]
This was taken from DMV's website, so I guess the fine is $50 and an infraction (hopefully).

DarkJuic3b0x 10-04-2010 12:23 AM

Just be glad you live in California and NOT Virginia. In Virginia, I read the fine is like $2500+......I could do so many things to my car with that much money......or it could buy me so many sake bombs!

sticruisin06 10-04-2010 12:23 AM

Hopefully its under 50

Heedz 10-04-2010 12:28 AM

wow what a dik seriously... is there anything that wouldve caught his eye way more? but come on, what if you couldnt move over you know?

sticruisin06 10-04-2010 12:37 AM

i know man hella sucks. In the ticket he circled infraction and he put 65mph. Thank god he didn't give me more trouble due to my car.

Pactin 10-04-2010 01:35 AM

[QUOTE=Heedz;2949841]wow what a dik seriously... is there anything that wouldve caught his eye way more? but come on, what if you couldnt move over you know?[/QUOTE]

If you couldn't move over, you are supposed to be going at a speed slower than the speed limit (IIRC recall 20mph under)

Sucks to hear Mike, hope your fine isn't that high.

willow 10-04-2010 01:50 AM

This is a new traffic law right? I forgot about this.

manhands 10-04-2010 07:33 AM

Always fight every ticket, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

You were going the speed limit which is a safe speed on the freeway, unless he clocked you over the speed limit and noted it on the ticket you were driving the safest possible speed.

If I was you I would assert that it was unsafe to move over from the lane due to traffic in the adjacent lane preventing you from moving over at the time. He can't expect you to crawl by him, slamming on your brakes and having someone rear end you.

You have a very good chance of getting it dismissed.

KrAzYkld 10-04-2010 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=willow;2949875]This is a new traffic law right? I forgot about this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, by law you must switch over a lane away from the emergency vehicle (police, ambulance, firefighter, tow truck etc.) or slow down to 20MPH if you can't switch over.