i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   info on gruppe-s mainfold (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/info-gruppe-s-mainfold-39449/)

02silversuby 11-25-2003 02:26 AM

info on gruppe-s mainfold

i want to get the mianfold and upipe soon, people on wrx fantics say u will loose the boxer rumble sound when u install a header. anyone have the gruppe-s mainfold?

-Adam

dr3d1zzl3 11-25-2003 03:09 AM

so your telling us that there is real people on that site!
ha i just thought it was a bunch of lamely written bots. haha

oh and there is no other subaru site besides this one on the web.

And nothing short of replacing the motor with a inline 4 or a v something will get ride of the wonderful noise our motors make:)

nekoball 11-25-2003 03:27 AM

or an equal length exhaust manifold?

suby_dude 11-25-2003 04:26 AM

ask... andrew from bianco subaru... what his setup is in terms of exhaust... its very nice sounding.

SD

Wingless Wonder 11-25-2003 05:04 AM

[quote][size=1][color=gray][i]Origami posted by 02silversuby[/i][/color]
[font=Arial][color=royalblue]I want to get the manifold and uppipe soon, people on wrx fanatics say you will lose the boxer rumble sound when you install a header.
[/color][/font][/size][/quote]It's a myth that changing out the exhaust manifolds for equal or unequal length headers will completely change the sound of a boxer engine. Not true. It may slightly change the [i]tone[/i] of the motor, much the same as on an inline four or a V8, but only because of the construction (comparatively thinwall steel tubing). It will sound different than stock, but it will still have a unique boxer note.

Boxers always sound different than inline or V engines. This goes for any number of cylinders. Examples are old air-cooled Volkswagen flat four or Porsche air-cooled or water cooled flat sixes. The unique sound is a result of the 180-degree opposed cylinders and the firing sequence for each engine revolution.

[size=1][color=skyblue]--
0==[color=blue]WW[/color]==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush[/color][/size]

Ex-ricer 11-25-2003 06:39 AM

headers make scoobys sound "crisp" imho...i have the gruppe-s one and i like it...gonna upgrade to cusco someday, why? because its cusco :D

josh

Steppin Razor 11-25-2003 07:34 AM

WW, have you even heard a scoob with an equal length manifold?

Wingless Wonder 11-25-2003 08:13 AM

[quote][size=1][color=gray][i]Origami posted by Steppin Razor[/i][/color]
[font=Arial][color=royalblue]WW, have you even heard a scoob with an equal length manifold?
[/color][/font][/size][/quote]No, I haven't. Wait, I may have at one meet but I'd have to ask the owner or someone who knows him. I can't even remember his screen name at the moment...

[size=1][color=skyblue]--
0==[color=blue]WW[/color]==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush[/color][/size]

porkchop 11-25-2003 08:21 AM

PJ from Gruppe-s had the maxim works headers which was equal length. We always made fun of him because it made his car sound like a honda. :D

the header gave me more mid range and top end, and actually made my exhaust quieter at idle and low rpms, but louder at WOT/higher RPMs

Tommy
[url]www.mpjperformance.com[/url]

odyss3y 11-25-2003 09:22 AM

I've got the Gruppe-S header as well. I haven't installed it yet (hopefully tonight before the meet). I'll try to remember to make an mp3 or something with before and after notes.

:banana: Gruppe-S GT Spec 2 Header :banana:

international B 11-25-2003 11:00 AM

pjs car did sound like a honda. the gruppe-s header does NOT make the car sound like a honda.

dont you have it tommy?

02silversuby 11-25-2003 11:03 AM

Thanks guys, am trying to go best bang for my buck. I guess i will order them.

-Adam

1WRX2NV 11-25-2003 10:04 PM

I have this header set up. I LOVE IT!! I might add that with this header and the TXS TBE it sounded mean...BUT had had a slight "raspy" sound to it, as it climbed to WOT (sorta like a honda, but not).

Now, I have the BPM TBE with the same header and NO "raspy" sound...just VERY sporty...like a porche I guess you could say. I liked how both exhausts sounded but I tent to like this set-up more.

Anyway, the header is good and so it the price.

-freddie

dr3d1zzl3 11-25-2003 10:07 PM

how is your car running man you been away for a while wtf is that!

03blauWRX 11-25-2003 10:17 PM

I have the HKS exhaust manifold. Mine sounds totally different now. It is an equal length tubing. It sort of still has a slight hint of the boxer sound, but nothing like it did before. Much louder now, too....not sure if I want that. My car is a little too loud with the manifold, up-pipe, down-pipe, and cat-back :(

Oh well