If you could bring one person from the past into modern times, who would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by VRT Gump
Eve, so i could see if the fruit was really worth it
"You know what? It doesn't matter. Because in your heart you know, that the juice is worth the squeeze. That's what moral fiber's all about. "
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
King Khufu of ancient Egypt.

I want to know how and why those pyramids are built the way they are. I'm sure he could help with uncovering many other things about ancient Egypt too.
Imhotep would be a better choice for that:

"As one of the officials of the Pharaoh, Djosèr, he designed the Pyramid of Djoser (the Step Pyramid) at Saqqara in Egypt in 2630–2611 BC[9]. He may have been responsible for the first known use of columns in architecture. As an instigator of Egyptian culture, Imhotep's idealized image lasted well into the Ptolemaic period. The Egyptian historian Manetho credited him with inventing the method of a stone-dressed building during Djoser's reign, though he was not the first to actually build with stone. Stone walling, flooring, lintels, and jambs had appeared sporadically during the Archaic Period, though it is true that a building of the Step Pyramid's size and made entirely out of stone had never before been constructed. Before Djoser, pharaohs were buried in mastaba tombs."
Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
^^^^

This is why my license to bring people back from the dead has been revoked.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
I would liek to bring that dead hooker back i have buried out in the backyard... she was pretty good
Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by iLoqin
I'm sorry to break it to you, but he never existed. No records from historians at that time ever cited him at all. You can believe in the folk tale, but he was never reality. Just a figment of imagination.
you are such a d-bag, just stfu iloqin, you are so ****ing one sided. if someone told you the sky was really green and everyone else thought the sky was green and we had 10000000 facts proving the sky is green , you would still say its blue because someone told you that they found facts they heard from someone, that the sky might be blue.

everytime you post something that you say is fact and no one has proven otherwise, someone is always able to post somethign against yoru argument, we are all sick of watchign you kill threads.

you have no idea if jesus existed, all you know is you have read what someone didnt believe in that no records from historians of the time cited him at all. there si al whole group of peopel that can argue otherwise. god dammit just shut up!!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
iLoqin, you seriously need to stop with your anti-religious stuff... We got it the first time, and the 45th time, we don't want to hear it the 563rd time.

And I'm not even religious!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 PM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
I would bring back Steve Irwin and go on a crocodile hunt.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by Roo
Funny you should mention Nostradamus - he is my #1 pick for people to bring back.
+1 for Nostradamus, I'd like to ask him what he meant in his predictions, and possibly ask him to predict future events
Old 06-04-2009, 02:36 AM

Car Info: 4日本車
Albert Einstein, no question about it.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by vodka
Albert Einstein, no question about it.
He gets way too much credit. No doubt he was brilliant, but he stood on the shoulders of mathematical giants to do what he did.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
He gets way too much credit. No doubt he was brilliant, but he stood on the shoulders of mathematical giants to do what he did.
That's true, and Da Vinci was faaaar more brilliant than Einstein could ever wish to be.

I can't imagine what Da Vinci would be capable of if he was alive in our time. Imagine if he was the head engineer for Subaru and was in charge of designing the Impreza, making it powerful and efficient as possible, we'd have a car that has 600hp, weighs 2500lbs, and gets 56mpg.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Way too much credit? I think you underestimate the paradigm-shattering nature of relativity. We would not know a vast majority of what we do know were it not for Einstein's revelations. You can thank Einstein for our understanding of modern physics. Without him, we wouldn't understand the true nature of mass and energy (E = mc2), he explained that electromagnetism was a single force (special relativity), he explained what gravity is (general relativity), the very nature of reality (space-time in general relativity), how light functions (photons and wave-particle duality), set the foundation for quantum physics, and so on, and so on.

Also, diminishing his contribution by saying that he relied on prior work is a logical fallacy. All of science is built upon previous layers of the works of geniuses.

Originally Posted by brucelee
That's true, and Da Vinci was faaaar more brilliant than Einstein could ever wish to be.
This strikes me as a very subjective statement which can't be substantiated; Da Vinci was an inventor and an artist, Einstein was a physicist and a humanitarian. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

And didn't you study physics of some kind for a while? I seem to recall you having more than a passing interest in it -- I'd expect this kind of comment from someone who doesn't really have any knowledge of physics.

If anything, Einstein is under-appreciated by the world at large, as evidenced by these posts.

Originally Posted by brucelee
I can't imagine what Da Vinci would be capable of if he was alive in our time. Imagine if he was the head engineer for Subaru and was in charge of designing the Impreza, making it powerful and efficient as possible, we'd have a car that has 600hp, weighs 2500lbs, and gets 56mpg.
We'd have that now if the auto industry weren't in collusion with the oil industry.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Way too much credit? I think you underestimate the paradigm-shattering nature of relativity. We would not know a vast majority of what we do know were it not for Einstein's revelations. You can thank Einstein for our understanding of modern physics. Without him, we wouldn't understand the true nature of mass and energy (E = mc2), he explained that electromagnetism was a single force (special relativity), he explained what gravity is (general relativity), the very nature of reality (space-time in general relativity), how light functions (photons and wave-particle duality), set the foundation for quantum physics, and so on, and so on.

Also, diminishing his contribution by saying that he relied on prior work is a logical fallacy. All of science is built upon previous layers of the works of geniuses.
Thanks for the E=MC^2 since I've never heard of it before.

The concept of relativity already existed. Nearly all the pieces of the puzzle for this theory were already in place before Einstein. He just happened to find that the speed of light was constant which also happened to be the final piece of the puzzle.

He made key contributions to existing theories and commonly gets credited for the entire theory themselves. Again, brilliant man, but gets too much credit.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the E=MC^2 since I've never heard of it before.

The concept of relativity already existed. Nearly all the pieces of the puzzle for this theory were already in place before Einstein. He just happened to find that the speed of light was constant which also happened to be the final piece of the puzzle.

He made key contributions to existing theories and commonly gets credited for the entire theory themselves. Again, brilliant man, but gets too much credit.
Sources and proof, please. If what you say is true, then the entire scientific community is living a lie. Which "existing theories" are you referring to? And "happened to find .. speed of light was constant"? He came up with the idea of the cosmological constant and mathematically proved it in a time when there was no ability to conduct physical experiments on such things -- yet you make it sound like he just stumbled across that info in a Reader's Digest one day.

Since you're so sure, it should be no problem for you to provide names and examples of the scientists and theories you keep referring to.

I get the distinct feeling that you just heard about all this from some random source one day and took it as truth. From your usage above, it doesn't even sound like you understand what relativity is in the context of physics -- which I don't mean as an insult, there's no reason you would know unless you studied it.

Last edited by saqwarrior; 06-04-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 PM

Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology
By Max Jammer

This book touches on the subject, however it is intertwined with the philosophical side of his work. Einstein found the constant that tied previous theories together and proving them.

I don't have time at the moment, but the theory of relativity does have a timeline of the work of other physicists. Technically the basic concept dates back to Newton, Einstein's addition of a constant ironed out the flaws to make it near perfect.

Quick Reply: If you could bring one person from the past into modern times, who would you choose?