i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   How much did your 30K service cost at a local dealership? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/how-much-did-your-30k-service-cost-local-dealership-46983/)

mmboost 02-01-2004 08:57 AM

How much did your 30K service cost at a local dealership?

Anyone? Beuller? Bueller? How much did it cost and to which dealership did you go?

Also, here's a list of the items shown on the 30k service listing. Red asterisk items are the things I do not want the dealership to do but can do or have done myself. As for suspension, should I even have them check it if I have aftermarket springs?

[size=4][b][color=green]*[/color][/b][/size]Inspect Steering and suspension

I dont know enough about suspensions to feel I can inspect one for safetey, etc.

[size=4][b][color=green]*[/color][/b][/size]Inspect - Clutch operation

I dont know enough about clutches, and I want their opinion about how it feels, shudder issues, etc

[size=4][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][/size]Perform - Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Changed out the brake lines for SS ones already.

[size=4][b][color=green]*[/color][/b][/size]Inspect - Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

I dont need anything done with the brakes, but inspecting the axle boots and axle shaft joint portions would be good

[size=4][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][/size]Replace - Brake fluid

Already done.

[size=4][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][/size]Inspect - Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)

Already done... multiple times.

[size=4][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][/size]Replace - Spark plugs

Not done yet, but I want to put a level colder plug in myself soon.

[size=4][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][/size]Replace - Air cleaner element

Gimme a break.

[size=4][b][color=green]*[/color][/b][/size]Perform - Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections

I know next to nothing about fuel systems parts. Duty cycle, etc, yes. Hoses and filter condition, no :D Is this pretty easy? What's an "inspection" like? If I feel I can do this myself... really do it... I will.

[size=4][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][/size]Perform - Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections

What's this really mean? Just look for leaks and check fluid level? Then replace coolant? I'd rather just get a flush kit and do it myself.

[size=4][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][/size]Replace - Engine oil filter

Um, no.

thanx,

jason

crash n burn 02-01-2004 09:24 AM

It will vary, but typically from $300-$550 is what I've seen.

mmboost 02-01-2004 09:30 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by crash n burn [/i]
[B]It will vary, but typically from $300-$550 is what I've seen. [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, I can search I-Club too ;) I want to know deal-specific prices like my question asks for.

thanx though,

jason

WRXncrew 02-01-2004 09:57 AM

Never take it to the dealer unless you want to get reamed or you have 'warranty' work needed. It really sounds like you are capable of doing it yourself. Other options are taking it another shop whom you trust and does good work.

mmboost 02-01-2004 10:25 AM

Well, I have many "SubaruBucks" from my credit card. So its its less than$500, it'd be free. This is why I want to go to a dealership. However, I can use SubaruBucks (from MBNA and Chase) to pay for things like performance parts from subaruparts.com and subaruwrxparts.com ... the less I spend on the 30k servier, the more can go to parts :)

jason

dorifto88 02-01-2004 10:35 AM

i forgot the exact dollar amount, but it was over 6 bills in senator subaru in sac area

Nick Koan 02-01-2004 10:44 AM

$275 at Maita Subaru in Sacramento about 2 months ago. And they didn't try to sell me anything extra, or tell me something is broken that isn't, or other BS like that.

redrex 02-01-2004 11:20 AM

When it came time to get my 30K service done, Carlsen Subaru quoted me a figure close to $500. However, the 30K service was more inspection and the key things they needed to change were:

-Oil and filter
-Coolant Flush
-Fuel Filter
-Spark plugs
-Brake fluid flush

I ended up going to MPJ/GB motorsports and was able to use better parts the parts I want (Motul 600, Mobile 1 synthetic, colder plugs) and paid less than what Carlsen quoted. If you know of a shop that can do the same for you, I suggest to save your SubaruBucks for other goodies and have the service done there. Just make sure they give you an itemized receipt so you can keep the service record for future reference.

-Soren