i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   HKS Hi Power catback install question (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/hks-hi-power-catback-install-question-202814/)

kinkers 04-21-2009 03:20 PM

HKS Hi Power catback install question

should i use the subaru donut gasket at the cat or use the flat metal gasket from HKS to install? I'm installing the HKS Hi Power catback. Not sure if this matters.

thanks,
kevin

sigma pi 04-21-2009 03:44 PM

what kind of DP

kinkers 04-21-2009 03:51 PM

OEM. only installing a catback to the factory dp/cats.

sigma pi 04-21-2009 04:00 PM

i think you have to use the dough nut

the 3 inch flat wouldnt mate up to the OE DP

but i havent doen that in a few years now so im not 80% sure

kinkers 04-21-2009 06:12 PM

jezus these spring loaded nuts are impossible. i didnt have a problem with my spt install but putting this HKS on is ridonkulous.

any tips?

woocabin 04-21-2009 06:25 PM

yes.

i couldnt install my hks catback with stock springs either. i put on one side and couldnt get the either. the oem nuts wont work, the only reason spt worked is cuz its still subaru and has a smaller thickeness where the two pipes meet.

what i did was found some other nutsboltsandsprings that work with the thickness of the pipe ends. Honda's worked perfectly for me. go to a local car part shop and look for the same part but with a longer bolt.

woocabin 04-21-2009 06:26 PM

+ maybe we can get VTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCC

kinkers 04-21-2009 06:37 PM

ok, started with removing the donut and that allows the fit correctly. With the donut in, i got one side barely on but never coulda gotten the second. i'll try this and see if it leaks. if it does, i'll go get better bolts. i was searching for some instrux online but couldnt find anything in particular.

kinkers 04-21-2009 07:13 PM

crap. leaks at the cat. not huge, but i feel it on the top. i'll have to swop the nuts and use the donut or maybe double up the gasket.

doesnt sound much different than my SPT though. At least I thought it would be a bigger difference. i'll try it for a week or so before i fix the gasket and then maybe even just sell the hks and leave the spt. bummer.

woocabin 04-21-2009 09:29 PM

the hks should be a lot louder.

Mine leaks a little too but do leaks relaly matter? if it was an intake id be scared but its just air leaving the exhaust ...

kinkers 04-21-2009 09:43 PM

well, for the sound, keep in mind i'm fully stock catted. I'm starting to notice a bit more sound from it as i drive it more (it was new) so maybe i should break it in a bit.

Good point with the leak. I'd still like to seal it up if I can. It should not be very hard to do.

kevin

woocabin 04-21-2009 10:00 PM

haha maybe its just me but i like the sound of exhaust leaks =]