i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Good bye OEM Turbo Oil Drain, Hello -10AN (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/good-bye-oem-turbo-oil-drain-hello-10an-232289/)

kmurphy 10-27-2011 01:01 PM

lol....i want something a little more luxury with good performance and an automatic. I have what i want in mind, just need to figure out how to get it and is it something that i really want.

c0rehax 10-27-2011 03:34 PM

wow just read through the thread and just wanted to say awesome work.. there's some stuff on there i'd be interested in..

rau 10-27-2011 03:51 PM

kmurphy you has PM

kmurphy 10-27-2011 07:55 PM

thank you, always a work in progress.

I finished the intercooler today after work. I also welded in the radiator shroud piece to cover the gap between the core and top radiator support. Its all one piece and looks really nice. I also welded in brackets for the flex a lite fan i bought. I got a 16" flex a lite fan that pulls around 2300 cfm, so cooling shouldnt be much of an issue. My large radius bends arrive tomorrow as well. I'll be running 2.5" intercooler piping with a 3" blow thru section. The bends will be a large 5" radius for long sweeping bends to keep efficiency high. trying to make the "system" work as efficiently as possible and make max hp on my little setup :)

xtremeyolks 10-27-2011 08:00 PM

Max hp on my little setup too??? :)

kmurphy 10-27-2011 08:18 PM

yes sir......once my car is done. We can start on your setup. Got your setup and Pauls cage and other fab work next. i have your radiator and endtanks here with all the machiend pieces ready to go. need to have another set of endtanks made as well for your intercooler.

c0rehax 10-28-2011 10:20 AM

"little".. haha.. havent forgot about getting those flares from ya karlton... just gotta get some stuff in line with the car before i get em.. you like ur's murphy?

kmurphy 10-28-2011 11:48 AM

ya i like em, need to buy some fiberglass filler to fill in some gaps and build up some areas on the flares. Still need to isntall my 4th flare on the d-side rear. The rear section takes quite a bit of time to do. But it all depends on how you do it. It seems a lot of people just bend up some of the portion you dont cut on the wheel wells, other epoxy it together. I welded mine back together which is a much more in length process due to getting the wheel well and body sheet metal formed back to eachother nicely and then welded together. Fitment is key on this since the sheet metal is so thin.

c0rehax 10-28-2011 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=kmurphy;3157850]ya i like em, need to buy some fiberglass filler to fill in some gaps and build up some areas on the flares. Still need to isntall my 4th flare on the d-side rear. The rear section takes quite a bit of time to do. But it all depends on how you do it. It seems a lot of people just bend up some of the portion you dont cut on the wheel wells, other epoxy it together. I welded mine back together which is a much more in length process due to getting the wheel well and body sheet metal formed back to eachother nicely and then welded together. Fitment is key on this since the sheet metal is so thin.[/QUOTE]

sounds like you need to do my fitment.. lol.. i asked if any of his other customers had "molded" the flares and he said someone was currently working on having that done and it's what i wanted to do. yea i tried to follow teh_clap's writeup on the install and thoughts on them and it appears he cut the fender wells, your saying not to..? i really need to find a bodyshop cause i live in the blackhole car wise here on the monterey peninsula.. lol.. any thoughts or ideas..?

kmurphy 10-28-2011 01:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
no you definitely have to cut to take advantage of them, theres jsut different ways of going abotu sealing it back up after cutting. I cut a lot of my body.

[ATTACH]117671[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]117672[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]117673[/ATTACH]

xtremeyolks 10-28-2011 01:37 PM

Yea definitely have to cut the metal away to take advantage of flares, otherwise if you just stick them on you'll still rub the tires. Kelly is the sheetmetal a little wavy from the heat? That's what I was afraid of with mine, so I just used the auto panel adhesive to glue the inner and outer metal back together. You did cut A LOT away lol.

xtremeyolks 10-28-2011 01:38 PM

And hopefully soon the car I was talking to you about will be done. I can't wait to see the flares molded in. Should look amazing!

c0rehax 10-28-2011 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=xtremeyolks;3157892]And hopefully soon the car I was talking to you about will be done. I can't wait to see the flares molded in. Should look amazing![/QUOTE]

yes cause i really want to go this way instead of widebody.. too many of them out there.. murphy are you also cutting away at the rear bumper to get the correct fitment..? that is quite a bit of cutting but i wouldn't be scared to do something like that if its whats needed.. i also plan on trying to run 295's, what size wheel you have..?

xtremeyolks 10-28-2011 02:04 PM

Pretty sure Kelly has 18x10.5 +15 with a 295/30/18. Several are running 315s no problem. I've done up to a 11.5 +0 no problem too ROFL.

kmurphy 10-28-2011 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=xtremeyolks;3157890]Yea definitely have to cut the metal away to take advantage of flares, otherwise if you just stick them on you'll still rub the tires. Kelly is the sheetmetal a little wavy from the heat? That's what I was afraid of with mine, so I just used the auto panel adhesive to glue the inner and outer metal back together. You did cut A LOT away lol.[/QUOTE]

Thats where my car was rear ended, not sure if you remember my dented door and the big dent in the qtr panel. I cut a lot of that material out when i did the flare and then pushed it out once i could get inside the wheel well. Thats solved most of it, and some of it is an optical illusion due to the griding with the die grinder to remove the paint. Its not perfect due to the accident, but its not due to the heat. I welded it with think .030" mild steel filler rod and very very low amps, so heat wasnt much of an issue.