i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Good bye OEM Turbo Oil Drain, Hello -10AN (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/good-bye-oem-turbo-oil-drain-hello-10an-232289/)

SkizzDawg 06-29-2011 01:53 PM

How much for One of those sexy pieces?

kmurphy 07-30-2011 02:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my new custom radiator I made in solidworks. 1/8" aluminum lasered and cnc bent endtanks. Machined inlets and outlets, machined filler neck. The bung I dont have yet as I spaced on that part. All the fittings will be welded from the inside for a nice clean sleek install. Core is from a high end radiator supplier in the U.S and not some cheap chinese core. Anyways here it is mocked up and ready for welding once i get the bung for the drain setup.

[ATTACH]121034[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]121035[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]121036[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]121037[/ATTACH]

EQ Tuning 07-30-2011 03:02 PM

purrrty ;)

mokeOne 07-30-2011 03:16 PM

damn, that oil fitting is clean! i want!

kmurphy 07-31-2011 08:57 AM

thanks

stupidchicken03 07-31-2011 09:10 AM

That is nice lookin

queeg9k 08-18-2011 12:31 PM

kmurphy judging by your pics you seem like the right person to ask about welders. I would like to get into welding and would like some input on what kind/style to get. I am leaning more towards a TIG as I hear they make some of the cleanest welds. However they are supposed to be harder to learn right? Wire feed MIG should be easier to learn but they spatter and you have less control?

Me and a friend want to go halves on one we have about $1200 to spend-what are some good brands to look at and some features we need or don't need.

Thanks for any input you can give on the matter.

kmurphy 08-18-2011 12:43 PM

I just sold my lincoln precision tig 185 for 1200 with a big bottle. I suggest learning tig welding. I think everything else is just a "waste" of time. Tig is all about practice and training your body to control 3 things, where your tungsten is at, your foot adjusting your amperage, and your other hand placing the filler. At first its kinda mess but after awhile everything flows together. Everyone seems to prefer miller for tig welders especially if you go the dyansty route which i will when i have 6k sitting in my pocket, but i loved my lincoln precision tig unit. I have 2 syncrowaves that i use at work, and i prefer the lincoln unit to them. The lincolns you can find for that 1,200-1,500 range.

Once you have a welder you'll find a million uses for it.

JuanitoBurrito 08-18-2011 01:56 PM

Wow.....How many years have you been welding? It looks great!

Volkey 08-18-2011 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=queeg9k;3117402]kmurphy judging by your pics you seem like the right person to ask about welders. I would like to get into welding and would like some input on what kind/style to get. I am leaning more towards a TIG as I hear they make some of the cleanest welds. However they are supposed to be harder to learn right? Wire feed MIG should be easier to learn but they spatter and you have less control?

Me and a friend want to go halves on one we have about $1200 to spend-what are some good brands to look at and some features we need or don't need.

Thanks for any input you can give on the matter.[/QUOTE]

Mig with an argon/oxygen tank and you will be putting out clean, smooth welds, great to learn on (((oh, and no splatter either:cool:)))

OneManArmy 08-18-2011 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=queeg9k;3117402]kmurphy judging by your pics you seem like the right person to ask about welders. I would like to get into welding and would like some input on what kind/style to get. I am leaning more towards a TIG as I hear they make some of the cleanest welds. However they are supposed to be harder to learn right? Wire feed MIG should be easier to learn but they spatter and you have less control?

Thanks for any input you can give on the matter.[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for a used welder try jalopy journal. Those dudes are always selling welders.

kmurphy 08-18-2011 03:09 PM

theres almost always splatter with mig. Mig is so easy to learn its not worth learning first atleast to me. I choose to learn tig welding first. Even though i rarely and i mean rarely pick up a mig, its easy to do because you apply the same things you learned with tig to mig.

With tig i can weld stainless, inconel, titanium, aluminum, mild steel all with the same torch and tungsten, all i need is different filler. Try that with a mig.

If you want something with versatility and produces clean nice welds than go with tig.

kmurphy 08-19-2011 12:13 PM

you might also want to look for a used miller diversion, its a nice little tig. Its a inverter based machine so it draws little power and is used on 110v plug. Its the nice of a small suitcase so its easy to tote around. Can be had for a little over 1k.

kmurphy 08-20-2011 06:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]119921[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]119922[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]119923[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]119924[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]119925[/ATTACH]

kmurphy 08-20-2011 06:43 PM

and thats why you learn tig welding tig > everything else