i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Does CalTrans count the stocks tires as snow tires? im thinking of going to tahoe... (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/does-caltrans-count-stocks-tires-snow-tires-im-thinking-going-tahoe-79507/)

blue blurr 11-13-2004 09:46 PM

Does CalTrans count the stocks tires as snow tires? im thinking of going to tahoe...

as the title states, im thinking of going up to tahoe sometime this winter and i was wondering if CalTrans excepts the wrx has a awd w/ snow tires, or will i need chains?

4XREX 11-13-2004 10:59 PM

they will never even look at your tires. they will just wave you past the check point. they all know what a wrx looks like anymore. they always shut the road down before they make AWD cars put chains on. (on HWY 88)

AzN121184 11-13-2004 11:51 PM

the re92's are supposed to work in snow.

razorlab 11-14-2004 12:57 AM

As long as your tires are Mud and Snow rated they are ok. the stock RE92's are so you are fine.

Rad One 11-14-2004 01:08 AM

all subarus get waived unless its real obvious that your tires cant handle the snow

razorlab 11-14-2004 01:15 AM

[QUOTE=Rad One]all subarus get waived unless its real obvious that your tires cant handle the snow[/QUOTE]

With that in mind... please people, use your head and not try to drive in snow with summer rated tires. please. :)

Littleboyblue 11-14-2004 01:40 AM

On a similar note, I'm heading up to tahoe also this winter and was wonder if there is anything that I should do before I take the wrx on its virgin voyage to tahoe?

razorlab 11-14-2004 01:46 AM

[QUOTE=Littleboyblue]On a similar note, I'm heading up to tahoe also this winter and was wonder if there is anything that I should do before I take the wrx on its virgin voyage to tahoe?[/QUOTE]

If you plan on staying overnight there make sure you have a good antifreeze ratio coolant (some people run almost all water for track conditions) and also have windshield sprayer fluid that has antifreeze in it (not the engine kind)

Also carry a box of chains in the back just in-case the chain guy asks to see them. Sucks to have to turn around because of that!

Pray for snow!

Rad One 11-14-2004 02:08 AM

[QUOTE=razorlab]

Also carry a box of chains in the back just in-case the chain guy asks to see them. Sucks to have to turn around because of that!

QUOTE]

if you've never taken your wrx to the snow yet, take it slow when you start seeing snow. dont think that just cause you have a suabru that nothing can stop you. get the feel of how you car handles in the snow. and definitely carry chains just in case. if you suabru handles that well w/o the chains, can you imagine how it'll handle with chains? anyway better safe than sorry

p.s. most importantly, have a good time

ldivinag 11-14-2004 03:35 AM

keep a good distance to the car in front of you...

you aint petter solberg with spiked/studded tires... lol....

OwlBoogie 11-14-2004 03:45 AM

Word. AWD has nothing to do with brakes.

AntiochCali 11-14-2004 06:00 AM

RE-92's are okay in the snow

S0-3's are NOT okay in the snow

Not all vehical inspectors know what an Impreza is. I was asked recently, what kind of car I was driving.

psoper 11-14-2004 08:50 AM

I disagree with the person who said "they won't even look at your tires"- they might not, but its happened to me where even though there was M+S on the sidewall, the guy making the call said I didn't have enough tread and I had to put chains on.

So, I wouldn't risk trying to get up there with bald tires either, RE092's are M+S rated but if their down to wear bars, they are very unsafe in snow.

HomerJay 11-14-2004 08:55 AM

You should be fine. I still recommend getting winter tires if you go up quite a bit like I do. Just worth the peace of mind.

blue blurr 11-14-2004 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=razorlab]If you plan on staying overnight there make sure you have a good antifreeze ratio coolant (some people run almost all water for track conditions) and also have windshield sprayer fluid that has antifreeze in it (not the engine kind)

Pray for snow![/QUOTE]

Is the stock mixture alright? i havent changed the anitfreez or anything like that.