i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   The day has finally come! My baby arrived today! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/day-has-finally-come-my-baby-arrived-today-187715/)

wombatsauce 07-09-2008 03:44 PM

Weird, that doesn't look like a baby. I rented a Springfield 1911 a few weeks ago at Reed's but I thought it was a 9mm. It was pretty sweet and very easy to use. My friend brought his Sig P226 which was fooking awesome and made the 1911 feel like a .22 when I got it back. Anyway the Springfield was a very nice piece and I was getting really consistent groupings as well. I want to go back one of these days and I think my friend does too. My wife says she wants to give it a try as well. Reeds meet! :D

Irrational X 07-09-2008 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=brucelee;2251599]Walther WA2000. First production bull pup rifle and one of the most elite sniper rifles in the world.[/QUOTE]

thats what i thought.... does thou own?

brucelee 07-09-2008 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=wombatsauce;2252788]Weird, that doesn't look like a baby. I rented a Springfield 1911 a few weeks ago at Reed's but I thought it was a 9mm. It was pretty sweet and very easy to use. My friend brought his Sig P226 which was fooking awesome and made the 1911 feel like a .22 when I got it back. Anyway the Springfield was a very nice piece and I was getting really consistent groupings as well. I want to go back one of these days and I think my friend does too. My wife says she wants to give it a try as well. Reeds meet! :D[/QUOTE]

Meh, 9mm and 1911 don't belong in the same sentence. Sure, some are pretty sweet, but I hardly consider them 1911s anymore. A real and true 1911 is .45 ONLY, and full size, so 5" or more. Subcompact 1911s are lame. The gun wasnt designed to be anything smaller than 5" so when you reduce the size you compromise its reliability. I've had issues with EVERY single subcompact 1911 that Ive ever fired, and I know many others with the same experiences.

If you're going to have or shoot a 1911, please make sure its a proper one. There is a big difference, believe me.

I've also fired a 9mm 5" 1911, and as cool as the gun was, it still wasn't a real 1911. Its great for target practice because the ammo is cheap, but like you said, the recoil doesn't feel right and the .45 just has so much more sex appeal to it.

The reason the sig P226 felt like it had more bang is because of the design of both guns, the 1911 9mms have very little recoil due to the design, but I can promise you that the 1911 9mm was much more accurate than the Sig P226! :D

I'm not knocking the 226, its a great pistol, but I'd never own one because they are so expensive and there are so many other guns to be had over the Sig. If I got any sig, it'd be the P220... VERY nice .45 that blows the P226 or P229 our of the water, well in my opinion at least.

Also, to answer the question about the Walther WA2000 sniper rifle that is shown in my avatar, No, I do not own one. The reason being is their going rate is in the ballpark of about $70,000 (yes, SEVENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS)... They are VERY rare and are all stored away in collections all over the world. The closest thing to getting one is buy a 10/22 rifle, and there's a guy out there somewhere that builds EXACT replicas based of a 10/22 chassis. The only downfall is that it's a .22, but the build quality is so amazing that you'd never know. They go for a little over $1,000, and one day I plan to get one. There's no way I'd ever spend $70k on a rifle!!! LOL!

Some people love them and think they are amazing works of art/engineering, others think they are "ugly". Mostly from folks not into guns. How can you say no to this!?

[img]http://homepage3.nifty.com/sweeper/gun/s_rifle/wa2000b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/blakes_airsoft/asahi/wa2000a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.scaar.at/airsoft/wa2000-1.jpg[/img]

BEST RIFLE EVER!!!

Seriously, if I had the choice of one pistol, one shotgun, and one rifle for the rest of my life, my rifle choice would be the WA2000. It's beyond awesome.

You can't tell that well, but the whole rear butt stock is adjustable as hell... The top of the butt stock moves up and down as an adjustable cheek piece. The barrel may not look very long, but since its a bull pup (which means the barrel goes all the way to the butt stock and feeds behind the trigger group) the barrel is very long and effective without creating a big huge long rifle. :) It also balances the rifle really well so you can take shots with less movement.

Calsoldier 07-09-2008 06:21 PM

I'm actually in the market for a handgun but don't want to start a whole new thread about it so I hope you don't mind me hijacking.

Anyways, I've been looking mostly at 9mm because of the cheaper ammo. So far I've shot a Glock 19, Sig P226 and the 1911. I really liked all of them, but the P226 is my favorite of the three, judging on comfort and the feeling of the recoil which I just love on that gun. I know the glock will never fail me, and is fairly cheap and the 1911 just looks badass but feels too "thin" if that makes sense.

Advice?

brucelee 07-09-2008 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Calsoldier;2252946]I'm actually in the market for a handgun but don't want to start a whole new thread about it so I hope you don't mind me hijacking.

Anyways, I've been looking mostly at 9mm because of the cheaper ammo. So far I've shot a Glock 19, Sig P226 and the 1911. I really liked all of them, but the P226 is my favorite of the three, judging on comfort and the feeling of the recoil which I just love on that gun. I know the glock will never fail me, and is fairly cheap and the 1911 just looks badass but feels too "thin" if that makes sense.

Advice?[/QUOTE]

My advice:

NEVER buy a gun without first firing it. The reason is because EVERYONE is different in some way or another, which means that every person is going to shoot a pistol differently.

for example, my favorite pistol is a Glock 21, the reason being is because it fits my shooting style perfectly, it feels great, I'm dead accurate with it, its very reliable, etc.

I have quite a few glocks, and you'd think that you'd shoot them all similarly, but you're wrong if you think that. My Glock 17 is a GREAT pistol, the original glock, probably the most reliable auto pistol, etc, etc... Since I can shoot the G21 flawlessly, you'd think I could shoot the 17 the same... You'd be wrong again. I can't shoot my Glock 17 worth a damn! Not because of the pistol sucking because others can shoot it perfectly, but it just doesn't fit my hands correctly and thus compromising my shots.

Pick 5 pistols that you like the most (guns you've seen), then rent the said guns. Run 100 rounds through each one, then pick which one you liked the best out of the 5, and thats the gun you should get.

Basically, don't judge a gun by its cover. Every gun is different, and every person is different, so go out and try as many guns as you can before YOU make a decision. No one but you should make that decision BTW. Lots of people will recommend guns for whatever reason, you should only use those recommendations as a guide... Cuz you don't want an unreliable pistol, or one that is super high maintenance (for your first), one that breaks, etc. So when choosing your guns, make sure to choose good guns, and then choose from there.

evsoul 07-09-2008 06:53 PM

I am serious when I say this Daniel.. but I will be at your house the year 2012 when the zombies attack the earth.

brucelee 07-09-2008 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=evsoul;2252968]I am serious when I say this Daniel.. but I will be at your house the year 2012 when the zombies attack the earth.[/QUOTE]

Just make sure you bring some ammo and plenty of magnum size condoms.

kyoung05 07-09-2008 08:25 PM

If you guys are serious about doing a Reed's meet, I'd be down. I also frequent Los Altos Rod and Gun (nice drive up there) and Sunnyvale Rod and Gun as well. You guys are welcome to shoot whatever I've got. As for handguns, I have a 1911, Glock 34, Ruger GP100 (.357 magnum, but will shoot .38 special as well), and a Ruger Single Six (single-action .22lr and .22 magnum). If we go outdoors, I have a CZ 452 (.22lr), a single-shot .223, and a 12ga Remington 870 Wingmaster. Let me know.

As for the Walther $70k rifle, I am a gun-person and personally, I think it is ugly. However, I also think the G34 is the best sub-$1000 9mm, and it being a Glock, I can see the function over form argument. However, given the choice, I'd probably take a worked over Remington 700, as I don't think the Walther could be 70 times better.
________
[URL="http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_XT_660"]Yamaha xt 660 history[/URL]

brucelee 07-09-2008 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=kyoung05;2253020]If you guys are serious about doing a Reed's meet, I'd be down. I also frequent Los Altos Rod and Gun (nice drive up there) and Sunnyvale Rod and Gun as well. You guys are welcome to shoot whatever I've got. As for handguns, I have a 1911, Glock 34, Ruger GP100 (.357 magnum, but will shoot .38 special as well), and a Ruger Single Six (single-action .22lr and .22 magnum). If we go outdoors, I have a CZ 452 (.22lr), a single-shot .223, and a 12ga Remington 870 Wingmaster. Let me know.

As for the Walther $70k rifle, I am a gun-person and personally, I think it is ugly. However, I also think the G34 is the best sub-$1000 9mm, and it being a Glock, I can see the function over form argument. However, given the choice, I'd probably take a worked over Remington 700, as I don't think the Walther could be 70 times better.[/QUOTE]

It's not the fact that the WA2000 is that much better, it's the history behind the gun, its rare-factor and collectible value.

The gun was designed in secret during the 70s and was given to the most elite assasins and snipers that the German, British, and USA special teams could create. There are very few made, and it was way ahead of its time when it was first produced. I think its pretty cool that it was the first ever production Bull Pup rifle ever sold... On top of all that cool stuff, it was also a very good rifle. So you can see why it is so valuable.

As much as I want a WA2000, I'd want it for a collectors piece more than anything, however, if I was given one rifle, ANY rifle to use as my primary rifle, I wouldn't get the WA2000, I'd go all out and get a Blaser 93 LRS2 sniper rifle. It is the elite of the most elite and gives me a hard on just looking at it. :D
[img]http://world.guns.ru/sniper/blaser93.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.r93.co.uk/sei/s/4106/66.jpg[/img]

Its basically what the WA2000 was back in the 70s. O

brucelee 07-09-2008 08:45 PM

PS: We used to have meets all the time, usually at Target Masters in Milpitas.

I've seen the meets sort of dwindle down as of late due to increased prices of ammo (it has almost TRIPLED!) not to mention the price of gasoline. I think people avoid driving unless they absolutely have to. Sucks that we have met such a crappy fate. :(

I have a lot of ammo stockpiled in my other safe, ammo for every caliber I own, however I don't shoot it because I feel really guilty afterwords. I still shoot pistols, mainly 9mm and some .45, but anything else, like .308, 5.56, etc... I just can't shoot it without feeling like crap. :( I'm saving that stuff for emergencies. I hope to god that ammo prices decrease once the war is over and China finishes that big ass dam that they are making!

Lurk 07-09-2008 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=kyoung05;2253020]As for the Walther $70k rifle, I am a gun-person and personally, I think it is ugly. However, I also think the G34 is the best sub-$1000 9mm, and it being a Glock, I can see the function over form argument. However, given the choice, I'd probably take a worked over Remington 700, as I don't think the Walther could be 70 times better.[/QUOTE]

Bolt action sniper rifles are a thing of the past. Semi auto can do pretty much anything a bolt action rifle can, and do it better.

I'll take a Mk11 w/accessories over that Walther or any Remmy 700 variant.

evsoul 07-10-2008 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=brucelee;2253010]Just make sure you bring some ammo and plenty of [B]magnum size condoms.[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know what I would do with those. I have no business with magnums.

wimprezax06 07-10-2008 01:21 AM

before opening the thread, already knew is going to be a gun not car parts lol

but those pistols looks really nice.

yayitzian 07-10-2008 01:51 AM

[QUOTE=brucelee;2252955]My advice:

NEVER buy a gun without first firing it. The reason is because EVERYONE is different in some way or another, which means that every person is going to shoot a pistol differently.
[/quote]

+1. i tried out the springfield xd and some glocks just because i thought i'd like them. turns out i dont like either of them.

h&k usp .45 just feels perfect in my hands when firing, and I get the same feeling from a s&w m&p .40 when i shoot that too...although the smith and wesson feels like a toy in my hands...wierdness.

For a while now i've been doing research on what I really want to buy first...might have to continue searching...I'd like to get the USP in .45, but...it's just so expensive =(