Camber bolt slipped in the rear. Car still safe to drive to a shop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:51 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Apetrons suggestions were for full functionality, if you aren't serious about specs, then take it out for your own sake before another slippage occurs lol. But yea, Heedz wasn't reading so gave out the wrong info. What was meant was that you correct the camber to as close of a dial you can so you won't have as much of negative camber while driving to your preferred alignment shop. I think that adjusting the camber bolt, in your situation, would be easier than to adjust the plates up top. Its basically what the shop has to do anyways lol.

As for the camber bolt slipping... damn I run 2 in the front and 1 in the rear and havent had any slippages yet... *knock on wood* soo... I wonder who and how much they tightened your bolts lol. No plates yet, but that will be in the future.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Apetrons suggestions were for full functionality, if you aren't serious about specs, then take it out for your own sake before another slippage occurs lol. But yea, Heedz wasn't reading so gave out the wrong info. What was meant was that you correct the camber to as close of a dial you can so you won't have as much of negative camber while driving to your preferred alignment shop. I think that adjusting the camber bolt, in your situation, would be easier than to adjust the plates up top. Its basically what the shop has to do anyways lol.

As for the camber bolt slipping... damn I run 2 in the front and 1 in the rear and havent had any slippages yet... *knock on wood* soo... I wonder who and how much they tightened your bolts lol. No plates yet, but that will be in the future.
Yeah I'll try to even it out in the mean time before I can get realigned.

I do a bit of hooning on some backroads and they definitely aren't the best roads in the world so I suspect it slipped from the added stress from bouncing and sliding around. I'm sure it wouldn't slip on a real track.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by Jodice112
I'm not good with camber bolts but I can check the Nasioc thread on how to set camber with it.
It's easy to roughly adjust it.

Don't remove the bolt, just loosen the nut. Then eye it to the correct position and then tighten to at least 75ft/lbs.

The bigger question is: why did it slip?

Do you hit something? Was it not torqued correctly? Was it not installed correctly?
Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
It's easy to roughly adjust it.

Don't remove the bolt, just loosen the nut. Then eye it to the correct position and then tighten to at least 75ft/lbs.

The bigger question is: why did it slip?

Do you hit something? Was it not torqued correctly? Was it not installed correctly?
No I never hit anything and I doubt the guy who worked on my car installed it incorrectly. Could be from sliding and hopping around on crappy back roads. I think I'll just take it easy from now on.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
There should also be included instructions on how to set your aftermarket camber bolt in the package, if you bought them brand new lol.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by apetron
It allows you to dial in camber and maintain a safe distance for the wheel away from the strut or coilover. Especially if you are running relatively wide wheels and tires.

Example - You want to run -2.0 in the rear

You would dial in something like -2.5 or so on the camber plates.

Then using the camber bolts push the wheel out so that your overall camber is -2.0.

This will allow you to run the appropriate camber you want while maintaining distance between your suspension components.

On my current setup I am running 18x10.5 with a 275 tire and my wheels are VERY close to my coilovers. I am ordering camber plates and keeping my bolts so that I can move the wheel away from my coilovers while still getting the camber I want.

You wouldn't be able to do this with just plates or bolts.
Ah makes sense. How safe is it to run both though since camber bolts seem to slip? If you really have to use the camber bolts and plates just to keep your wheels off the strut tower, wouldnt a slip pretty much mean huge front end damage? Im a noob when it comes to suspension btw.

No I never hit anything and I doubt the guy who worked on my car installed it incorrectly. Could be from sliding and hopping around on crappy back roads. I think I'll just take it easy from now on.
Is it safe to say that aggressive driving and camber bolts dont mix?

Last edited by FXTbrah; 05-23-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Ah makes sense. How safe is it to run both though since camber bolts seem to slip? If you really have to use the camber bolts and plates just to keep your wheels off the strut tower, wouldnt a slip pretty much mean huge front end damage? Im a noob when it comes to suspension btw.
This is for the rear, the front's typically have more clearance (From my experience on my car) and have a factory camber bolt already installed in the top slot.

At any point if the wheel is actually touching the suspension there are other problems that need figuring out. I can't imagine that a slip in the camber bolt would result in catastrophic damage unless your wheels were already in a place they shouldn't be.

As long as everything is installed right, and tightened properly I really see no issue with safety.

They do actually. I autox and run camber bolts with no issue as do lots of others. Also know plenty of folks who run track days with camber bolts installed and have no issue either.

Last edited by apetron; 05-23-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I'd say it was installed wrong.

I have well over 100,000 miles on this set of camber bolts and they've NEVER slipped on me and I run huge sway bars and relatively stiff suspension and I smash on roads with mad pot holes, dips, etc. Same ones you're smashing probably... i.e. fields.

trons words are dead one. I'd get everything dialed in with the set up you have. If it slips again... I don't know... I guess dump them as you can get the specs you want with either component. You don't really need both.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM
General Pimpin'

First question... It's perfectly safe. I failure in any suspension component is dangerous.

Second... the statement. That statement is false. Camber bolts and aggressive driving go together just fine. I've never had an issue with mine. I run 2 set. I have nearly 205,000 miles on my car and a LOOOOT of those are aggressive. No issues.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Thanks for the all the info!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
No problem. Most of my info comes from Gagan and then doing some digging online.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:24 PM
General Pimpin'

No problem. Most of my info comes from Gagan and then doing some digging online.
Word and word again.

I actually got my first set of bolts from Gagan. LOL.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
They do actually. I autox and run camber bolts with no issue as do lots of others. Also know plenty of folks who run track days with camber bolts installed and have no issue either.
Agreed... I've got camber bolts in the rear (also had them in the front lower for awhile). No noticeable slippage.

I've not only run track days and autox, I've run several rallyx and hit some burms enough to jarr the car (luckily did not bend anything). And most of the rallyx was at Prairie City in Rancho Cordova... which as anyone who's been there can attest to it's roughness.

PC is a mean *****.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
^Nice!!!!

I definitely did read it wrong at first.

It should be loosen bolt and turn to desired degree of camber. But without tool and such if you have a hard time I would just take it to the shop. Youre coming from Monterey area right? That is definitely a drive to CV.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:11 PM

Yeah about an hour and a half drive. I'm committed to my car though so I don't mind.

Quick Reply: Camber bolt slipped in the rear. Car still safe to drive to a shop?