i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   BS Fix it ticket (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/bs-fix-ticket-62006/)

qwk_wrx 06-06-2004 05:02 PM

BS Fix it ticket

I got a fix it ticket today in petaluma for my exhaust being too loud and i have a Turbo-xs Stainless turboback, and i know my exhaust makes the limit for the DB rating...should i fight it, or will i just get another for having the turboback?

Rocky

Zee 06-06-2004 06:10 PM

I dont know what the legal db limit is? Do you or anybody know what it is? If it is the legal limit then fight it.

Zee

SnoHumper 06-06-2004 06:15 PM

it might be under the dB limit by itself, but if u added uppipe and/or downpipe it probably got louder and maybe exceeds the limit now. my guess is the cop is jealous of ur suby.

Lurk 06-06-2004 06:20 PM

That is a BS ticket. How does he know your exhaust exceeds the 95dB limit? Are his ears as sensitive as a decibal meter? Take the ticket to court and challenge the cop. A lot of judges actually get pissed at cops for writing stupid ass tickets like that with no proof. Gluck.

Kostamojen 06-06-2004 06:43 PM

You have a turbo back, which means you removed the stock cats. If you fight it, you could end up with $6000 in fines. Im not trying to be obnoxious or anything about it, but it is a possibility.

DJTEN4 06-06-2004 07:18 PM

i agree with the above, but i would still prolly fight it, and have them put a meter right up to it, and if you dont pass who cares, take the ticket,and if you do good stuff!

Fight the man

huck 06-06-2004 07:34 PM

Damn, where's that article on the free db testing place? Someone find it!

Rocky, you'll just have to get it tested at said db testing facility and send the results into court.

huck 06-06-2004 07:41 PM

Found it!

[url]http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdPAge.asp?Menu=/includes/Menu_GenInfo.htm&Body=/Geninfo/Factsheets/Vehicle_exhaust_Noise_Level_certification-Sep_2003.htm[/url]

EndlessWaltz RS 06-06-2004 08:12 PM

Huck to the rescue!

Lurk 06-06-2004 08:36 PM

I'm not saying anyone should do this, but it seems to have worked before for a buddy of mine. He has a Integra Type-R with a Buddy Club Spec III exhaust. The thing is SUPER loud. He got pulled over and told the cop that when he bought the car, it came with the exhaust, and he gave the cop a GREDDY certificate saying their exhausts are legal or watever. Most cops can't tell what exhaust is what, so they just let him go because he has that piece of paper from his old Greddy SP exhaust. It was pretty funny.

milesmatics 06-06-2004 09:22 PM

I think I saw you right before/after you got your ticket at the intersection of D and Lakeville. Anyways, fight it through written trial! haha I don't know.

titsataki 06-06-2004 09:52 PM

you can go to the state referee. I think Subygirl got the same thing and althought she did have a TBE the referee never looked under to see if the cats or etc were there. So she passed the test and got the certificate. So it should not matter if you have a TBE. Now if you are catelss etc it may be pushing it a bit. Officers do not have to be knowledgable to what db the exchaust is. Proof is on the user to provide. But on the other hand say you get stopped (in the future ) and the officer claims that the exhcaust is too lound you say sorry it is not here is my certificate. So what happens if he gets all pissy and rips you a new one about the whole exchaust being modded/catless etc? You can be best friends with the referee :)

Cheers and good luck

Nick

SlickmisterN 06-06-2004 10:33 PM

The decible limit in California is 95db and you my friend Rocky are well below that even in the high RPM's. I got hastled once about my exhaust but i talked me way out of it. Now i keep that section of the vehicle code in my glove compartment along with the window tint section. No all I do is show them that and I say have a nice day......::mutters:: "Dick."

mexicanpizza 06-06-2004 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=SlickmisterN]...along with the window tint section. [/QUOTE]

You have a doctors note? :cool:

huck 06-06-2004 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=mexicanpizza]You have a doctors note? :cool:[/QUOTE]

I do. :D

Littleboyblue 06-06-2004 11:40 PM

What did you get pulled over for in the first place?

qwk_wrx 06-07-2004 12:10 AM

i got pulled over for doing 30 in the 30 but my exhasut was too loud... ;)

I am just going to get signed, but i would like to get my exhaust tested for DB level, so if i do get hastled agian i can show them written proof that it is legal...until they start counting cats ;) :)...

Rocky

Littleboyblue 06-07-2004 12:28 AM

Even if you get the exhaust tested and it is under the legal limit of 95db, it really doesnt matter because you are missing cats. The fine for changing the emission outputs on a car are pretty high. I think that they are in the thousand dollar range. But I would definitely get it tested for db level so if you are ever pulled over again, you can show proof that you're under the legal limit. Good luck with the ticket!

Daredevil 06-07-2004 12:36 AM

/me puts silencer on

kellie 06-07-2004 12:52 AM

Similar thing happened to me. I was following my friend through this BFE town north of Denver that's known for its huge car scene and street racing. We were sitting at a stop sign waiting for traffic to clear, and this mean, evil lady cop pulled up next to us and flipped on her lights. 5 minutes later 2 more cop cars pulled in and turned on their lights as well, so the two of us were sitting in our cars right off of main street with 3 cop cars with their lights on and I was just wondering what the hell was going on. Meanwhile, every single car that drove by was staring at us like we were felons. Finally, the mean woman cop came up to my car and yelled at me for my "modified exhaust" which was actually stock. The ticket didn't have a fine on it, but I had a required court date. A week later, I recieved a notification in the mail saying that if I failed to appear in court, they would put a warrant out for my arrest. So I had to make the hour and a half drive back to that damn town for a pointless court date. I intended to fight the ticket, but that would have required driving another hour back there for a trial which would have been way more effort than it was worth.

Long story short, I paid the $40 fine and went on my way. It's a non-moving violation, so it's not like it goes on your driving record. Sure, the city wins that way, but what's more important? Your time or the $40?

thebankman 06-07-2004 10:00 AM

Sport Compact Car magazine recently had an article on the new California referee program for "illegal cars." The car is tested and if it passes their tests, you basically get a "get out of jail free" card to show cops next time they pull you over that yes, your car's exhaust passed the decibel test and is legal.

huck 06-07-2004 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=qwk_wrx]i got pulled over for doing 30 in the 30 but my exhasut was too loud... ;)

I am just going to get signed, but i would like to get my exhaust tested for DB level, so if i do get hastled agian i can show them written proof that it is legal...until they start counting cats ;) :)...

Rocky[/QUOTE]

From what I read, getting your db tested (and passing) is the equivalent of getting the ticket wrote off. I recall reading an article where some ungodly number, like 95%, of all cars tested (that had been written up for loud exhaust) were actually below the legal limit when tested.

I'd suggest getting it tested.

BluBuru 06-07-2004 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=huck]From what I read, getting your db tested (and passing) is the equivalent of getting the ticket wrote off. I recall reading an article where some ungodly number, like 95%, of all cars tested (that had been written up for loud exhaust) were actually below the legal limit when tested.

I'd suggest getting it tested.[/QUOTE]

I'd believe this.

My guess is that most of those tickets are given out in the hope that the driver will just pay up rather than bother fighting it. (Shopping for suckers)

They nabbed my brother for this a few years back: he got it tested, passed, and the ticket went away.

PS: How in the hell to those straight-pipe Harleys here on hwy 9 get away with it?

sireatalot 06-07-2004 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=BluBuru]I'd believe this.

My guess is that most of those tickets are given out in the hope that the driver will just pay up rather than bother fighting it. (Shopping for suckers)

They nabbed my brother for this a few years back: he got it tested, passed, and the ticket went away.

PS: How in the hell to those straight-pipe Harleys here on hwy 9 get away with it?[/QUOTE]

I know man, Motorcycles are hella loud. and they're always reving whenever you have your window open at the pay toll. That's really annoying.

SlickmisterN 06-07-2004 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=mexicanpizza]You have a doctors note? :cool:[/QUOTE]
One of my best friends dad is an optomatrist.

Fatal Velocity 06-07-2004 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=huck]Found it!

[url]http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdPAge.asp?Menu=/includes/Menu_GenInfo.htm&Body=/Geninfo/Factsheets/Vehicle_exhaust_Noise_Level_certification-Sep_2003.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

hahaha if you dont have a ticket and you go here thats like turning yourself in!

huck 06-07-2004 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=Fatal Velocity]hahaha if you dont have a ticket and you go here thats like turning yourself in![/QUOTE]

Nah, read the issue of Sport Compact thebankman was referring to. Sounded pretty chill. They're not checking over your car. Just measuring your db reading.

Ex-ricer 06-07-2004 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=BluBuru]PS: How in the hell to those straight-pipe Harleys here on hwy 9 get away with it?[/QUOTE]

Motorcycles are exempt from smog, along with diesel's and of course 30 year or older vehicles.

stevedood 06-07-2004 01:52 PM

Rocky,

We've got dB meters here at work (berkeley) if you wanna check your levels. I just need to know what scale , location, and mic orientation they test at so that it correlates with the state test.
I may also be able to bring one to the MVINO...

-Steve

AWD 20T 06-07-2004 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=SnoHumper]it might be under the dB limit by itself, but if u added uppipe and/or downpipe it probably got louder and maybe exceeds the limit now. my guess is the cop is jealous of ur suby.[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone could be jealous of a Subaru...

ldivinag 06-07-2004 03:17 PM

start carrying your own radio shack meters.

the $50 cost up front is priceless when a cop goes up to you and asks, "do you know how loud your car is?"

"yes... yes i do, officer..."

huck 06-07-2004 03:17 PM

[QUOTE=ldivinag]start carrying your own radio shack meters.

the $50 cost up front is priceless when a cop goes up to you and asks, "do you know how loud your car is?"

"yes... yes i do, officer..."[/QUOTE]

Now that would be priceless.

ldivinag 06-07-2004 03:20 PM

here:

[url]http://www.radioshack.com/iphraseget.asp?perPage=25&groupBy=&sortBy=iphrase+relevance&command=text&attr1=weighting&attr2=undefined&q=25&ia=1&s=%24__session__%24&s0=iphrase+relevance%2F%2F0&t=0&i=oid&c1=i%3A770%3Bdescription%2CCategory%2Cproduct%3Bspl%2Cmeter%3B%3Aspl%2C%3Ameter%3B%2B0+%2B1&c0=e%3A140%2F%2Fotype%2F%2F%3Aeq%2F%2Fsku&s1=oid%2F%2F1&as=1&render=1&domains=rscatalog%3Aoid&w=on&text=&sf=&x=4&y=10[/url]

chomsti 06-07-2004 03:25 PM

cops aint jealous of your subaru...they could care less...im pretty sure your exhaust is too loud, almost any aftermarket parts you put onto your car is illegal. Fight it if you like, but im sure if the cop testify you will lose, cause he will know things normal citizen dont know about the law. Alot of laws are not that clear cut. Also stop your hating on cops, they pulled you over cause you got something illegal on your car, not because you drive whatever you're driving. I use to drive a modded rsx with the type r wings, bodykit, lowered... and everything, but i made sure i got my front license plate, my exhaust is stock and i got nothing big on my rearview mirror, I have never been pulled over and I lived across the st. from a police department.

GotBoost? 06-07-2004 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti]..................... I use to drive a modded rsx with the type r wings, bodykit, lowered... and everything, but i made sure i got my front license plate, my exhaust is stock and i got nothing big on my rearview mirror, I have never been pulled over [b]and I lived across the st. from a police department.[/b][/QUOTE]

maybe thats why you never got pulled over...... <shrug>

But can you just make an appt. at a ref. station for the DB test just as an "FYI" for myself without actually having a ticket? Cuz, I wouldnt mind having that "cert" in my glove box just incase. You never know.....

[quote]
[b]Originally Posted by ldivinag[/b]
start carrying your own radio shack meters.

"yes... yes i do, officer..."[/quote]

oh yea, and the DB meter in your glove box, now that WOULD BE HILARIOUS!!!!

-Ted

Ex-ricer 06-07-2004 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti]cops aint jealous of your subaru...they could care less...im pretty sure your exhaust is too loud, almost any aftermarket parts you put onto your car is illegal. Fight it if you like, but im sure if the cop testify you will lose, cause he will know things normal citizen dont know about the law. Alot of laws are not that clear cut. Also stop your hating on cops, they pulled you over cause you got something illegal on your car, not because you drive whatever you're driving.[/QUOTE]

Omg, I love this guy. Finally someone else who sticks up for the Five-O.

ldivinag 06-07-2004 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=GotBoost?]

oh yea, and the DB meter in your glove box, now that WOULD BE HILARIOUS!!!!

-Ted[/QUOTE]

i started to carry mine in the g-box after i heard stories of STi owners getting pulled over for loud exhaust... their STOCK exhaust...

that was a few months ago...

huck 06-07-2004 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti]cops aint jealous of your subaru...they could care less...im pretty sure your exhaust is too loud, almost any aftermarket parts you put onto your car is illegal. Fight it if you like, but im sure if the cop testify you will lose, cause he will know things normal citizen dont know about the law. Alot of laws are not that clear cut. Also stop your hating on cops, they pulled you over cause you got something illegal on your car, not because you drive whatever you're driving. I use to drive a modded rsx with the type r wings, bodykit, lowered... and everything, but i made sure i got my front license plate, my exhaust is stock and i got nothing big on my rearview mirror, I have never been pulled over and I lived across the st. from a police department.[/QUOTE]

Aftermarket axleback exhausts are NOT illegal. You can swap them until your faces turns blue as long as you remain below the legal db limit. Unfortunately the law is very vague when it comes to detecting too loud. Officers are not required to carry units to test sound levels. They have to use their judgement and the fact remains that 90-95% (i'll have to research the exact number) of all cars cited for loud exhaust get tested and pass below California's legal limit.

And that jealous comment was obviously a joke.

Ex-ricer 06-07-2004 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=huck]Aftermarket axleback exhausts are NOT illegal.[/QUOTE]

[i]Technically,[/i] anything you do to your car that isn't OEM can be considered illegal. Like I've said before, the CVC is very vague in certain areas and cops use that to their advantage when it comes to things for PC.

chomsti 06-07-2004 08:09 PM

bingo ex-ricer...people need to stop hating on cops who give them tickets...get a cvc book and look up the laws yourself to make sure before doing things to your car...and all those items that you buy from motorsports/online store that states "50 state legal" are all bs. They just want your money. I stick up for Five-o because I am a "Five-o," and I did drive a modded rsx and i am getting an sti in a few weeks. If I got pull over I would never id myself as a cop to get a "professional," break...I know the law and I follow it. Thats why I dont get pull over. Go to your local DMV and get yourself a free cvc book, if you cant get one there, go get one eles where. peace.

EndlessWaltz RS 06-07-2004 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti]bingo ex-ricer...people need to stop hating on cops who give them tickets...get a cvc book and look up the laws yourself to make sure before doing things to your car...and all those items that you buy from motorsports/online store that states "50 state legal" are all bs. They just want your money. I stick up for Five-o because I am a "Five-o," and I did drive a modded rsx and i am getting an sti in a few weeks. If I got pull over I would never id myself as a cop to get a "professional," break...I know the law and I follow it. Thats why I dont get pull over. Go to your local DMV and get yourself a free cvc book, if you cant get one there, go get one eles where. peace.[/QUOTE]

Very true, but that doesnt mean u have to sing and dance and be happy that u got a ticket. True, its your own fault for swapping out the exhaust, but again, you dont have to like getting a ticket.

chomsti 06-07-2004 08:34 PM

Of course not Endless, but dont hate on the cop, people always hate cops, why? because they tell us what to do, they cost us money, they cost us time...I know all that...but learn about things before doing it to make sure you cant get a ticket for it. We all speed, but when we get caught and get a ticket, me get mad at the cop...why? I dont plan to put the front license plate on my sti, and I know I have too, so If I got caught and got a fix-it ticket, I know I deserve it. People hate on cops too much...way too much. Yeah there are bad cops and that sucks, but most are pretty cool. Dont get smart with them, and more likely or not you wouldnt get a ticket. Unless youre a cop, you have no idea how hard their job is and you have no idea why they do the things they do.

EndlessWaltz RS 06-07-2004 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti]Of course not Endless, but dont hate on the cop[/QUOTE]

I didnt mean it that way at all, just pointing out that you dont have to be happy about being caught! LoL, as Im sure none of us would be. Yes, many people get pissed at the cops for pulling them over, but I think they are usually more mad at the fact that they got caught and just take it out on the officer who pulled them over. People are always gonna mod their cars and do stupid things with them, so when you do get caught, sack up and take responsibility for the mistake, if its yours anyway, police are human too. Anyway, my point remains the same, you dont have to like getting a ticket, but I should have added dont take it out on the officer as well.

Patrick

jewpac42 06-07-2004 08:48 PM

Go to the state ref and have it measured for free, then if it passes carry the cert with you in case you get pulled over again.

huck 06-07-2004 09:12 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti]Also stop your hating on cops, they pulled you over cause you got something illegal on your car, not because you drive whatever you're driving. [/QUOTE]

And Rocky aint hating on the officer. He's just asking what to do. I ain't hating neither. I have several friends that work for SFPD and I'm friendly to most every officer I meet. I'm well aware that they're just doing their job and it can be a ****ty job at times.

I'm not sure if you realized it but you walked in here for your first time and fired off a really cocky sounding post.

EndlessWaltz RS 06-07-2004 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=huck]And Rocky aint hating on the officer. He's just asking what to do. I ain't hating neither. I have several friends that work for SFPD and I'm friendly to most every officer I meet. I'm well aware that they're just doing their job and it can be a ****ty job at times.

I'm not sure if you realized it but you walked in here for your first time and fired off a really cocky sounding post.[/QUOTE].

BoxerRumble 06-07-2004 09:22 PM

chomsti, u drive a subaru right? come out to the meets, be our friend and sign off our tickets =D

chomsti 06-07-2004 09:42 PM

"I'm not sure if you realized it but you walked in here for your first time and fired off a really cocky sounding post"

Fist of all, I havent been here the first time, I have been viewing this site as well as other sti/subaru related site for a while now, I just wanted to post my 2 cents because i got tired of hearing everyone b**** about getting "BS" ticket and other crap. If my post sound "cocky," so be it. My "cocky," sounding reply is not meant to be cocky but I will tell it the way it is. I love imports, I go to shows, I read car magz during work, I love seeing modded cars on the streets, but sometimes the driver of these vehicles do very stupid things.

EndlessWaltz RS 06-07-2004 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti but sometimes the driver of these vehicles do very stupid things.[/QUOTE]

You couldnt be more right about that....I agree 100% with that, but I do know Rocky (qwk_wrx) and I seriously doubt he was doing something stupid. Just bad luck that he got popped.

And yes, of course, you are entitled to you opinion, as is everyone.

Patrick

chomsti 06-07-2004 09:53 PM

"chomsti, u drive a subaru right? come out to the meets, be our friend and sign off our tickets =D"

I dont currently drive a subaru, but I ordered my white/gold sti about a month ago and should be getting it pretty soon. I would love to go to meets and make new friends, but because of things im doing, i dont have that much time to get into it anytime soon. But if you have questions, I can "tell you what I would do," but I can not give any legal advice because I am not a lawyer. Peace.

P.S. STI rocks!!!

chomsti 06-07-2004 09:59 PM

You couldnt be more right about that....I agree 100% with that, but I do know Rocky (qwk_wrx) and I seriously doubt he was doing something stupid. Just bad luck that he got popped.

And yes, of course, you are entitled to you opinion, as is everyone.

Patrick

Patrick-In no mean did I post my relpy towards anyone here, I was just generalizing. I too have recieved a ticket before (rolling stop sign+ paid $130 went to traffic stop, did not id myself), so i know how some may feel. I will view but will not post anymore reply. If you have questions, comments...etc PM me. Later fellow subaru lovers.

Daredevil 06-07-2004 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti]"I'm not sure if you realized it but you walked in here for your first time and fired off a really cocky sounding post"

Fist of all, I havent been here the first time, I have been viewing this site as well as other sti/subaru related site for a while now, I just wanted to post my 2 cents because i got tired of hearing everyone b**** about getting "BS" ticket and other crap. If my post sound "cocky," so be it. My "cocky," sounding reply is not meant to be cocky but I will tell it the way it is. I love imports, I go to shows, I read car magz during work, I love seeing modded cars on the streets, but sometimes the driver of these vehicles do very stupid things.[/QUOTE]

i agree with most of what you say, but you sound all butt hurt about this post, maybe cause your a cop

chomsti 06-07-2004 10:02 PM

*stop

*school

EndlessWaltz RS 06-07-2004 10:02 PM

Damn, lol, Hi Max

huck 06-07-2004 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=chomsti]*stop

*school[/QUOTE]

?

Daredevil 06-07-2004 10:06 PM

the *****

chompsti: your getting all cry baby about this guy complaining about a ticket, telling him he shouldn't cry about it... well, you are crying about him crying about it? you're such a tool, lol

chomsti 06-07-2004 11:09 PM

chompsti: your getting all cry baby about this guy complaining about a ticket, telling him he shouldn't cry about it... well, you are crying about him crying about it? you're such a tool, lol

LOL, this is great...ok...ok...your reply Daredevil is one of the stupidest reply I have ever read. I guess calling other people a tool is the only way to get your point across. I guess I was "crying." No more time to wast here. Have fun b****ing about your "bs" tickets people.

Ex-ricer 06-07-2004 11:12 PM

This thread is starting to make my Buddy Christ figurine cry.

EndlessWaltz RS 06-07-2004 11:19 PM

LoL, I too withdraw

Littleboyblue 06-08-2004 02:08 AM

I had to post something after reading all of these posts. The only two things that make your exhaust illegal are; 1. If it exceeds a decibel level of 95. 2. If it changes the stock emission outputs. Other than that, you can do whatever you want to your exhaust! Im a criminal law major and Im tired of people confusing the laws. When I get all the laws regarding the rules of modifying your car, and the rules on pulling someone over, I will post them.

Heres the exhaust laws : [url]http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm[/url]

This site is the one on db level. Check out the whole site by clicking here:

[url]http://www.dmv.ca.gov/[/url]

huck 06-08-2004 09:37 AM

Thank you, littleboyblue.