i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Bay Area Driving Roads (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/bay-area-driving-roads-239170/)

JooseyJeff 02-12-2012 08:18 PM

Bay Area Driving Roads

I stumbled across this site while on bimmerforums.com: [url=http://www.unitonestudios.com/BayAreaDrivingRoads/]Bay Area Driving Roads[/url]

There are some pretty cool drives on there and they are rated in a number of categories like traffic, difficulty, etc.

I did the hwy 130 up to mt hamilton today; pretty fun road. Too many bikers (as is the case on most mountain roads in the bay area) and the road is not in the best condition when you start getting higher on the mountain, but it was fun none-the-less.

air0n'03 02-12-2012 08:55 PM

oooo nice. Looks like breaking in the new engine won't be such a bore after all :)

bluwrxwgn 02-12-2012 09:46 PM

A lot of these roads are already known to members on this site and generally dislike them being broadcasted. Mt Hamilton road especially, it's notorious for taking the lives of several cars of people trying to drive above their skill levels.

SkyeC 02-12-2012 10:00 PM

As a road cyclist, please be careful on these sorts of roads. Most of them are heavily ridden on the weekends and even the weekdays. Coming around the corner at 50+ mph doesn't leave much room to avoid a slow-moving cyclist.

I like Highway 1 and I5 through Mt Shasta for driving though. Prefer riding the rest.

x002x 02-12-2012 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=bluwrxwgn;3203965]A lot of these roads are already known to members on this site and generally dislike them being broadcasted. Mt Hamilton road especially, it's notorious for taking the lives of several cars of people trying to drive above their skill levels.[/QUOTE]

yep.. tru that

Javirex23 02-12-2012 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=SkyeC;3203973]As a road cyclist, please be careful on these sorts of roads. Most of them are heavily ridden on the weekends and even the weekdays. Coming around the corner at 50+ mph doesn't leave much room to avoid a slow-moving cyclist.

I like Highway 1 and I5 through Mt Shasta for driving though. Prefer riding the rest.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree on sharing the road. But I use common sense, If I'm on a bike I'm going to be as far away from where a car travels as possible. I hate it when they're on the road like if they were a car!

pigboat_2 02-12-2012 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=SkyeC;3203973]As a road cyclist, please be careful on these sorts of roads. Most of them are heavily ridden on the weekends and even the weekdays. Coming around the corner at 50+ mph doesn't leave much room to avoid a slow-moving cyclist[/QUOTE]

This. Out here in Cali, drivers don't seem to be nearly as conscious of bikers as they were back in Colorado. I rarely had to worry about cars while training there, but here I would almost choose an indoor trainer haha.

Anyone down to do a night romp on Page Mill sometime? I just got back from it...it's amazing when wet. No worry for other cars/bikers when driving at night, and it's safer to go in groups.

AWDfreak 02-12-2012 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=Javirex23;3203981]I totally agree on sharing the road. But I use common sense, If I'm on a bike I'm going to be as far away from where a car travels as possible. [B]I hate it when they're on the road like if they were a car![/B][/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I feel as a fellow cyclist (although I ride a mountain bike).

As for roads, I found another website for that.

[url=http://lateralg.org/]LateralG - Southern California's premier source for sports car and motorcycle roads, tips, and info[/url]

When I feel like driving on a fun road, I tend to go at night so no worries about traffic at all. And if there's opposing traffic on a one-lane, you will be warned by their headlights. It's really convenient that way IMO.

Heedz 02-13-2012 12:00 AM

Bikes are meant for trails unless you have one ball and your name is Lance Armstrong.

Jodice112 02-13-2012 12:05 AM

I have no clue why Highway 1 down here is on that map. It's infested with idiot tourist and giant tour buses trying to drive on those narrow roads.

ccalsubi 02-13-2012 12:18 AM

[QUOTE=Jodice112;3204021]I have no clue why Highway 1 down here is on that map. It's infested with idiot tourist and giant tour buses trying to drive on those narrow roads.[/QUOTE]

totally agree with you. except at night when there's no cars on the road

Heedz 02-13-2012 01:12 AM

[QUOTE=Jodice112;3204021]I have no clue why Highway 1 down here is on that map. It's infested with idiot tourist and giant tour buses trying to drive on those narrow roads.[/QUOTE]

We get idiot bikers on hwy 1 at devils slide thinking they can take the whole lane..... its a commute road **** off.

slugrx 02-13-2012 07:06 AM

[QUOTE=Heedz;3204018]Bikes are meant for trails unless you have one ball and your name is Lance Armstrong.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha

Worst place for bicycles is when they ride on highway __ (92/1/84 etc) during commute hours...bunch of f'n idiots

EQ Tuning 02-13-2012 08:47 AM

Soo many north bay roads missing from that map. Good thing too ;)

-- Ed

04GG 02-13-2012 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=EQ Tuning;3204096]Soo many north bay roads missing from that map. Good thing too ;)

-- Ed[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know plenty of great roads too...that won't be shared so they stay that way.