Autonation Honda in Fremont Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Thumbs down Autonation Honda in Fremont Story

Hi,

Thursday - So my wife had her car in because there was a recall in the air bag system on Thursday. After she drives away, she notices a CEL thrown off (never had one the previous thousandths of miles).

Friday - Morning, went to Bestbuy and had them take the deck out as some lights were off (years ago) to replace the bulbs so the climate control can be illuminated at night. Guy pulled the bulb outs to take to the dealership, also checks CEL. Reads P0134, which is an O2 sensor. The guy at Bestbuy lets me know he usually doesn't read this exact code. He reads ones that say "bad" or something, not one that says "not detected." He clear's the code, but I take a picture of it before going to the dealer.

Friday Afternoon - So we go back to the dealership the next day, I needed to buy some bulbs anyways for the climate control, and tell the guy the CEL started after they did the recall on the airbag.

-He tells my wife after they pull the car away that there is a $50 buck estimated charge and has my wife sign it, also states on this piece of paper that we came back after service due to CEL. Tells my wife it's "coincidental" that the CEL went off after she drove away from the dealership Thursday.
-I question the charge. - "Why is there a charge, shouldn't it be covered since you guys last touched it?" "Can I talk to your manager?"
-"It'll be a few minutes" He comes back later saying "It's an O2 sensor, low O2"
-I ask "What's the part number?" He says he'll get back to me, I'm still waiting for the manager.
-I find him later and he says, "I'm not going to get you the part number, but it's $355 dollars plus labor. Here are your keys, good to go"
-No charge, no paperwork saying which O2 sensor or what they found.
-I go into the Mananger's office and he says that a CEL is totally different than the airbag system and would have a different warning indicator. They did not do anything near the O2.

At that point I left, not really satisfied as to how things went.

Why wasn't there paperwork to say which O2 sensor it was and what they found? If anything? That place felt super shady.

I think Honda knocked an O2 sensor loose during the airbag, and just tightened them all when we came back. Which is fine, but at least state it on paper that's what they did. Or state they didn't find a thing... who the hell knows.

Your thoughts?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:21 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Basically, they should have just taken care of it and not said anything to you except "We corrected the issue." The fact is, they're correct, it could have been completely coincidental, but it doesn't sound like it to me either, plus they fixed it. They should advise you there MAY be a charge if what they find is definitely unrelated to what they did. In this case it was probably a disconnected or knocked wire like you said.

Next time tell them to get your burrito too

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...l-time-262406/
Old 07-17-2015, 02:52 PM

^Forgot to mention they did a "multi-point inspection" probably did touch something and then fixed it, but they should have just told us they found a lose plug not "the air bag system doesn't get anywhere near the the emissions system"

However they DID get close, recommending AT fluid change, etc.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
I got a 2 stories about this dealership. Bought my wife's forester in the Autonation Subaru dealer in Roseville or Sacramento, somewhere up there. So I got suckered into the maintenance schedule since it's the wife's car, I can tell her to just go get it done. Well you can only get it done at Autonation dealers. There are none in Tracy. She works in Pleasanton, the closest to her is Fremont.

She makes an appointment for the first oil change during work to go there. They didn't take the car at the time scheduled, didn't have the parts needed to do it since it's a Subaru, not a Honda, so the guy had to go to the parts store. What should have been 30 minutes was well over an hour. Almost 2 hours. She's pissed, the person who brought the car around made her car smell like cigarette smoke and was rude. She said she's never taking it there again and for me to do it.

So next time it needs an oil change, I make the appointment. I make sure to emphasize that it's for a Subaru Forester and to please make sure you have the parts available. The appointment was for like 8. I get there and there is a line of cars waiting, some appointment. After waiting for close to 20 minutes to get up to a tech/Honda person, the guy goes and checks the computer and says WRX. I said no, N/A forester. "Oh we got an oil filter for a WRX, it'll be a couple hours before we can get one for your car." I cursed the bastard out and left and never went back for the rest of the paid for oil changes.

Crappy *** dealership. I know I'll never get suckered into the maintenance plans after that.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Bad Mudder Trucker

Car Info: 2013 Forester on Towstrap
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I got a 2 stories about this dealership. Bought my wife's forester in the Autonation Subaru dealer in Roseville or Sacramento, somewhere up there. So I got suckered into the maintenance schedule since it's the wife's car, I can tell her to just go get it done. Well you can only get it done at Autonation dealers. There are none in Tracy. She works in Pleasanton, the closest to her is Fremont.

She makes an appointment for the first oil change during work to go there. They didn't take the car at the time scheduled, didn't have the parts needed to do it since it's a Subaru, not a Honda, so the guy had to go to the parts store. What should have been 30 minutes was well over an hour. Almost 2 hours. She's pissed, the person who brought the car around made her car smell like cigarette smoke and was rude. She said she's never taking it there again and for me to do it.

So next time it needs an oil change, I make the appointment. I make sure to emphasize that it's for a Subaru Forester and to please make sure you have the parts available. The appointment was for like 8. I get there and there is a line of cars waiting, some appointment. After waiting for close to 20 minutes to get up to a tech/Honda person, the guy goes and checks the computer and says WRX. I said no, N/A forester. "Oh we got an oil filter for a WRX, it'll be a couple hours before we can get one for your car." I cursed the bastard out and left and never went back for the rest of the paid for oil changes.

Crappy *** dealership. I know I'll never get suckered into the maintenance plans after that.
Autonation is the Roseville location. The closest one to Sacramento is Elk Grove which is Lasher
Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I can think of the solution, hang on.....because you bought a honda? Should have stuck with Subaru.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:52 PM

^Wife's ride =).
Old 07-17-2015, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
i work at a different dealership and im not sure how the inflator install affected the CEL but i have seen a few cars come back after the recall with an unrelated CEL. im not in service so i cant speak on how those situations were resolved.

as to why there was no paperwork stating which 02 sensor was faulty, my guess is they didnt actually open a repair order and just had a tech quickly pull the code, which wouldnt have any paperwork to write up (sounds like a lazy service person)

the airbag inflator install is done with the car on the ground, as its in the dash or steering wheel so theres no reason your 02 would have been touched during that. the multi point inspections are basically a tech look over your car with a flashlight, theres no tools used, so again i dont see how the 02 sensor would have been touched.

fwiw i dont think ive ever seen an 02 sensor cost that much, what year/make is it?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:34 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Weird situation for sure. I don't know why he couldn't tell you if it was the front A/F sensor or the rear O2. It was clear in your post but did they replace it under warranty? or is the CEL still on?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:08 AM

Car has 120k on it, so I don't think there is any more warranty. I think the reason he didn't state the location of the sensor was because they didn't check them at all. I think he just had the guy tighten them all. CEL was cleared off by the Bestbuy guy.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:46 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
what year make model?
Old 07-18-2015, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
could be just so happen it was going bad and turned on once you guys received the car back.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:50 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by kspek
could be just so happen it was going bad and turned on once you guys received the car back.
I am thinking this. Why would they have anything going on with that part of the car.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by slugrx

fwiw i dont think ive ever seen an 02 sensor cost that much, what year/make is it?
Ive seen plenty. This is an air fuel ration sensor that went bad on his car, its the front. She has a CA car, its expensive.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by sigma pi
Ive seen plenty. This is an air fuel ration sensor that went bad on his car, its the front. She has a CA car, its expensive.
oh i meant in our system i haven't seen a honda one that expensive, maybe its just cuz i deal with wholesale not service prices

Quick Reply: Autonation Honda in Fremont Story