i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Is AutoHQ aka CKevin's Shop Still Around?? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/autohq-aka-ckevins-shop-still-around-133721/)

CLsmooth71 05-02-2006 01:40 PM

Is AutoHQ aka CKevin's Shop Still Around??

Hey all,

I haven't seen any plugs for CKevin's shop in a long while. Is it still around?? My sis' beater Integra just hit 80k and needs some service. I was in contact way back w/James, who I think isn't w/the shop anymore, but I was lagging on bringing her car down there.

Anyways, if anyone has the scoop, please lemme know.

Thanks in advance!!

CL

Imprezer 05-02-2006 01:49 PM

Plugs? What plugs?

[url]http://www.autoheadquarter.com/[/url]

They are a vendor over here and yes they are still around...

CLsmooth71 05-02-2006 02:03 PM

thanks, for the reply/411, Imprezer.

and by "plugs", I meant listings for service specials in the local Classifieds or "Thanks" posts by members/customers. I guess I missed AutoHQ's banner ads.

RatRace 05-02-2006 02:32 PM

+1 for AutoHQ...best shop around!!

Plug made...

johsti 05-02-2006 03:08 PM

+2 for AHQ

doughboy 05-02-2006 03:59 PM

+3 for AHQ

i just heard from Eric that they work on Hondas. maybe i should consider that swap for my hatch. hhaha.

ZK 05-02-2006 04:06 PM

+1 for Kevin. He did my SR20DET engine rebuild/swap. He swapped a fresh motor into a Prelude they had sitting around the shop. He'll work on most Japanese import cars. Of course his specialty is Subaru.

CLsmooth71 05-02-2006 04:20 PM

FYI, from what I recall, James told me way back when that Kevin was an ASE Master Tech for Honda before he went to work for Subarus & Carlsen.

Obviously, I don't know Kevin personally, but he helped me out w/stuff before & is a nice dude, so I don't mind the jaunt out to Redwood City even though I could probably wait and have one of my friends work on my sister's ride for cheap or even a lunch/dinner. Most of them are kinda busy w/baby patrol and whatnot these days anyways.

gh0st shad0w 05-02-2006 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=CLsmooth71]FYI, from what I recall, James told me way back when that Kevin was an ASE Master Tech for Honda before he went to work for Subarus & Carlsen.

Obviously, I don't know Kevin personally, but he helped me out w/stuff before & is a nice dude, so I don't mind the jaunt out to Redwood City even though I could probably wait and have one of my friends work on my sister's ride for cheap or even a lunch/dinner. Most of them are kinda busy w/baby patrol and whatnot these days anyways.[/QUOTE]

Yup that is true Kevin was a Master Tech for Honda as well as Subaru.

verc 05-02-2006 06:56 PM

+infinity for AHQ :)

Yup, if you are in the north/east bay LIC is the way to go, if you are in the south/west bay Kevin is the only genuine Master technician for both Honda and Subaru around. He knows his stuff like a real tech should.

This guy has built a silvia for Calvin Wan of Team Falken, motorcyles for AMA champion (forgot the guy's name), and he yells random stuff in Cantonese. What more can you ask for in a shop?

TurnWRX 05-02-2006 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=verc]

and he yells random stuff in Cantonese. What more can you ask for in a shop?[/QUOTE]

u forgot the part where if u bring cheap stuff to his place for install, that means "no soup for you!" :D

Hollandaze 05-02-2006 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=verc]and he yells random stuff in Cantonese. What more can you ask for in a shop?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my kind of repair shop! =)

When I had just bought my 2.5RS and I needed a little work done at Carlsen a few years back, Kevin was the guy that fixed some of the most knitpicky stuff on my car.

doughboy 05-02-2006 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=Imprezzy]
When I had just bought my 2.5RS and I needed a little work done at Carlsen a few years back, Kevin was the guy that fixed some of the most knitpicky stuff on my car.[/QUOTE]

i can attest to that fact! Kevin notices everything that isn't done correctly and will point it out. when i brought my WRX to him, he pointed out half a dozen improperly installed mods and missing parts!

Rad One 05-02-2006 11:51 PM

+69 for AutoHQ/cKevin and his crew, eric (TWIN SCROLL forester) and ken(tricked out si).

kevin definitely pays attention to every detail. everytime i look past his advice it turns around and kicks me in the rear. he's definitely all about QUALITY and not QUANTITY. tell him what youre tryin to achieve with your car and he'll tell you what he thinks is best.

AutoHQ is always packed with subarus, honda/acuras and nissan/sr_ _/infinitys.

rumor has it they are going to have a dent day/bbq real soon. and shiginori is coming end of june to tune a few more cars.

mudman 05-03-2006 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Astroguy]I went to AHQ for my 30k service, a few things to note. If you ask to use all synthetic fluids, I would advise that you request they don't use synthetic in the tranny. They used Mobil 1 synthetic in mine, apparently the WRX tranny doesn't get along with this too well, it's too slick for the synchro's. I discovered this after my 4th gear started to grind when downshifting, I took it to Subaru of Santa Cruz to get regular non-synthetic put back in and the grind is gone. I'm actually surprised Kevin with AHQ uses Mobil 1 synthetic, as lots of people have documented in Subaru forums that they get grinding with this stuff.
[/QUOTE]

[url]https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112384&highlight=service+batman[/url]

Sounds like Kevin used the wrong tranny oil in somebody's car. strange mistake for a 'Master' mechanic to make.