i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   All I Wanted Was Some Soup (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/all-i-wanted-some-soup-261424/)

TheFozz 09-09-2014 05:41 PM

All I Wanted Was Some Soup

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Raley's/NobHill,

OK, while I appreciate that Raley's want's to broaden their Customer's palette by bringing in and trying new things I don't appreciate not being able to purchase something that is a store standard, for that matter, a grocery industry standard. Why you deem it necessary to introduce new soups into the Campbell side counter, while removing something that has been a standard of our lives for over 40 years is beyond me.

You also did not just pull the standard cans, you pulled the big ones off the bottom shelves also. WAY TO GIVE THE CUSTOMER AN OPTION!

How about instead you pull out the Raley's brand soups that are stuffed in there, thin out the double-triple wide spaced low sellers, including the new flavorless fat-free ones, compress another part of the side counter, and give us our soup back.

The one redeeming thing is we are going to try the BumbleBee Clam Chowder instead, but honestly, WHY MESS UP A GOOD THING? I might as well take the option and have gone to Safeway, FoodMax, or Food 4 Less because at least they will have it in-stock.

*What are you going to pull off the shelves next, Wonder Bread?

TheFozz 09-09-2014 05:42 PM

[QUOTE]NO! Always pay extra for the bread![/QUOTE]
[img]http://beeredland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Soup-Nazi.jpg[/img]

kbeetz 09-09-2014 06:22 PM

I was hoping that would be the first reply

runboyrun 09-09-2014 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=TheFozz;3554103]Dear Raley's/NobHill,

OK, while I appreciate that Raley's want's to broaden their Customer's palette by bringing in and trying new things I don't appreciate not being able to purchase something that is a store standard, for that matter, a grocery industry standard. Why you deem it necessary to introduce new soups into the Campbell side counter, while removing something that has been a standard of our lives for over 40 years is beyond me.

You also did not just pull the standard cans, you pulled the big ones off the bottom shelves also. WAY TO GIVE THE CUSTOMER AN OPTION!

How about instead you pull out the Raley's brand soups that are stuffed in there, thin out the double-triple wide spaced low sellers, including the new flavorless fat-free ones, compress another part of the side counter, and give us our soup back.

The one redeeming thing is we are going to try the BumbleBee Clam Chowder instead, but honestly, WHY MESS UP A GOOD THING? I might as well take the option and have gone to Safeway, FoodMax, or Food 4 Less because at least they will have it in-stock.

*What are you going to pull off the shelves next, Wonder Bread?[/QUOTE]

I bet if you asked the manager to stock it again they would.

TheFozz 09-09-2014 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=runboyrun;3554113]I bet if you asked the manager to stock it again they would.[/QUOTE]

Already did, was told to email their corporate side also, so I figured I'd share the rant here too.

That BumbleBee Clam Chowder is horrible, they should stick to tuna-fish. Some bean-counting corporate schmuck got an envelope full of cash because there's no legitimate reason anyone would want this junk. They basically bought out Snow's and ruined the recipe: [url]http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/820906[/url] I buy Campbell's because at least it still tasted the same all these years, unlike Snow's.

Krinkov 09-09-2014 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[attach]210476[/attach]

Rescuer 09-09-2014 09:49 PM

[url=https://www.i-club.com/forums/random-thoughts-off-topic-17/]Random Thoughts/Off Topic - i-Club[/url]
[url=https://www.i-club.com/forums/random-thoughts-off-topic-17/]Random Thoughts/Off Topic - i-Club[/url]

bkblitzed 09-09-2014 11:02 PM

I don't really get it but is this a big deal?

Rescuer 09-10-2014 06:04 AM

[quote=bkblitzed;3554164]I don't really get it but is this a big deal?[/quote]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4RNb3tt0LM"]Jimmy Dean Sausage Complaint call - YouTube[/ame]

TheFozz 09-10-2014 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=bkblitzed;3554164]I don't really get it but is this a big deal?[/QUOTE]

Because i-club and kneecaps. :sign0008:

Volkey 09-10-2014 09:15 AM

I love soup.. Safeway's is best.

04GG 09-10-2014 09:18 AM

Are you mad about SOUP? Then you probably don't want to know that they shrunk the "family" size cans by a few Oz. and are charging the same price...

You know it is practically easier to MAKE soup than to BUY it? :D

Eat a sammich!

i<3dirt 09-10-2014 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=04GG;3554239]Are you mad about SOUP? Then you probably don't want to know that they shrunk the "family" size cans by a few Oz. and are charging the same price...

You know it is practically easier to MAKE soup than to BUY it? :D

Eat a sammich![/QUOTE]

If Law made sammichs then we all be eating them instead of soup

04GG 09-10-2014 09:28 AM

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title

All I wanted was a Pepsi :D

[youtube]LoF_a0-7xVQ[/youtube]

The Law 09-10-2014 10:09 AM

[QUOTE=i<3dirt;3554243]If Law made sammichs then we all be eating them instead of soup[/QUOTE]

:laugh:

Heedz 09-10-2014 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=i<3dirt;3554243]If Law made sammichs then we all be eating them instead of soup[/QUOTE]

+1 I want a BLTA

The Law 09-10-2014 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=Heedz;3554290]+1 I want a BLTA[/QUOTE]

You want a Boy Lady Tramp Aids? :der:

subysteez 09-10-2014 11:36 AM

[QUOTE="Rescuer;3554197"]
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4RNb3tt0LM"]Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4RNb3tt0LM[/URL][/QUOTE]

Hahahaha! Thanks jeff, that's a classic

JelloChex 09-10-2014 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=Heedz;3554290]+1 I want a BLTA[/QUOTE]

Bacon, Lettuce, & Tuna?

queeg9k 09-10-2014 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Get on my level.

[attach]210475[/attach]

Never tried a clam chowder but my corn chowder is pretty tasty. This is just for chicken stock as a base for other soups.

wombatsauce 09-10-2014 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=queeg9k;3554427]Get on my level.

Never tried a clam chowder but my corn chowder is pretty tasty. This is just for chicken stock as a base for other soups.[/QUOTE]

Put some clams in your corn chowder - BAM - you have clam chowder (with corn). Extra pepper to calm the stank. Hollow out some bread. Winning.

queeg9k 09-10-2014 04:40 PM

So is this now the Official BAIC Soup thread? I will post more soup pictures here next time I make some.

Wombat: I don't much care for seafood so I have never really tried.

TheFozz 09-10-2014 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=queeg9k;3554432]So is this now the Official BAIC Soup thread? I will post more soup pictures here next time I make some.
[/QUOTE]

We could do that. Hell, almost about to go make some of my Navy Bean and Ham since I have almost everything here.

As far as the smaller can size, or just make it yourself logic, well, I got two kids, work, etc, and all 4 of us have been showing flu-symptoms the last two days. Sometimes all you want is just some soup so there's time to kill rather than all the added work. Also, you put the carrots in later man, and what about the rosemary?

queeg9k 09-10-2014 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=TheFozz;3554449]We could do that. Hell, almost about to go make some of my Navy Bean and Ham since I have almost everything here.

As far as the smaller can size, or just make it yourself logic, well, I got two kids, work, etc, and all 4 of us have been showing flu-symptoms the last two days. Sometimes all you want is just some soup so there's time to kill rather than all the added work. Also, you put the carrots in later man, and what about the rosemary?[/QUOTE]

If I still lived in the area I would have totally made some soup for another BAIC member and his family. Sorry yall are not felling well, that must be a ***** when everyone, in your family, gets sick.

SOMEONE BRING THIS MAN SOUP!

[COLOR="White"]I am not kidding, I would totally bring you and your family soup if you would accept it. That must be a ***** when everyone gets sick. [/COLOR]

TheFozz 09-10-2014 09:52 PM

[QUOTE=queeg9k;3554491]

I am not kidding, I would totally bring you and your family soup if you would accept it. That must be a ***** when everyone gets sick. [/QUOTE]

I actually believe you would. The worst part is being sick makes my neck and back hurt worse.

That said, no worries, Lil'One and I are doing better, even went to class for like 3 minutes, then booked it to hang at the Wed's meet for a little. Lil'Dude's still a little feverish.

Pulled out the NavyBeans, going to buy some pork shoulder or ham at Chavez Market and make soup tomorrow night so it's ready for Friday or Saturday.

Recipe is simple.

~Soak the navy beans for a day or so, change the water out twice.
~Drain beans, cook in pot on low boil for 2 hours with 1 whole clove of garlic pieces. Cut in half if desired.
~Once cooked, [i]lightly[/i] salt them, almost to taste. Keep in mind pork or ham will also salt the mixture as you go.
~Drain beans but keep the water.
~Take 1/3 of beans out of pot along with all the remaining garlic pieces which should be ready to fall apart if crushed in fingers, put in food processor and puree to make soup thickener. *You may to use only part of garlic pieces depending on your tastes.
~Dice/Cube Pork/Ham and add into water, cook for 3-4 hours on low boil.
~Once meat is almost to the point of falling apart, add beans and pureed beans back in.
~Add small amount Italian seasoning or basil, oregano, salt, pepper to the mix and boil for 45-60 minutes.
~Pull pot off heat and let cool.

~Here's the big step, once the pot has cooled put the lid on it, put it in the refrigerator for a day, AND DON'T TOUCH IT.
~Wait a 1/2 to Full Day, pull out and reheat whatever amount you want to eat.

1JavaBlk_in_Sac 09-10-2014 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=JelloChex;3554386]Bacon, Lettuce, & Tuna?[/QUOTE]

+avocado?

TheFozz 09-10-2014 10:54 PM

Maybe he meant Bacon, Lettuce, T!Ts-n-A55? :dance:

Heck, I could go for some of that, it definitely would make me feel better and smile. :sign0008:

Overbear 09-11-2014 04:48 AM

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/0d1K8dH.jpg[/IMG]

Never tried a clam chowder but my corn chowder is pretty tasty. This is just for chicken stock as a base for other soups.[/QUOTE]

mirepoix, that is what you have there. However I am a little surprised you don't dice up everything a bit finer to get more out of it (smaller cut = more surface space)

Have you tried doing a stock with a american Trinity? (carrots, celery, and bell peppers) Its more of a traditional southern base.

Overbear 09-11-2014 05:00 AM

Slow cooker chicken soup:

INGREDIENTS
3 pounds chicken(whole) cut into pieces
4 cups water
4 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoon Kosher salt(Personal preference, I only use kosher salt)
1/4 teaspoon cracked white peppercorn (I prefer Sarawak if you can find it)
1 Small onion chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
8oz pack of mushrooms sliced thin
6 ounces noodles(Optional, or you can add 1/2 cup of long grain southern wild rice)

The key is to keep the crockpot on low and not high, let it go long. After about 2 hours pull the chicken out and strip it from the bone, before putting it back in. I like to let it rest after, and put it in the fridge for 24 hours. Then serve it, I have found it develops the flavor profile a bit more.

queeg9k 09-11-2014 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=Overbear;3554562]mirepoix, that is what you have there. However I am a little surprised you don't dice up everything a bit finer to get more out of it (smaller cut = more surface space)

Have you tried doing a stock with a american Trinity? (carrots, celery, and bell peppers) Its more of a traditional southern base.[/QUOTE]

Simmered until chicken meat was cooked than removed chicken and pull meat off the bones. Pace the bones and veggies under the broiler and return to the stock after it all gets nice and brown. No need to cut it smaller when it gets simmered again for 4 hours.

04GG 09-11-2014 09:56 AM

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/0d1K8dH.jpg[/IMG]

You da man. Now I'm hungry....

We make our own stock too. Absolutely makes everything you use it in taste better.

TheFozz 09-14-2014 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been farting like there's no tomorrow the last 2 days. LOL

Need to go buy Bean-O and use more garlic.

Side note on the Chicken Soup Stock, when we buy a Costco or Safeway roast chicken we always throw what's left of the carcass and juice into the stock.

d3rock 09-15-2014 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Apparently I used the meme wrong (confession bear And not just a sad bear) but thought this might be applicable with my new Ramen hype:

[ATTACH]90475[/ATTACH]