i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   Adios iPhone... Hello Droid? FREE Google Maps Turn-by-Turn Mobile App (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/adios-iphone-hello-droid-free-google-maps-turn-turn-mobile-app-211836/)

soundwave 10-28-2009 03:41 PM

Adios iPhone... Hello Droid? FREE Google Maps Turn-by-Turn Mobile App

anybody got hookups from Verizon?

super tempted

[url]http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/28/motorola-droid-finally-official-coming-november-6th-for-199/[/url]

[url]http://gizmodo.com/5391408/google-maps-navigation-a-free-ass+kicking-turn+by+turn-mobile-app[/url]

[IMG]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/10/500x_droidtop.jpg[/IMG]

Baller ass clock dock
[IMG]http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2009/10/500x_IMG_0117.jpg[/IMG]

baller ass GPS dock
[IMG]http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2009/10/500x_IMG_0119.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache0.techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/googlenav.jpg[/IMG]

* Zip through the Web: Access the Internet at 3G speeds via the nation’s largest and most reliable 3G network or from any Wi-Fi hotspot. The multi-window HTML browser with a massive processor delivers the Web the way you expect.

* See it all in cinema-style: View the Web, e-mail, Google Maps™, videos and more in widescreen on a brilliant 3.7” high-resolution screen. Boasting a width of 854 pixels to reduce the need for side-to-side panning and more than 400,000 pixels total, DROID has more than twice that of the leading competitor.

* Run multiple applications at once: Customize your DROID with thousands of applications and hundreds of widgets available on Android Market™. Toggle back and forth between up to six applications at a time to juggle the universe and your apps.

* Perform Google Search™ at the speed of sound: Simply tell DROID what you’re looking for using voice-activated search, and it will serve up Google search results based on your location. If you want more, simply type what you’re looking for into the search bar on the home screen and DROID will also search content on your phone, such as apps and contacts, and the Web.

* Capture moments: Snap digital camera-quality photos with a 5 megapixel camera loaded with the works, such as a dual-LED flash, AutoFocus and image stabilization, or capture your friend’s antics in 16 million colors with DVD-quality video capture and playback. Store it all on the included 16 GB memory card, so you always have it on hand.

* Multi-task like a master: Keep tabs on all your messages with integrated Gmail™ and Exchange e-mail pushed directly to you, but don’t let them get in your way. With the handy Android notification panel, go straight to the message or simply ignore it, and get back to the task at hand. And, a smart dictionary learns as you type and automatically includes your contacts.

* Get where you need to go with Google Maps Navigation (Beta): DROID is the first device with Google Maps Navigation, providing turn-by-turn voice guidance as a free feature of Google Maps. It’s powered by Google and connected to the Internet. Use voice shortcuts and simply say “Navigate to [your destination],” and you’ll be on your way. See live traffic, use Street View or satellite imagery to view your route, and get access to the most recent maps and business information from Google Maps without ever needing to update your device.

dippedinsauce 10-28-2009 05:07 PM

ohhh i like the GPS with the street pictures

Superglue WRX 10-28-2009 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=dippedinsauce;2750031]ohhh i like the GPS with the street pictures[/QUOTE]

That's the new free Google nav system for mobile devices.... I think.

soundwave 10-28-2009 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=Superglue WRX;2750034]That's the new free Google nav system for mobile devices.... I think.[/QUOTE]
yep
look at garmin stock, haha
[url]http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:GRMN[/url]
-6.19 (-16.38%)
After Hours: 30.43 -1.16 (-3.67%)

ldivinag 10-28-2009 05:17 PM

there are talks with the google nav coming over the iphone too...

[url]http://www.everythingicafe.com/blog/google-maps-navigation-might-come-to-iphone/2009/10/28/[/url]

Lurk 10-28-2009 06:23 PM

I predict Droid will have some really awesome apps available that'll make iPhone users realize how limited their phones really are.

iPhone apps are all written in Objective-C while Droid's apps are programmed using Java.

cracker1252 10-28-2009 06:35 PM

cant wait for this.

Ballz 10-28-2009 06:57 PM

I enjoy my new Palm Pre!

JelloChex 10-28-2009 06:59 PM

[url]http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/26/the-problem-with-iphone-killers/[/url]

kspek 10-28-2009 07:06 PM

my g1 firmware is 1.6 :(

ldivinag 10-28-2009 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=Lurk;2750088]I predict Droid will have some really awesome apps available that'll make iPhone users realize how limited their phones really are.

iPhone apps are all written in Objective-C while Droid's apps are programmed using Java.[/QUOTE]

limited in what way?

there are thousands of apps right now. i'd say just about every single kind of app needed out there has been written.

a few, not approved by apple so we dont get see them.

new ones are just a diff look on an old idea.

people will knock apple (i'm one of them) because of the way they run the app store (from preventing apps from being approved to preventing FLASH from being implemented).

but you really cant say they dont have a winner with the iPhone platform.

after all, every new smart phone coming out these days will be the next "iPhone killer"... not a G1 killer or an XXXXX killer...

zumnwrx 10-28-2009 08:18 PM

i would KILL for that navi app!

seriously! google is the new microsoft!

... a good thing now, but...

horsecut54 10-28-2009 08:49 PM

That phone looks hella baller ass! lol.

Pactin 10-28-2009 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=horsecut54;2750166]That phone looks hella baller ass! lol.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

code3suby 10-28-2009 09:06 PM

I would own an Iphone if two things were true 1. It wasn't on AT&T networks and 2. Apple didn't make it. I really hate apple. I hate the crowd that they cater to because they don't care that they're being limited.

The Iphone would be amazing if it had OS software, none of the stupid apple restrictions and the ability to mount it like the G1. I can use my G1 as another drive and its got 16 gb of space, so that's all of my school assignments, music etc all in one package.

In apple's defense though, they're one of the few companies that really goes and finds out what users really want, then work to perfect the usability.

eugenile 10-28-2009 10:37 PM

I noticed the thing htat kills all Verizon phones are its lack of WIFI, does ANY current Verizon phone have WiFi? Thats an automatic pass for me if it doesn't have it.

edit, klooks like it finally has wi-fi, finally verizon.

Lowend 10-28-2009 10:43 PM

I have a G1 - by far the best phone I've ever had, not even close.

There are thousands of apps out there, and there is some really good stuff

brucelee 10-28-2009 10:46 PM

Im so glad this thing finally came out. I HATE ATT, Verizon is soooo much better and the reason I don't have an i-phone is because of lame ass ATT. I'm glad I never got one because I would have had to of switched to ATT and now that this phone is out I would have had buyers regret because this is the phone I'd rather have of the two.

LGT Mark 10-28-2009 10:58 PM

I tried to a avoid the iPhone fad, but every person I talked to that had a droid phone didn't have anything good to say about it.

I gave in and bought a 3gs, last week and I'm pretty hAppy with it, especially with all the options available after jailbreaking it. It's totally customizable visually and operationally. I'm far from being a machead but there really is an app for everything I want to do.

That Phone in the op does look nice tho, I'm rootin for something to beat the iPhone but rite now apple has a pretty big headstart

stupidchicken03 10-28-2009 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=Ballz;2750106]I enjoy my new Palm Pre![/QUOTE]

my fiance got this about two weeks ago.. she likes it BUT does not like that

A) Cant take video
B) you cant change txt tones

thats just :crazy:

I myself got the Blackberry Tour and LOVE this phone!

brucelee 10-28-2009 11:06 PM

WTH? You can't change text tones? That's uber stupid! :huh:

brucelee 10-28-2009 11:07 PM

PS: ryball loves whale penis

Irish_car_B0mb 10-28-2009 11:29 PM

i was really hoping verizon would carry iphone but this is gonna kick iphones ass... new every 2 in about 1 month for me and the weef

stupidchicken03 10-28-2009 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=brucelee;2750262]WTH? You can't change text tones? That's uber stupid! :huh:[/QUOTE]

Ya...not only can you not change it to a ringtone you make/download....you just cant change it at all!

Irish_car_B0mb 10-29-2009 12:20 AM

the onyl thing i cant find is if it has a touch screen or not?

kspek 10-29-2009 01:39 AM

should be touch screen

Gibz 10-29-2009 01:51 AM

Yeah i was bummed that we couldnt change tones, actually bothers me a bunch cus i cant tell which of our phones is going off lol... and the video thing is gonna come out later they said. Bryans lucky the one i bought him is just fine however i am going on my 3rd pre. lots and lots of problems in the phones i have :( I have heard 50% of the pre phones need to be returned.. oh and i bought our first ones just beginning of this month and my first pre didnt have sound period so it was changed out before i left the store and this one has so many issues to type. So i hope the 3rd ones better.

[quote=stupidchicken03;2750259]my fiance got this about two weeks ago.. she likes it BUT does not like that

A) Cant take video
B) you cant change txt tones

thats just :crazy:

I myself got the Blackberry Tour and LOVE this phone![/quote]

aznmussel 10-29-2009 02:27 AM

Wow. U guys really don't like. The "iPhone" that pretty much started the high tech phones. Anyways I like my iPhone it's got a bunch of app necessary for my own use. All this new phones are cool. Nothing is perfect though iPhone flaws too but u goota realize it's business hence the need for upgrades. Mac can't make their phone perfect coz it'll make things boring and the device very expensive hehe. Just my thoughts. IPhone still rocks. Well the Original can never be copied but can be attempted ;0

XkrazyAsianX 10-29-2009 02:42 AM

pretty sick,kinda thick tho.

herrjr 10-29-2009 06:16 AM

[QUOTE=aznmussel;2750374]Wow. U guys really don't like. The "iPhone" that pretty much started the high tech phones. Anyways I like my iPhone it's got a bunch of app necessary for my own use. All this new phones are cool. Nothing is perfect though iPhone flaws too but u goota realize it's business hence the need for upgrades. Mac can't make their phone perfect coz it'll make things boring and the device very expensive hehe. Just my thoughts. IPhone still rocks. Well the Original can never be copied but can be attempted ;0[/QUOTE]

wow - smoking crack here lmao - "started the high tech phones" but managed to leave out a physical keyboard, video recording, multi-tasking and 3g - talk about fanboy :rofl:

I hate ATT but like my touch pro (aka fuze) - I think that this phone is good enough to make me leave my HTC bandwagon

ryball 10-29-2009 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=brucelee;2750263]PS: ryball loves whale penis[/QUOTE]

Dammit. :mad:

subie OCD 10-29-2009 09:23 AM

I love my iphone. Definitely the best phone out imo.

Superglue WRX 10-29-2009 09:24 AM

So much iphone hate. There's a phone for virtually any need out there now. Does it really matter what an iphone can and can't do at this point?

soundwave 10-29-2009 09:24 AM

[youtube]tGXK4jKN_jY[/youtube]

aznmussel 10-29-2009 09:37 AM

YeH. Well bottom line we all have our preferences. Btw that droid looks pretty cool too. Some people just can't help not to talk smack. I guess that's the way of life hahahahahaha. Enjoy ur newphone.

R-Dub 10-29-2009 10:01 AM

Previously, I was going to eliminate my contract with Verizon because their customer service sucks a load of semen and I had it with them; Sprint offered to pay my termination fee (which is exorbitant if you ask me) and get me Pre for cheap.

Now that this phone has been unveiled...I may just end up staying with Verizon for another 2 years...

so steezy 10-29-2009 10:14 AM

gives me another reason to switch back to verizon after my contract is up. iPhone, sweet! AT&T service and coverage, SUCKS!

stupidchicken03 10-29-2009 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=Gibz;2750368]Yeah i was bummed that we couldnt change tones, actually bothers me a bunch cus i cant tell which of our phones is going off lol... and the video thing is gonna come out later they said. Bryans lucky the one i bought him is just fine however i am going on my 3rd pre. lots and lots of problems in the phones i have :( I have heard 50% of the pre phones need to be returned.. oh and i bought our first ones just beginning of this month and my first pre didnt have sound period so it was changed out before i left the store and this one has so many issues to type. So i hope the 3rd ones better.[/QUOTE]

THREE! holly **** that sucks! She'll be pissed if that happens to her

fizay 10-29-2009 10:21 AM

I hear the Droid doesn't have mp3 playback? Or is somehow limited in that capacity?

soundwave 10-29-2009 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=fizay;2750560]I hear the Droid doesn't have mp3 playback? Or is somehow limited in that capacity?[/QUOTE]

PLAYABLE FORMATS
AAC, H.263, H.264, MP3, MPEG-4, WAV, WMA, eAAC+, OGG, AMR WB, AMR NB, AAC+, MIDI

i only saw 1 post regarding gap less playback... meaning there's a 1 sec gap between songs...

not a deal killer imo

danielliez 10-29-2009 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=stupidchicken03;2750311]Ya...not only can you not change it to a ringtone you make/download....you just cant change it at all![/QUOTE]

There is a homebrew app out that will allow you to change ring tones.

[QUOTE=Gibz;2750368]Yeah i was bummed that we couldnt change tones, actually bothers me a bunch cus i cant tell which of our phones is going off lol... and the video thing is gonna come out later they said. Bryans lucky the one i bought him is just fine however i am going on my 3rd pre. lots and lots of problems in the phones i have :( I have heard 50% of the pre phones need to be returned.. oh and i bought our first ones just beginning of this month and my first pre didnt have sound period so it was changed out before i left the store and this one has so many issues to type. So i hope the 3rd ones better.[/QUOTE]

I'm notorious for dropping my Pre and have not had any problems yet *crosses fingers*
My dad did have to get a new battery for his because it was defective and kept turning the phone off, but after that everything was fine. My mom has not had any problems with hers at all.

vik682 10-29-2009 12:14 PM

omg i cant wait for the droid!!!!!!!

Been waiting so long for a phone like this

stupidchicken03 10-29-2009 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=danielliez;2750574]There is a homebrew app out that will allow you to change ring tones.

I'm notorious for dropping my Pre and have not had any problems yet *crosses fingers*
My dad did have to get a new battery for his because it was defective and kept turning the phone off, but after that everything was fine. My mom has not had any problems with hers at all.[/QUOTE]

have you downloaded it yet? Do you know the name?

Im sure if i did that for her she would be happy as hell haha

Jin 10-29-2009 01:27 PM

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/10/the-game-has-changed-6-1256751508.jpg[/IMG]

Irish_car_B0mb 10-29-2009 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=XkrazyAsianX;2750376]pretty sick,kinda thick tho.[/QUOTE]

Thats what she said...: banana :

[QUOTE=R-Dub;2750538]Previously, I was going to eliminate my contract with Verizon because their customer service sucks a load of semen and I had it with them; Sprint offered to pay my termination fee (which is exorbitant if you ask me) and get me Pre for cheap.

Now that this phone has been unveiled...I may just end up staying with Verizon for another 2 years...[/QUOTE]

thats too bad, i have had verizon for about 8 years now and never once have they even shown a meager bit of bad customer service. They always go way beyond what they need ot do for their customers, but every tree has its bad apple.

my wife cant stand att anymore, she switched over becuase of att customer service and she says verizon is miles in front of the rest best i have friends that woudnt drop att ever.

so to each their own

R-Dub 10-29-2009 01:33 PM

[quote=Irish_car_B0mb;2750712]thats too bad, i have had verizon for about 8 years now and never once have they even shown a meager bit of bad customer service. They always go way beyond what they need ot do for their customers, but every tree has its bad apple.

my wife cant stand att anymore, she switched over becuase of att customer service and she says verizon is miles in front of the rest best i have friends that woudnt drop att ever.

so to each their own[/quote]

Yeah they have shown me no room for service; long story short I had some deadbeat on my phone plan and she bailed on me so now I'm stuck with her ****ing contract and termination fee.

Reception has never been a problem; internet has always been slow but I've never had a 3G or WiFi phone with them, so we shall see...

stupidchicken03 10-29-2009 03:12 PM

Ive had verizon for about 5 or 6 years now and love it

Unit 91 10-29-2009 03:25 PM

I had Verizon for over 10 years. Almost never had issues. They almost always took care of me. When my whole Big D was going down I decided to get an iPhone. AT&T has also given me no troubles at all and has been very helpful.

The one big thing I hated about Verizon is having a cool phone with most of the stuff you'd want (bluetooth for sharing, easily changing ringtones without buying from Verizon, etc) completely crippled.

All the companies have their downfalls. Just have to find what works best for you.

stupidchicken03 10-29-2009 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=Unit 91;2750780]I had Verizon for over 10 years. Almost never had issues. They almost always took care of me. When my whole Big D was going down I decided to get an iPhone. AT&T has also given me no troubles at all and has been very helpful.

[B]The one big thing I hated about Verizon is having a cool phone with most of the stuff you'd want (bluetooth for sharing, easily changing ringtones without buying from Verizon, etc) completely crippled.[/B]

All the companies have their downfalls. Just have to find what works best for you.[/QUOTE]

There are some easy ways to get around all that. And dont break anytype of warranty either :)

Unit 91 10-29-2009 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=stupidchicken03;2750784]There are some easy ways to get around all that. And dont break anytype of warranty either :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don't really feel like I should have to do that. I want something that works for me out of the box without having to play stupid games. I'm happy with the iPhone and AT&T.

Eh.

stupidchicken03 10-29-2009 03:36 PM

understandable :)

Irish_car_B0mb 10-30-2009 12:50 AM

so i went into verizon today and they said they could give me my new ever 2 a month early. SUPER STOKED!

and the dude i spoke to said we can just put the phones on our bill we dont even have to pay up front

I am gonna be big baller on Nov 6.

subbiedood 10-30-2009 01:49 AM

i have a iphone and i luv it. im pretty sure the droid is gonna be sick. but apple will come out with a new iphone thats even better. then verizon will one up that. its just a business. these companies know people will buy the phones no matter what. people were crazy for the original iphone. then went nuts for the 3g. and crazier for the 3gs. whats next

blue blurr 10-30-2009 08:33 AM

Anyone know what the monthly fee might be with this phone? I just have a super basic phone, with a super basic cheap plan. Do I need some "data" plan that would cost me an extra 50 bucks?

stupidchicken03 10-30-2009 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=blue blurr;2751200]Anyone know what the monthly fee might be with this phone? I just have a super basic phone, with a super basic cheap plan. Do I need some "data" plan that would cost me an extra 50 bucks?[/QUOTE]

you would need a data plan. I just upgraded to a Blackberry and had to upgrade my plan for the BB to work.

There are diff types of data plans depending on how much you use the phone, the one I got was teh unlimited plan (always connected) and i think it was $29.99 a month. Only $10 more than the one I had. But its been well wortth it and have no regrets :)

vik682 10-30-2009 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=blue blurr;2751200]Anyone know what the monthly fee might be with this phone? I just have a super basic phone, with a super basic cheap plan. Do I need some "data" plan that would cost me an extra 50 bucks?[/QUOTE]

I think Verizon's smartphone plans start @ 79.99/monf

Irish_car_B0mb 10-31-2009 02:02 AM

[QUOTE=vik682;2751284]I think Verizon's smartphone plans start @ 79.99/monf[/QUOTE]

so i went back to verizon today to inquire about the fine print crap.

it does need a data plan but the data plan is gonna be unlimited for this phone for 29.99 a month and you need just a basic talk plan that starts at 39.99.

i use like 15 minutes a months and all of that is checkng my voicemail.

AND THAT IS MY ONLY PROBLEM WITH VERIZON

hwo do you charge minutes for someone checking their vmail. i just dont get it.

i can call all of my family, wife, friends all who have verizon and i use 0 minutes. and then i get 10 people out of network to call and not get charged any minutes. literally the only mins i use every month are vmail charges.

anyway, if you gusy want one you can go to yrou local verizon and hold one for yourself for $20.

or you can do the same if you call the *611. if you really want it but cant afford it when you go in to renew your contract if you are up for it they can bill you the cost of the phone and it will just show up on your next months bill

and if you are good and wheelin and dealin you can even get them to give you an instant rebate if you say these words " i was thinkin about switching over to att because the iphone is cheaper, anyway you can get me the rebate as an instant rebate, instead of me sending it in".

i have found if you are actually out of contract with them they will bend over backwards to get you to resign, and that usually ends up in instant rebate at the store vs mailing that **** in.

hope this helps those phone addicts out there

stupidchicken03 10-31-2009 09:55 AM

Ya I dont like the whole vmail message minutes.. :ohwell: very minor thing for me

danielliez 10-31-2009 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=stupidchicken03;2750700]have you downloaded it yet? Do you know the name?

Im sure if i did that for her she would be happy as hell haha[/QUOTE]

My friend downloaded it, I will ask him and get back to you. Are you familiar with how to install homebrew apps?
This is a good resource for pre stuff: [url]www.precentral.net[/url] (in case you were not already aware of it)

BayAreaSTi23 10-31-2009 11:05 AM

jailbroken iphone 3gs ftw

JelloChex 10-31-2009 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=BayAreaSTi23;2751909]jailbroken iphone 3gs ftw[/QUOTE]

Which program did you use to jailbreak the phone with?

04caliwrx 10-31-2009 12:28 PM

iPhone FTW!! lol every phone that is the nwxt "Iphone Killer" does nothing. The Blackberry storm is a flop and sold nothing, the pre sells but it's nothing in sales when it comes to the iPhone. The I phone has sold about 21 million in the us alone. Nothing with phones will ever come close to that.

JelloChex 10-31-2009 01:47 PM

Wonder if the new Blackberry Storm 2 will be any better?

I remember asking SEVERAL Verizon people about the Blackberry Storm and they ALL recommended staying with AT&T and getting the iPhone instead of switching over to get the Blackberry Storm. That says a LOT about BOTH phones. :p

I tried out the Pre in the store and the buttons felt TINY on that keyboard.

The Droid does look like an interesting phone, but to me getting a phone is also like getting a car, I don't like getting the first generation model as there are bound to be kinks that need to be worked out.

zumnwrx 10-31-2009 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=flukewrx;2751915]Which program did you use to jailbreak the phone with?[/QUOTE]

i just used blackra1n

really simple but if your using your iphone on anything but att you have to do all kinds of other steps to jailbreak it

if its an att iphone your good

stupidchicken03 10-31-2009 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=danielliez;2751906]My friend downloaded it, I will ask him and get back to you. Are you familiar with how to install homebrew apps?
This is a good resource for pre stuff: [url]www.precentral.net[/url] (in case you were not already aware of it)[/QUOTE]

Ill have to look into that

LGT Mark 11-01-2009 08:05 AM

I used blackrain too... And lovin it. Firsttime havin a phone I can customize as much as my pc

dan avoN7 11-01-2009 08:34 AM

+1

I've had a basic LG Chocolate for the past few years. As of a couple weeks ago the screen started to randomly turn off (requires a restart to work again). Looks like I might have to deal with this for another couple weeks and get the new Droid ;)

Irish_car_B0mb 11-01-2009 11:35 PM

[QUOTE=dan avoN7;2752109]+1

I've had a basic LG Chocolate for the past few years. As of a couple weeks ago the screen started to randomly turn off (requires a restart to work again). Looks like I might have to deal with this for another couple weeks and get the new Droid ;)[/QUOTE]

it does need a data plan but the data plan is gonna be unlimited for this phone for 29.99 a month and you need just a basic talk plan that starts at 39.99.

soundwave 11-04-2009 10:31 AM

[IMG]http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/help.png[/IMG]

FlatWReX 11-04-2009 06:04 PM

I'd really like to get one, but I'm only a year into my current plan...so I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next September. I've heard that if my base plan is $49.99 a month, or more, I can upgrade to a smartphone (Droid) at a discounted rate. Still considering my options...but I've been a customer of Verizon for 6-7 years, always done the NE2 and have always paid my bills. But trying to get information on the Droid, and straight answers about costs and plans, has been a real pain in the ass. I really want this phone, but so far I'm pretty discouraged and frustrated. There's no way in hell I'm going to pay the $450-550 retail price. $199, while still expensive (for me, considering I've never paid that much for a phone) is acceptable to me.

Irish_car_B0mb 11-04-2009 06:30 PM

no i looked into it, you can upgrade to the droid and get the discount, from what i understand they are trying to push this phone hard, so no matter what you can get it at the discount rate as long as you change yoru plan to work with this phone. call *611 and ask to speak to a sales rep, they will give you the DL

plus verizon is trying hard to be out att witht he droid so if you go to the store level they will do a little bending over backwards for you.

zumnwrx 11-04-2009 08:52 PM

[url]http://phonedog.com/cell-phone-videos/iphone-3gs-vs-motorola-droid-dogfight-pt-1.aspx[/url]

dogfight = i-phone WINNER

vik682 11-05-2009 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=zumnwrx;2754595][url]http://phonedog.com/cell-phone-videos/iphone-3gs-vs-motorola-droid-dogfight-pt-1.aspx[/url]

dogfight = i-phone WINNER[/QUOTE]

Wow, the camera on the droid is so SLOW!!!

Irish_car_B0mb 11-06-2009 12:36 AM

imma be getting my droid here in about 8 hours. super stoked

SilverBlitzkrieg 11-07-2009 08:57 AM

Any reports on your new droid? How do you like it so far?

vik682 11-07-2009 01:38 PM

Yes!!... REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW!!

Current contract ends 12/28 and will definitely be getting it on 12/29.

soggynoodles 11-07-2009 03:05 PM

will it work with pornhub? I do like how the website is iphone friendly. :)

RayDZ 11-08-2009 09:17 AM

Went and picked this up the morning it was released. Awsome phone with a ridiculous amout of applications. The posibilites really are endless, the android os is really user friendly and smooth.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5ee5sCrK8[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcx0pxnqIQ&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=315D1BA5F925E5B6[/url]

Irish_car_B0mb 11-16-2009 09:08 PM

I'm on my droid right now and it is amazing

Superglue WRX 11-16-2009 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=RayDZ;2756530]Went and picked this up the morning it was released. Awsome phone with a ridiculous amout of applications. The posibilites really are endless, the android os is really user friendly and smooth.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q5ee5sCrK8[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcx0pxnqIQ&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=315D1BA5F925E5B6[/url][/QUOTE]

That really wasn't the most flattering review.

Also, no Flash support for this phone either??? :wtfdude:

The only thing I don't like about my iphone is the lack of multitasking (Flash support is kind of a pet peeve also). I'm not really sold on this Droid in regards to what I've seen so far. Maybe the next version or the next major update.

vik682 11-16-2009 09:55 PM

I believe theres an update or something coming in 2010 for flash enabled browsing for the droid

Irish_car_B0mb 11-16-2009 10:47 PM

[QUOTE=vik682;2760520]I believe theres an update or something coming in 2010 for flash enabled browsing for the droid[/QUOTE]

Ya. I was trying to watch some pr0n and it needed flash so when I went to adobe it said available beginning of 2010. One they get flash working this unstoppable . IPhone doesn't do flash Im pretty sure

pignoseWRX 11-16-2009 11:21 PM

after using it for a day i've decided that it is not as "sexy" as an iphone. it just doesn't look as sleek. i can't wait to get my silicone skin to have some of this stuff covered up. haha. i have an ipod touch and am a mac user but have refused to go to at&t. verizon's network plus this android 2.0 means this thing is wicked fast. it is somewhat frightening the amount of information google has (google.com/dashboard) but i'm trusting them to "not be evil".

google already runs my life and i traded in my blackberry for the droid. the integration with all the google stuff i use is amazing. the screen is brilliant. really. it renders webpages like they should be rendered, but the zoom on the browser is decidedly less flexible than that of the iPhone's. this is a huge upgrade over the t-mobile android phones. the physical keyboard works well, but like the g1 that i played with the "leftsided" shift takes some getting used to. my iPod touch seems smarter at recognizing my typing still or perhaps my muscle memory is to the iPod.

i'm really happy that vzw opened up their gps to google, but the gps KILLS the battery. i'm going to order the car dock tomorrow since they were backordered. the motorola version of the dock was supposed to come with a charger, but i already ordered a retractable micro USB charger on amazon.

it is heavy. especially compared to an iPhone. that's the first thing you'll notice. but it feels solid and built well. the first thing i noticed over the iPhone and over my blackberry is the call sound quality. i think moto really worked on this and did a great job. it's a hifi calling experience.

SilverBlitzkrieg 11-17-2009 09:34 AM

I went in to get the motorola Droid but liked the HTC Droid better.I have had it for two weeks now and love it so far. There are deff. some differences between the two but anyone interested in a new phone should keep it in mind.