22.58%
I'd rather have a GD if the new STi had standard fenders
12.90%
I don't have an STi, but would not buy one without the fenders
41.94%
I don't have an STi, but would still buy one regardless of fenders
9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

2008+ STi owners: Would you have bought your STi without the fender flares?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
2008+ STi owners: Would you have bought your STi without the fender flares?

A few of my friends and I were discussing this after seeing a hatch WRX and STi hatch side by side. The fender flares on the STi really make the car for me. Side by side they look like two different cars!

Current 08-09 STi hatch owners, would you have still bought your STi if it came with the standard Impreza fenders like every other impreza minus the STi has?

Side by side: (sorry for the really large pictures!)

Normal Impreza fenders:

STi flared fenders:

I know the second pic looks a bit exaggerated due to the lighting, but they still look drastically different.

Would you have still purchased your STi if it came with the standard Impreza fenders as seen in the first picture?

Also, my friend is now trying to source some 08-09 STi fenders for his 08 WRX... Or possibly even selling his car and buying an STi. All cuz of fenders!

Last edited by brucelee; 08-22-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:14 AM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Love the fender flares
looks whack w/o them
Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I guess they did that because its wrx vs sti. If it has most things a sti has they would have to charge more.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by soundwave
Love the fender flares
looks whack w/o them
Our conversation actually inspired the convo with my other friends.

I agree, the flares make the car, without them I just couldn't do it.

Imagine if the GD body only had fender flares on the STi only?!?! (The current flares that every Impreza comes with from 02-07)

Man, how whack would the non flared imprezas look with the GD chassis?!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
what did you trade your car in for a new one or something Daniel?

The flares make the car. The wrx sedan looks o.k when it's fixed up a bit and so does the hatch but no where near the sti. Pretty wack for the most part without the flares.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Although I voted that I wouldn't have bought the STi without the fender flares, I think I'd pay a little over the price of the WRX just to get the 6MT and DCCD.......and the extra 40HP.

.....well, assuming I didn't end up with an Evo X.....
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
What's inside the car is overall more important to me than what is on the outside. I'm not in love with the 08 body style, but I had 2 requirements when I bought a car:
1) Must be a brand new car... no effing way in hell am I dealing with anything used ever again even if it was "take really good care of" (unless it is a classic car or something)
2) Must be a Subaru WRX.

Being that I purchased my car in 2008, that left me with one option. I gladly dealt with the fact that it is not my most favorite body style in exchange for the fact that I know the car is solid, reliable, quick, handles well, has an amazing AWD system, etc etc.

It's not all about looks... unless you're talking about guys, of course
Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
I would have bought the STI for its Dual AVCS, tranny, and diffs. It would be more sleeper'ish with no fender flares.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
in the end i didnt get one becuase the flares were the only reason i wanted the car lol
Old 08-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by danielliez
What's inside the car is overall more important to me than what is on the outside. I'm not in love with the 08 body style, but I had 2 requirements when I bought a car:
1) Must be a brand new car... no effing way in hell am I dealing with anything used ever again even if it was "take really good care of" (unless it is a classic car or something)
2) Must be a Subaru WRX.

Being that I purchased my car in 2008, that left me with one option. I gladly dealt with the fact that it is not my most favorite body style in exchange for the fact that I know the car is solid, reliable, quick, handles well, has an amazing AWD system, etc etc.

It's not all about looks... unless you're talking about guys, of course

I hear ya, I'm still not a huge fan of the new hatch, and with the WRX (non flared) you can make it look a lot nicer with some pretty simple modifications.

Thank god for aftermarket mods! Otherwise no one would have purchased the 02-03 bug eyes!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Originally Posted by brucelee
I hear ya, I'm still not a huge fan of the new hatch, and with the WRX (non flared) you can make it look a lot nicer with some pretty simple modifications.

Thank god for aftermarket mods! Otherwise no one would have purchased the 02-03 bug eyes!

LOL Bugeyes are my favs

They are just so... cute! I dunno, they are the imprezas I fell in love with so there's just something about them for me.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
i want e46 m3 just for the fenders.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by danielliez
LOL Bugeyes are my favs

They are just so... cute! I dunno, they are the imprezas I fell in love with so there's just something about them for me.
I'm an original GC8 guy who was in the impreza scene in 1999... When we got word that a WRX was coming to the USA we were ecstatic!!! The thought of finally having the 2.0 turbo pocket rocket after all these years of waiting and wanting!

Then, after many false interpretations of what the car was going to look like, and some of them looked GREAT, we got the first pics of the new WRX, it was a red (Sedona red) bug eye...

Our stomachs dropped and our minds were filled with confusion and denial. There's no WAY that the new WRX is going to look like that! After the amazing looks of the GC, and 22B, we expected something nicer and along those lines, but boy were we disappointed! I don't think disappointed is the proper word actually. It was high riding, bug eyed, with strange styling cues and was pretty much the opposite of the GC... Instead of looking aggressive it looked very HAPPY... Something the WRX should have never been.

After a while people started to modify them with JDM projector lights, lowering them, and changing simple things like the grill and such, and it made a HUUUUUUUUUGE difference! I couldn't believe it, but I started to like the bug eye a lot! (Only when modified). International_B has a prime example of what the bug eye should have looked like in the USA to begin with. He has a USA bugeye with a V7 STi conversion and looks a lot like the S202.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jin
i want e46 m3 just for the fenders.
E46? I think the E30 M3 (the early 90's M3) had the best fenders! Well, next to an R34 Skyline which had the best damn body and fenders of any car, ever. I love the boxy sexiness of it.

And the best ever:

God damn that skyline is sick as hell.

Honestly, that white skyline is a prime example of what perfection looks like. Out of every car that has ever existed, that R34 is def in the top 3, and could quite possibly be #1 of those 3.
I wish subaru would make a coupe like that, I hate the fact that all of our cars are damn sedans! When you're tall and you have a sedan you fail because you have a damn B pillar to the left of your face so when you look over all you see is a damn pillar. The great thing about having a coupe (like my old RS) is the long doors/windows so you have a great deal of visibility. Down with sedans! If the EVO came in coupe form, I would not have an STi right now and would be driving an EVO.

Last edited by brucelee; 08-24-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Car Info: Audi Q5 aka "the old man wagon"
HAHAHA No way would I have bought my STI if it looked like a WRX.
IMO the wrx hatch is ugly. Then again I don't really find my STI thaaaat attractive, but it still looks way better.

Quick Reply: 2008+ STi owners: Would you have bought your STi without the fender flares?