Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

Need help please ihi vf34

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:47 PM

Question Need help please ihi vf34

I bought a 02 wrx wagon. I got it used and it had some parts on it. it seemed really fast. I later realized it has a turbo upgrade!!!. I'm still trying to find out what parts it has on it. I know it has a IHI vf34 turbo.WOW. I did research on the kit. I know it needs certain items to run correctly. So I know it has a down pipe,cat back, sti intercooler, Sti injectors and fuel pump. From my understandin it needs the ecu to be flashed or piggy backed. When I checked the ecu it diddn't seem to have either??? How do I know if the ecu has been flashed? I'm just trying to figure what parts are in the car and if there is something missing that would make it faster and reliable. IT only gets 300 miles to te tank so I know alot of work has been doone to it. Please reply
Old 08-27-2005, 10:50 PM

And I'm running 13 pounds off boost. I've ben reading tha other people are running more,How?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
I have a VF-34 that is running 18 pounds of boost, from what I have heard 16-18 is the average. Sounds like you have the makings of a really cool car !

Austin
Old 08-29-2005, 04:50 PM

Talking

I don't understand why I'm running lower boost??? 13psi. What sets the boost limit? How can I crank it up?? I thinking I must have a reflashed ecu because it's much more than stock power. I don't think having all these parts and not having the ecu reflashed it would produce this kind of power that it does.!!! Just trying to figure if this upgrade was a kit and where it came from.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:01 PM

Talking

I don't understand why I'm running lower boost??? 13psi. What sets the boost limit? How can I crank it up?? I thinking I must have a reflashed ecu because it's much more than stock power. I don't think having all these parts and not having the ecu reflashed it would produce this kind of power that it does.!!! Just trying to figure if this upgrade was a kit and where it came from.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 PM

Car Info: 04wrx
umm you posted twice
Old 08-30-2005, 04:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Assuming that you don't have any way to speak to whomever you purchased the car from, have you...

How do you know you have a vf34?
I don't know how you could know if you've had an ecutek reflash, and I know even less about the Cobb accessport, but if you wanted to study up on the Ecutek you could go here. That page lists all of the US dealers who you could go to to check your ecu for an ecutek reflash.
Do you know what to look for with regards to searching for some sort of boost controller?
When you purchased the car initially, what did he/she tell you they did to the car beyond installing a turbo?
Have you pulled the carpet back on the passenger side floor panel, and then pulled up the kickplate. That way you could tell if you have some sort of piggyback computer.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:23 PM

No I don't know who owned the car before me. I bought it used at a dealership in N.J. I'm from Ny. I carfaxed the car before I bought it. The last owner registered it in Cherryhill N.J. I just wanted to buy a wrx to replace my old suby and to get something fast. The car is a wagon,silver and had prodrive 17's on it. This is what got me interested in the car. I noticed it had an sti intercooler, ehaust,stainless brake lines and other parts. The dealership was unaware of what parts it had on it. I liked the price with all these parts. Once I drove it I fell in love. I'm use to cars with a good amount of power but WOW,Fast... So I bought it.
A friend of mine told me it had an aftermarket turbo and down pipe. Thats when we noticed the STI injectors and V7 suspention. It says IHI on the turbo and if I remember correctly it had 34 on the numbering. I've checked the forum about installing the Ecu and I checked it and opened it up. I don't see any piggyback or anything of the sort. I'm assuming it must be reflashed, but it looked like i was the first one in there. Of course I could be wrong!!! It has looks like pictures of stock ones I researched. I don't know. I just wished I knew what was done to the car. I was wondering if anyone had any imput.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
About the only piece of advice I can think of would be to take it to MSPT (NY), North Coast Subaru (NY), Rallitec (NJ - but who I'd probably recommend above all), and Concept 2 Product (NJ)
Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM

how much did u get it for? how much millege?
Old 10-03-2005, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
im not sure, but im guessing your running either a vf34 un- tuned or your not running a 34 possibly a 39...??? i could be wrong though.

i have a 34 and im running 17 pounds.

-Ave